• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Help me choose a new camera?

Reaction score
I've been using a Nikon Coolpix B500 for tripping / hiking/ etc photos and I like it a lot (clear pictures, 40x zoom, video capability and great low-light performance) but it doesn't seem to be at all compatible with water. I got caught in the rain last week (and not a very hard rain), it spent 24 hours in the dehydrator, worked ok long enough to verify that it survived and has never worked again.

I don't take underwater pics but I want something that can actually survive a light-moderate rain, takes clear pictures even in low light, has good clarity and zoom, is capable of video and, if at all possible, uses AA batteries. I called Nikon to arrange repair evaluation and she said they've got nothing rain resistant. I wouldn't get it back in time for my Sept trip anyway so I'm buying something...

Anyone care to provide some input? (I don't mind buying but I hate shopping).

I also use the Nikon Coolpix B500. I have never liked taking it near water if it is not in a dry bag.

I picked up a camera for canoeing about a year and a half ago. I looked at the Nikon W300, the Olympus "Tough" series, Fuji, and the other waterproof cameras on the market. I ended up choosing the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30.

Pros: Size (a true pocket camera, thinner and smaller than others, also fits in my PFD pocket easily so it's always ready), price (about half the cost of the Nikon and Olympus), ease of use, decent quality photos (I'm not doing big enlargements), waterproof (so far) and shock resistant (judging by the drops and the dents that I have put in it without affecting the camera), the ability to have an extra charged battery handy.

Cons: Only 4x optical zoom (zoom range is comparable to the other brands of waterproof cameras), the small size makes holding it steady more difficult, a rechargeable battery that must be removed from the camera to be recharged, not the sharpest lens of the waterproof group (but still decent- a heck of a lot better than my old Minolta 110 waterproof camera from back in the '80s!), it will sink (put a float on the lanyard).

My runner-ups were the Nikon W300, pretty much neck and neck with the Olympus TG-6. Price and size swung me to the Panasonic.

Last edited:
I've been using the Olympus Tough waterproof cameras. I wish the zoom was longer but I've gotten by fine. A nice, simple, quality camera with a fast lens that takes good pictures. It's compact enough I can carry it in my pocket all day or stow it in the thwart bag for easy access. Mine has been wet all day with no issues.

It does not use AA batteries but honestly I'd never use a camera again that did use them. Extra batteries are cheap and plentiful and last a long time. I bought 5 extra batteries (non-Olympus brand) for my 30+ day trips and just swapped them out as needed. On one trip I shot a lot of video and almost used them all up. On another trip I hardly shot any video and had batteries to spare.

It was used for all the pictures in this trip report:

Alan

I’m not a camera guy at all, so I found these Sony Cybershot Dsc Wx5’s to be fine for canoe tripping at a reasonable price (I bought 2 used on eBay in the last 10 years iirc). Not water proof, but I have had one just wrapped in a ziplock tucked in my shirt or pant pocket for many trips. I carry a few extra batteries and have never had an issue.
I took my avatar picture shortly before I took the picture below. It was one of those “gotta move fast” opportunities, I was glad I had the camera in my pocket as the caribou appeared out of nowhere.

DSC02110_Original.jpeg

After I lost my trusty waterproof Pentax camera in Alaska, I wanted a compact camera with SLR-like features, a reasonable optical zoom, and a fast (2.0) lens. I opted to sacrifice waterproofness because I never shot in rain, rapids or when in risk of my canoe dumping. Plus, I also wanted a camera capable of shooting indoor basketball games. So, I got a Nikon COOLPIX P7800.

I changed my whole waterproofness approach to using a small Pelican case, which is leashed to a D-ring in front of me. I keep a microfiber cloth in the box for cleaning and cushioning. I can get the camera in and out of the box fast, and keep it on my body with a pinky ring lanyard.

This system has worked for 10 years and the camera has never gotten wet. I'm sure there are even faster and zoomier compact cameras now, but I'm not up on the models. I also use my phone in an AquaPac phone case.

