• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Helpful equipment for the solo tripper

JIm, you will love it!! It's like a little blacksmith forge. I have heated meals with forest duff, pine cones, all kinds of untreated wood, charcoal and dried Buffalo chip once. The chips were an experiment, not something I would do again unless I had to....

Does anyone else use a Sierra Zip Stove? I've loved mine for 25 years now. As long as there is some type of coal, wood or dander I can cook and it makes a nice mini campfire under a whelen or vestibule.
The Sierra zip stove is a real practical option, especially above tree line, I loved mine. On short trips I just take the Feul canister stove but for longer trips I wouldn't want to lug a bunch of fuel canisters. With the Sierra zip stove you can gather a couple days worth of dry fuel and it would fit in a small coffee can size container so you always have fuel available.

+1 on the Klymit Static V sleeping pad. They have a lot of different versions so you can basically save as much weight as you want by going with one of the ones with holes in it. But I find the regular Static V is small and light enough and is truly the best sleeping pad I have ever slept on - so comfortable!

I like the Klymit Static V so much, I bought a second one for a two-week road trip, so my wife could have her own....Actually, so I could have one while she used "mine". ;) While shopping for that. I discovered they also make a seat pad of the same construction - so I bought that. Sure made sitting for 8 hours a day in the car a lot easier to take. Now that I think of it, that thing would make a great canoe seat pad as well - if some way was devised to keep it from blowing away (probably an easy task). The new Static V has a different valve than the old one, but it worked perfectly.

Last edited:
Yeah actually I have 2 of the regular Static V, a Static V Luxe (which is wider), also a shorter one for kids, and the double bed sized one for me and me wife.

I like the new valve's better than the old ones actually.

Coming from quite a bit of backpacking experience into canoeing it was second nature to go light, but after a couple years of canoe trips I realized how much heavier we could go and still be "light"

The backpacking stoves are great and work very well but, one of the things we went back to using was the dual burner Coleman stove and latern (pump up type) the stove was like a suitcase so much stuff that could be packed into it, basically it was a kitchen in a box. Having a dual mantle full-size Lantern speaks for itself. Never broke a glass never lost a mantle in all the years we carried them on canoe trips, even though we always had spare mantles

my titanium folding twig stove is an Emberlit. works good and weighs practically nothing.

Having a dual mantle full-size Lantern speaks for itself. Never broke a glass never lost a mantle in all the years we carried them on canoe trips, even though we always had spare mantles

it shreiks to me EEK.. No thanks.. Doubtful we will ever camp together. I am of the Luci Light red headlamp ilk. Too many times paddling at night I have been beblinded by those Coleman stage lights..
To each his own..
:cool::)

Denise do you really carry a dual burner and that lantern on solo trips? If so where?

The biggest weight reduction I found was due to a twig stove. I still bring a fuel stove for emergencies, but not nearly as much fuel. The biggest downside is the blackening of pots. If someone has conquered this aspect of twig stoves, please tell me how. I feel like I still haven't found the best method of reducing, avoiding black pots.

Have you tried applying a coating of dish soap to the outside of your pots? It won't prevent soot buildup but it should make cleaning at least partially possible. I've found that while it won't prevent the soot I have found that the remaining soot that doesn't come off easily also doesn't transfer to your hands or pot bag.

I took a young man on a canoe trip and he was really eager to learn all he could. At the end of the week I Sent the blackened pots home with him with instructions for cleaning. Enthusiasm waned as he started scrubbing them in a basement sink. He left them and when h e went back at it several days later the soapy soaking made the job a breeze. In the end he taught me something too!

Back