• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Great film about canoeing in the 50's

Great old film, thanks for sharing. I remember when the BWCA had signs marking the portages and you were supposed to burn your cans and sink them in the lake. Aluminum changed all that.

Dig the suspenders and the campaign hat. I like the tent too.

I really enjoyed those films. While some "production values" might look dated to some, the message never gets old.
Years ago we took our kids to the Bush Plane Museum in Sault St. Marie. Our eldest was and is into aviation. I was secretly really excited too, but insisted "it was a trip for the kids." The secret may have been blown when I squeezed into the cockpit mockup to watch a film about a bush plane pilot's day on the job. It's been years since we've been there. http://www.bushplane.com I'll have to put it on my, I mean my kids', redo bucket list.
Thanks Red.

Thanks for the video. It was neat to see the pictographs on Hegeman Lake and then look to the right of my computer and see the same grouping in a photo I took back in '95 while visiting the area. It brought back a lot of great memories.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Cans before aluminum were mainly tin and I guess it was thought (I don't really know) that if you burned them and then sunk them they would break down and disintegrate. Aluminum has a much longer shelf life. I don't really know the science, just know what the rules were and what I was told was the reason for the change and the eventual ban on cans and bottles in the BWCA.

I guess you'd be in really big trouble then if your aluminum canoe ever sank in a BWCA lake!!

So far only watched the bush plane episode but that was sure cool. I went to that bush plane museum with my Dad 15-20 years ago, I think he went to humor me as I'm an airplane mech. but he definitely enjoyed it too, time well spent for sure. That museum is the first time I'd ever seen one of those Norseman aircraft that was featured in the film, a very cool thing for an airplane geek such as myself. Thanks for the videos, looking fwd to seeing the first one.

Red Lake is the self proclaimed Norseman Capital of the world and our annual summer festival is called the Norseman Festival. I think it is but a shadow of what used to be as is so often the case here but the bush plane heritage here is deep. At coffee the morning there were three people there that knew that Parson from the film. The debate was what the tail registration was on the plane.

Thanks, I watched both early this morning and enjoyed them. The boys in Quetico had a nice outfit, I got some "new" ideas for this season. Thanks

That bush pilot Jim Johnson looked like Elvis, and the middle aged Indian lady with the "Love will keep us together" tee shirt proves how popular Captian and Tennille where back in the day!

th

Red Lake is the self proclaimed Norseman Capital of the world and our annual summer festival is called the Norseman Festival. I think it is but a shadow of what used to be as is so often the case here but the bush plane heritage here is deep. At coffee the morning there were three people there that knew that Parson from the film. The debate was what the tail registration was on the plane.
It would have been something to see all of them back in the day. A looog time ago I used to work on antique airplanes, even owned one, nothing as fantastic as those Norsemans tho'.

RED

You should make the trek to Red Lake to see the Norsemans in action. The festival which falls on the third weekend in July offer Norseman rides and a flyby which at one point was 9 Norseman's doing the fly by. It sure is neat to watch. If you are an aviation buff you may be interested in seeing Pete MacLeod who may be in town for the event. He is from here or atlas he grew up here. His parents own a fishing camp and his mother was a teacher until retirement. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_McLeod Two years ago Dave (brother of astronaut Chris) Hadfield appeared as a musician but may be back involved with his vintage wings plane.

As spring is starting to take hold here I am itching to hear the first float plane take off in Howey Bay. For me that sound is the signal that summer has arrived. For threats of the summer it is steady and some locals say they are sick of it, I never tire of hearing them or seeing fly just overhead as the come into the bay for a landing. Sorry for waxing nostalgic.

When I was in Red Lake, I thought the float plane up on display in town was neat. I drove by it 3 times for no good reason!

Very fitting, and I enjoy hearing local "nostalgia", Thanks

When I was in Red Lake, I thought the float plane up on display in town was neat. I drove by it 3 times for no good reason!

Very fitting, and I enjoy hearing local "nostalgia", Thanks

Interesting fact, that plane has never been officially "decommissioned" The registration is still active

If I am not mistaken, Northways used to fly out of Matheson Island, but that looked a lot like the float base in Selkirk. Matheson Island has a paved runway. If I get bored I may take a drive out to Selkirk and see what is parked there.

A lot of the float planes in the Territories now are twin otters, that is what we use.

Back