• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Header Picture submissions

Reaction score
I am going to attempt to change the home page picture and the header picture here soon, and I would like some canoe tripping pictures. If not, I'll use my own till I find some and get permission's.

It looks like it's pretty easy to change the picture, it's just that I have the "first time" jitters. Once I make the plunge, I would like to change them on a regular basis, including all points on the compass to show the various membership locations.

Any ideas for sources would be welcome, or a pm with a link to your photo's with permission to use one here and there would be welcome...
or else it's more Green Chestnuts;)

Robin,

Here's one of my recent favs from last year...feel free to use as you see fit. I can send a full res image if you need.

From upper Upper Jessup River, Adirondacks...

DSC_6596.JPG

I was thinking about the picture the other day, I met Willis for the first and only time just before that picture. That's the beaver dam between Little Tupper and Round Pond.

Memorial Day weekend 2010.

Well, it's true I enjoy looking at all the great photos that you all post. But I'm a world class stick in the mud. When I sign on to the site I like to see the same thing, it sort of grounds me that I'm where I wanted to go. Now, if we had one of those great photos of Robin and his green canoes to my mind that would be great. But for me I'd like it to remain the same, then, if under that you have the latest new photos area that would be dandy.
Just my opinion, and maybe I don't understand what you are intending.
Best Wishes, Rob

It's kind of sad seeing the canoe with out a owner . It's time to change the picture. WC canoe would be sweet. Robin, it's your site now, you did the work to keep it open. It seems like it should be your boat up top now. Dave

Robin, If you want to rotate some pictures some where, maybe we could have a photo of the month section and all vote. It would give the photographers a chance to compete and we all would benefit from their beautiful pictures. I can see Oldie's point he is making about the header not changing all the time. Dave

Last edited:
Robin, I agree with Rippy and Canoencowboy that we would all enjoy seeing one of your great pictures up there.

I do like the idea of having a photo gallery where single photos could be uploaded without a trip report. Perhaps just an explanation of when and where it was taken would suffice. I truly enjoy looking at the photos that accompany trip reports but sometimes great photos are taken on afternoon outings and other shorter paddles which may not need much story line other than place and time.

How about an annual photo contest, resulting in a header change? I love the existing one, but understand the need to move on. I would like the first new header to be a photo by the fellow who resurrected this site for all of us to enjoy. I'm sure Robin has a gem of a photo of a treasured Chesnut to share.
A photo gallery is also a great idea.

Woops, I appreciate all the input, now I have to give it some thought. I like the single photo idea with just a location added, that would be easy and interesting. But it would have to be a picture like Stripperguy's, not a link (great picture SG),

But Thanks, Great ideas and offers, some I didn't consider. No hurry.

No doubt wood canoes are beautiful, but perhaps a cluster of canoes of all types in a tripping setting would be more all inclusive.

It all depends on your target poster. For sure there is a need for a wooden canoe tripping forum. Look at all those canoes at Assembly that rarely see the water.

I find the original lonesome photo rather sad and, like some others, would like to see it updated to something a little livelier. A photo with somebody using a canoe some way whether it be canoeing, portaging or lining.
But, hey, its your site and no matter what changes you make, we all really appreciate that you're keeping it open and available to us.
Good work good buddy.
Ted

Thanks for the input, all your thoughts are very helpful and I'll think about it during my trip to Maine this week. Nothing like the smell of pines and a campfire to help sort things out.

Thanks for the input, all your thoughts are very helpful and I'll think about it during my trip to Maine this week. Nothing like the smell of pines and a campfire to help sort things out.

Well get the right light and arrange the packs... there's your pic!

Given this is now Robin's site, I vote for a picture of one of his Chestnuts.

Also, since this is a site with a focus on canoe tripping, I think the picture should include packs and paddle, which Stripperguy's nice picture, for example, doesn't have. My further narrow opinion is that the packs should be traditional Duluth packs and not ugly plastic blue barrels.

What Stripperguy's photo has is good lighting. That's a must. Natural lighting, not fake Photoshop cartoon lighting.

No person should be in the photo. That would personalize it too much and detract from the timeless universality of the traditional canoe.

Thanks for the ideas Glenn. I don't use blue barrels, but lots of folks do. Same with canoes, lots of different canoes out there used for tripping, big long WENONA's out in the Boundry Waters, Clippers in the west, big tandems used as solo's up north, square stern's in Maine, pond hopping solo's in the ADK's, all of which (I think) would be interesting to share.

Thanks for the vote on the Chestnut's though, for sure there will be one in there once in a while.:)

Back