• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Fiberglass cloth (rolled or folded)

G

I'm ordering fiberglass cloth for a cedar strip canoe. In Canoecraft, Ted says to be sure and order the fiberglass rolled and not folded. He says wetting the folds out will be very difficult if not impossible.

However, Gil Gilpatrick in "Building a Strip Canoe" does not mention this.

Does anyone have experience wetting out folded fiberglass? Do I indeed need to pay the extra shipping costs to order rolled?

you could always email Gil directly. My hunch ( and its a hunch) is that the fold will have a mind of its own.. I haven't seen any builders have stacks of folded glass..but have seen rolls.

Ok, I will stick to rolled. Was trying to save on shipping, but I don't want the hassle if it truly is.

I used to buy exclusively from Merton's, Joe always folded. I never had a problem, but then again I never bought anything thinner than 6 oz from him.
RAKA rolls...

FG seems to have a memory. If boat FG behaves anything like the stuff used in screen doors, definitely get it rolled.

I got some rolled that didn't have a core, where it folded over caused separation in the threads in the fabric when laying it out on the boat. Not a huge issue but next time I get glass from my supplier I will take a core with me.

Back