• Happy Scream Day! 😱

Help me polish this turd :)

How could I tell if is indeed royal? Bring a scale? Lol. I looked and the graphics match the RX version. He did say he would do $500.
should I live on Ramen for a while and buy the last canoe I might need?

Triple-layer, rotomolded polyethylene canoes are not bad and are in fact pretty tough. The main disadvantage is their weight. The do tend to deform over time. Many will develop some permanent rippling of the hull bottom over time, but so long as the hull is not significantly hogged (bottom pushed upwards in the center) this is really more a cosmetic issue than a functional one.

Polyethylene canoes can be repaired. G Flex epoxy, made by West Systems, will bond acceptably to PE but only if you pretreat the material with flame oxidation. Flame oxidation is not difficult to do, and only requires an inexpensive, hand-held propane torch. To repair the crack pictured, it would be easier to first remove the deck plate. That would require drilling off the heads of the rivets securing it, and afterward replacing it, which would require a pop riveting tool.

Old Town made canoes they called the Charles River in both polyethylene and Royalex. But if the boat in question is truly 15' 8" in overall length, I would bet it is polyetheylene rather than Royalex. The Royalex version was very similar to look at, but had an overall length of 16' 3". An experienced eye can usually tell the difference between Royalex and roto-molded polyetheylene. If the boat has wood gunwales that sandwich the hull leaving the top on the hull visible between the inwale and outwale, you can see the separate inner and outer layers of vinyl on the Royalex material. But the boat is probably going to have synthetic gunwales that hide the hull top. Rotomolded PE boats sometimes have a salt and pepper appearance to the hull interior with small darkish specs. On Royalex boats, the interior vinyl is uniform in color. If there are areas of wear on Royalex hulls, usually on the hull bottom or exterior stems, in which the outer vinyl layer has worn through, the outer solid layer of the ABS material of Royalex will usually have a distinctively different color. On three-layer PE boats, the color of the outer solid layer will be uniform until you get to the foam core.

Last edited:
Any way to tell if it's RX from pics?

Attachments

• photo11974.jpg
    photo11974.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo11975.jpg
    photo11975.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo11976.jpg
    photo11976.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 2
Not with certainty, but I strongly suspect that boat is roto-molded polyethylene. That mold line running down the side of the hull was characteristic of the roto-molded Charles River hulls. The Royalex hulls had recurved tumblehome ("pinched gunwales") way up at the top of the hull, but did not have that line in that location.

Yes, I paddled a royalex Charles River once on a three day trip. I remember that tumblehome, it was almost knuckle like. I actually found the royalex version to be a bit small as a tandem. It was light for a royalex boat though, and looked great. Ask him to stand on a bathroom scale with the boat on his shoulders, then with just him, lol. He'll either tell you to go to heck, or do it if he's a motivated seller.

Thanks. I see the line. My very first question was poly or RX. He said Royal. I asked again twice but with other questions and he never did confirm.

Last edited:
Back