• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

How Much Dough

Reaction score
Got out on the river yesterday under, FINALLY, warm and clear skies! As I was loading up I was thinking from a friends question how much money am I loading on/in my car. On market value, not what I paid, was around 3000$ worth of canoeing goods. Makes me wonder what I have tied up in gear, hulls, tools and the such to keep feeding this addiction, a good if you gotta have one. I might have to sit down one rainy miserable day and do some math work.

I'll tell you one thing, canoeing is cheap compare to mountain biking.... I have friends that rides $6-8K bikes and they don't have only one bike!!!!
I just got a new Millbrook solo ww canoe and it cost me just over 2k landed in my yard!!

Hmmm...
Boat, home built stripper or composite $600
Paddle, home built $30
PFD, not home built $100

If you count camping gear, well, that's another story!

Next to nothing compared to what I have riding around on the bass boat's trailer (and in the storage compartments which, incidentally, adds up to FAR more than the boat).

All hobbies that border on addition are money pits. Ask any drag racer with a sub-10 second car or a competitive benchrest shooter chasing IBS victories (or God-forbid; world records). Canoeing is cheap! (not to mention healthier and, in my opinion, a more effective escape from the "real world")

I believe it was Ronald Reagan who once said "there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse" but I have to wonder if he had ever paddled in the stillness of early morning as the fog lifted off the water of some remote lake where the evidence of humans was scarce. Both the horse and the canoe allow us to clearly visualize what it must have been like to be the first human to see an area but the canoe is, by far, the cheaper of the two.

Of course, either way: the ability to unplug completely and become one with the natural world: priceless!

A bit of a reach from the original question but we just put 7 trips out into the Adirondacks and the students were informed that they were collectively traveling with over $40,000.00 worth of gear. It was a bit of a wake up call for them. They had no idea how much was invested in them and their class.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Regardless of the hobby, we always spend just a bit more than we can comfortably afford. It feels more like a passion than simply a hobby if it causes a little bit of pain.

Whatever I spent on canoe goods in 50 years pales in comparison to what I spent on keeping and using horses for 20 years. I figure I"m ahead of the game whatever it is. What a downer thread.

BF, Had a horse for 3 years and agree, lots of $ spent on upkeep/food etc. Canoeing over time is much cheaper by a long shot. Not sure why you think it is a downer thread!

When I was looking to add an insurance rider to our homeowner’s policy I looked up the replacement cost for all of the canoes in the family fleet. It was eye opening; 40K was not far off, and that was without paddles, PFD’s, sails, tents, tarps, dry bags, etc.

All passions/hobbies cost money. Indeed, just living costs money. When Kathleen and I moved to Preeceville in 2008, we adopted five sled dogs from our friends in Inuvik. Three were 9 and two were 11. I told the vet that we were going to keep all the bills until the last one died, and then add them up.

”Oh, you don’t want to do that,” he said.

The last one died at 17.5 in 2016. Total vet cost, which didn’t include food, was a little over $20,000.00. Didn’t matter. We loved those dogs. Never blinked an eye at any bill. It was what it was.

And, BF, I also wonder why you consider this thread a downer. As I said before, passion costs. If we got the dough, it makes no difference. We should just enjoy our good fortune!

I'll tell you one thing, canoeing is cheap compare to mountain biking.... I have friends that rides $6-8K bikes and they don't have only one bike!!!!
I just got a new Millbrook solo ww canoe and it cost me just over 2k landed in my yard!!

I read Bicycling magazine when waiting in the dentist's office and last time there was an article about inexpensive bikes and inexpensive was defined as $3000!

I used to tell friends that asked "why do many canoes?" that altogether they cost less than a Harley.

If something happed to me I’d be afraid my wife would sell them for what I told her I paid for them! I’m just kidding, she has no idea what any of my tools or boats are worth.
Jim

If something happed to me I’d be afraid my wife would sell them for what I told her I paid for them! I’m just kidding, she has no idea what any of my tools or boats are worth.

Or sell them for 1/10 their actual value. Having twice seen elderly widows unknowingly sell Mad River Monarchs for $200 or less got me busy leaving instructions. At least I was too slow to respond to those ads, and didn’t have to suffer the karma of ripping off some old lady when I knew better.

I have lost some boathead friends whose accumulated fleets were likely scarffed up and resold by canoe flippers prowling Craigslist.

My wife knows what the family fleet is worth in total, but doesn’t care about or comprehend individual boat values, and couldn’t name the makes/models on the rack beyond an adjectival mystery “Bring that red canoe I like”. Which doesn’t narrow it down much to anyone but me.

Should something happen to me I have left written instructions regarding each canoe; which couple-or-three apiece the family should absolutely keep as their (custom outfitted for their individual physiology) personal boats, which are designated to go to specified friends and which they should consider selling, along with a reasonable used sale value.

That fleet destiny contemplation was well worth the time spent writing down make, model and HIN#

I can imagine a thread about money spent on canoe tripping gear and paraphernalia might be a downer if it felt like value wasn't achieved. Personally I hate the feeling when I buy something that winds up a total fail, either because I failed in the due diligence department, or because the product was a POS not worth the money spent. Which is why I do my best due diligence routine (she calls it my due dithering routine ) before I peel off any money from the printing press she thinks we keep in the basement. When the time finally comes to part with cold hard cash I feel moderately self assured I/we will receive fair value for my/our expense, so no downer there. And if the expense felt a little tingly and uncomfortable, I rely on my failing memory to come to the rescue and relieve me of any lingering downer doubts. And let's not forget the trust thing. I tell her everything, no secrets between us. I tell her exactly what I spent, on what and why. Right after I've spent it.
In all seriousness, we discuss any gear acquisition ideas, from chairs to paddles, tarps to sporks, and everything in between. The questions we ask ourselves are "How will this add to our tripping experience?" "How badly do we need this?" and "How easily can we live without it?" Money is a factor obviously, but cost is weighed against the answers of those 3 questions. That's where the personal value decision is made. And then we think and talk about it some more.
When I see our tripping gear neatly stored waiting for the next journey, and we don't have all that much compared to many of you, I don't see dollar signs.
I see endless lakes and meandering streams, quiet campsites and quieter portages, bluebird skies and howling storms, morning coffee and evening drams...

Last edited:
I don't get all this talk about what happens to our canoes/tripping equipment after we are gone. My family knows to put me in mine, push me into the middle of the lake and light it on fire.

Back