• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Hornbeck Canoes/Peter Hornbeck

Only met him a couple of times but it was always great to talk with him. He worked with me to build a boat for my Mom's 70th birthday. I didn't have a lot of money so he offered to make one in fiberglass off of a new mold he was going to use. He told me that the first boat on every mold was made from fiberglass so if there was a problem, the financial loss wouldn't be as great as it would be had he used kevlar (no carbon fiber then ) for the first boat. Anyway, he saved me a nice chunk of cash and my Mom still got a boat that only weighed in under pounds; and Pete still apologized for the boat being "so heavy." Quite the guy.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Who will replace all these talented boomers who so effectively and passionately promoted canoes, wilderness, etc.? I always thought it sad that his nomination to the APA was blocked.

The end of a true Adirondack Legend with stories to be told long into the future. I have three Hornbeck canoes hanging in my garage as part of my fleet. I'll see ya later, dear friend Peter.

Who will replace all these talented boomers who so effectively and passionately promoted canoes, wilderness, etc.? I always thought it sad that his nomination to the APA was blocked.
Same story with Brian McDonnell, well known wilderness outfitter, promoter of Boy Scouts guiding in the Wilderness, and Adirondack 90 miler race director since forever.

I bought a classic 10 1/2 from him. ran into him doing paddle trips in the adks. he always seemed more interested in promoting paddling, the adks, and his boats than making money. had long enjoyable conversations.He kept trying the get me back into one of his boats-even offered to loan me his for a trip. Guess time has run out for that to happen. RIP Pete!

Pete actually retired a couple of years ago and gave the reins to his son in law.
The last time I saw him he was really concerned about what the constant exposure to resins and vapors was doing to him, even though I know he wore PPE while working with the stuff. I don't think, and don't know that it would have any direct effect on the heart though.

Pete actually retired a couple of years ago and gave the reins to his son in law.

Good to know that someone will be carrying on his legacy of building fine ultralight canoes.

The last time I saw him he was really concerned about what the constant exposure to resins and vapors was doing to him, even though I know he wore PPE while working with the stuff.

That is a concern for anyone who builds boats, or even just routinely mess around with repairing old boats. There are a lot of things there that can eventually catch up to you, or at least sensitize you, from cedar and other wood dusts to Vinylester fumes to fiberglass dust. Some of the newer materials are as bad or worse; you really don’t want to inhale a lot of carbon fiber or graphite dust.

I wish I had done a better PPE job starting 30 years ago; never too late to start, and I am far more cautious about wearing a respirator and goggles and etc today. Even with full PPE I am sensitized to Vinylester and fiberglass dust and need to change clothes and shower immediately after long sanding sessions.

It never ceases to amaze me that I can cut or sand into a 30 year old Vinylester hull and the resin reeks as if it were applied yesterday.

Back