Canon P7800.jpg

Pelican Case.JPG

Our house was broken into several years ago and the little twerps cleaned us out of all that was of any pawn shop value including a really nice camera. I decided to replace that DSLR with a water proof point and shoot. I suppose the Olympus Tough 820 (?) is a bit better than a p&s but it certainly is simplified enough for half decent pics, and I have shot beauties with it. I only have 3 minor issues with this camera.
1) It isn't quite simple enough for me. I used to love my fully manual SLR back in the stone age of basement darkrooms and artsy b&w film but I no longer have that Poindexter patience. Give me 2 buttons and a Hey Presto result. Navigating thru menu options up-down-left-right etc.
2) The battery is crap. It runs down after 1 day of use, regardless of whether I turn the camera off or leave it on. Maybe just a lemon battery.
3) The previous 2 issues I could live with but the shrinking screen as I've aged became too difficult. When my wife finally trusted me with a new "smart" phone with a big screen I got the picture. (sorry) My phone takes just as decent pics as the camera ever did. Not sure if that's a refection of improved technology or a sign of my pathetic photo "skills", and that's a rhetorical question I don't want the answer to.
Besides these 3 very trivial problems the Olympus Tough works great.
Cameras are one of those items of beautiful symmetry of technology and aesthetic design that could easily lead to expensive collecting. Kinda like cars and canoes. Who wouldn't want a shelf full of Hasselblads, Leicas, and Nikons. Citroens, BMWs, and Chevys. Chestnuts, Chestnuts, and Chestnuts.

Last edited:
For anything water related, canoeing, boating, fishing, even hiking, I use an Olympus TG-6. It's a good camera with plenty of options, is highly configurable, and works well under water.

Here are a couple of unedited shots from the TG-6.

20200809_2580resized.jpg1692456047344.jpeg

I wrestled with this for a couple months this summer. I was sold on the TG6 until I really took a close look at the image quality for prints. I wasn't a huge fan of the limited zoom, either, but but I thought it was worth the compromise.

I ended up buying a Panasonic Lumix FZ300. Way nicer feature set, and markedly better image quality. Panasonic touts it as weather resistant, which has been good enough for me so far. I purchased through Adorama, and so was able to add a 3-year drop/damage policy for $69.

I was in a similar situation, after losing 2 Canon cameras to the water (either totally lost or fatally wet) I bought a Panasonic Lumix DC-TS7.

It's very well made, takes reasonable pictures (not so good for low light) and decent video. Not much in the way of zoom which is the one thing I miss over the Canon but that is the norm for waterproof cameras. battery life is excellent, additional batteries are cheap and you can recharge in the camera with a power bank. I've only had minor drops none of which result in any sort of dings/dents to the case (it's a really solid unit).

I paid $220 for mine (eBay) in 2019, just had a quick look now, they seem to be selling for about $350 these days (this model has been discontinued for quite a while).

For any of the waterproof point and shoot cameras it's a trade off, If you want all the features and qualities of of larger cameras a waterproof case add on is really the only way to go.

Some 2023 professional reviews of waterproof cameras:

It's a couple years old but the only real (as in they actually used the cameras extensively) water proof camera shootout I've found is over on DpReview. Under each camera is a link to its individual in depth review (if they have one).

Alan

It's a couple years old but the only real (as in they actually used the cameras extensively) water proof camera shootout I've found is over on DpReview.

DPReview in 2021 picked the Olympus Tough TG-6 as #1, and so did every 2023 review I posted.

Personally, I wouldn't spend $500 for a camera with a relatively slow lens, very limited optical zoom, and a bunch of complicated, fiddly menus unless I wanted to shoot literally underwater a lot. I'd use my phone in a AquaPac case, as I do, or get a non-waterproof point & shoot camera in the $100-$150 range and use a soft waterproof case or a hard Pelican box.

Thanks to all; I'm really not sure where I'll end up on this. The ability to zoom and the low light performance are probably the most important features IMO. Unfortunately, it seems that anything waterproof lacks in both of these features. My phone works well and has as much zoom as most of the pocket cameras so I'm probably looking for something similar to the Nikon (maybe another B500?) and making sure it's in a drybag at the first raindrop. Just disappointing that "water resistant" is not an option.

DPReview in 2021 picked the Olympus Tough TG-6 as #1, and so did every 2023 review I posted.
I'll second the Olymppus Tough camera. Mine has traveled with me during five Yukon River races and has taken hundreds of photos that have gone into DVD and movie preseentations for team and friends. It is actually not only waterproof, but it also has an underwater photo setting that I have used to take photos of grandchildern while several feet underwater in swimming pools. Never had any problem with leaks or water damage, not during heavy rain downpours and rough treatent swinging from my bow thwart in the Yukon, nor in mild kicking around underwater in swimming pools.

I've been using an Olympus Tough TG 830 for a long time now and it has taken a beating and still takes great photos. It is small and convenient. Here is one from a recent river trip:

1692575796445.jpeg

I used a Canon SX30HS for about 10 years before violating my rule - camera goes in the waterproof box before
entering or exiting the canoe. I replaced it with a used SX50HS for about $200.
My first box was a Pelican, but broke the latches after a year because I was putting the camera in and taking out so often.
I have a waterproof box that I found at Home Depot for $15. It's lasted 10 years with no problems.
I found both of these cameras to be fine in light rain. I do lock them up if it is dumping.
I too would love to have a long zoom point and shoot that was waterproof.

I replaced it with a used SX50HS for about $200.
I like the specs on that Canon Scott. How does it do in low light? I'm leaving in 2 weeks and keep remembering the last night of my Round lake loop (BWCA) trip in '21. The moon that night was awesome and I know the Nikon would have nailed the pic. My phone, unfortunately, fell short but sh... stuff happens.

I'm going to take pictures from the canoe and risk getting my cameras wet (it's just what I do) and I fully expect to own a piece of junk if I dump (I only hope I can recover the sd card). I've found another B500 (used and cheap enough to consider it semi-disposable)... just hoping to find something water-resistant before the window closes to get it here in time for Labor Day.

Over the years I've found the best camera is the one you have available. Back when I was shooting full frame DSLR cameras with very expensive lenses I was a bit dismayed when, reviewing what I considered to be my best photos, I found the majority of my favorite pictures were taken with my small P&S cameras. The reason being that they were always with me and could be quickly called into action.

I feel the same about a truly waterproof camera. I could make up a long list of the things I wish my waterproof Olympus did but when it comes to waterproof cameras there isn't anything else that offers those features either. But what it does allow me to do is carry it in my pocket all day long even when it's raining or I'm wading through waist deep water.

And since it's in my pocket it's always with me whether I'm in the canoe, on the portage trail, or in camp. There's little chance I'm going to stop in the middle of a portage and take off my pack to access a camera. But it's no problem at all to pull a camera out of my pocket and snap a pic or two. Often a good opportunity doesn't wait for you to retrieve a camera that's either in a box under your seat or 30' away in camp.

If I was still into photography I'd seriously consider brining a nicer camera that could be kept in a waterproof box that could be used when I was in the mood to take photographs but I'd still have that waterproof camera in my pocket all the time and I'm guessing it would provide my favorite pictures of the trip.

I also keep a floating wrist loop attached to the camera so if it does go in the drink at least it won't go to the bottom.

Alan

But what it does allow me to do is carry it in my pocket all day long even when it's raining or I'm wading through waist deep water.

And since it's in my pocket it's always with me whether I'm in the canoe, on the portage trail, or in camp.

Alan, you make a strong argument for a small waterproof P&S camera when on a long wilderness trip with lots of weather and portages. There are similar arguments for regular whitewater paddlers. I owned one for many years and it was the best choice for me then for those kinds of paddling.

However, the arguments became much less applicable to me when my frequency of those two types of paddling scaled way down and I became mostly a flat water day paddler and moving base camp paddler, as many here are. So, I suppose it all depends on what kind of paddling one does and what kind of photos one likes to take. For example, there is a poster on another site who takes absolutely gorgeous zoom and macro photos of wildlife—her specialty—in Florida from her pack canoe and kayak with a non-waterproof super-zoom Canon compact set on auto.

And I have to admit my phone in its Dry Pak case takes darn good pictures and is even smaller and more carry-able than my waterproof compacts. I keep it in a pocket of my PFD. The only problem is that if I ever take a long wilderness trip again, I'd probably have to bring some sort of charging mechanism. Here's my PFD with AquaPac/Dry Pak cases for my car's smart key and my phone.

Waterproof cases.jpg

Back