• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Favorite piece of discontinued gear?

My wife's joints act up when "it's going to get damp soon". I've never thought of using her as my own personal wet weather forecast. I sympathize with her sore joints; I get them too, but mine are not attuned to barometric pressure quite like hers are. We always keep topical treatment handy for the both of us. A friend of mine gave me some muscle rub for horses; he's a horse guy. I thought at first - wait for it - he was just horsing around. But the stuff really works. We have a medicine cabinet collection of different joint and muscle ointments, just a matter of what we want to smell like any particular day.

I bought my Coleman Peak1 years ago, and it's never given me any issues. I've never even cleaned it. Mind you, it hasn't gotten a lot of use. We prefer to cook over wood fires. I've considered other fuel stoves but never saw the point of replacing something that works fine and sees little use. I'm all excited these days about replacing the Coleman with an alcohol burner instead as a backup for camp cooking. It sure would cut down on size and weight. That would save us enough room for another bottle of wine.

Last edited:
I have a Schmidt Pack Saw from LLBean made in Maine, Bean dosn't sell them anymore and the new ones are made in the mid west. (nothing against the new ones, I just like my old Maine made saw)
I have a Snow and Neally cruiser ax before they went to China (and came back)
I have a Schrade Uncle Henry folding lock back from the 80's before manufacturing went to China, I have carried it on every trip since.
I have and use a Chestnut Chum which they don't make anymore.

I am or was a Peak 1 fan. I replaced the generator tube on the one I had. The replacement tube didn't fit right--too high, it touched the bottom of the cook pot, which prevented it from getting hot enough to gasify the fuel. I was unable to find a proper fitting generator tube, and got rid of the stove. Then I wished I could find another. Been getting by with an MSR noise maker, but this thread makes me think I should look for a used Peak 1. They gotta be out there.

I didn't know there was such a thing as after-market rain gutters.

I use to have a peak 1 stove, long long time ago... I hated it, I was young and didn't have all the experience I have now, that said I don't know if I would have liked it more... I was happy when it died!

My 1995 Wilderness Systems Chesapeake kayak. It is constructed with fiberglass and weighs 36 pounds! The deck is woodland camo and the hull is spruce. They did make them in kevlar. It is a dream to paddle as it cuts the water efficiently and is stable and fast for a recreation kayak. They built them with the hunter and fisherman in mind.I have done1 and 2 week trips on Adirondack lakes,streams and rivers. I have paddled it in windy rough conditions,rain and snow and meandering streams.I have spent all day paddling and exploring in it! I built my own yoke to portage it on my shoulders with my boundary pack for one trip portages! I would have great difficulty parting with my kayak!

My 1995 Wilderness Systems Chesapeake kayak. It is constructed with fiberglass and weighs 36 pounds! The deck is woodland camo and the hull is spruce. They did make them in kevlar.

Great little craft. 12 feet x 28 ½ inches. The old Wilderness Systems catalogs list differing weights for the Chesapeake. The 1998 catalog lists 30 lbs in kevlar and 36 in glass, the 2000 catalog says 35 lbs in kev and 46 lbs in glass.

12 feet wouldn’t be conducive to my tripping style, but the Chesapeake would be a wonderful pocket boat for day paddling, fishing, waterfowling or bird watching. I have never seen a Chesapeake for sale used, which says something.

Likewise the similar vintage discontinued Pamlico Lite/Pamlico 145 T-Pro. 15 feet 1” x 30 ½ inches, 56 lbs in kevlar (less if soloized). The early generation plastic Pamlico 145 hull was a great design, and the stretched composite version even better. Another unicorn used.

I think those were all John Sheppard designs.

My 1995 Wilderness Systems Chesapeake kayak. It is constructed with fiberglass and weighs 36 pounds! The deck is woodland camo and the hull is spruce. They did make them in kevlar. It is a dream to paddle as it cuts the water efficiently and is stable and fast for a recreation kayak. They built them with the hunter and fisherman in mind.I have done1 and 2 week trips on Adirondack lakes,streams and rivers. I have paddled it in windy rough conditions,rain and snow and meandering streams.I have spent all day paddling and exploring in it! I built my own yoke to portage it on my shoulders with my boundary pack for one trip portages! I would have great difficulty parting with my kayak!

Hey there, Troutstalker, we have chatted bbefore on another forum. Good to see you here. And yeah, I still haven't found another Chessie. If you haven't already done so, the group here will like to see pix of your yoke system.

Mike - a few years ago, tthere was a camo Chesapeake for sale in Florida. That was the last one I saw, and I cast my net wide on a regular basis. The guy who sold me ours didn't know what he had, and neither did I until I got it home and did some checking. Paddling it was a real surprise.

Re: roof gutters....sort of.

That was a major feature of the Isuzu Trooper that makes me miss it. That was the ideal canoe hauler for me. Wish they would have kept the basic design with updated internal features.

I will miss what I believe were called Cascade Cups maybe sold by REI. Made of stainless steel just like the ubiquitous Sierra Club Cup, except the top was smaller in diameter, and taller like a real cup. Open bottom stiff wire handle, that gives a comfortable many fingered grip, that also went around and under the rim of the cup, that somehow helped keep you from burning your lips while sipping hot black coffee or tea. They stacked nicely and fit into coffee pots nicely for storage. If you like me like your beverage of choice really hot you can rewarm your drink by setting it back on a couple of coals in or near the campfire without the worry of a melted cup. At one time I had four of these cups, now can only find two, that I keep a close eye on. I like and kinda collect painted tin cups but, they pale in comparison to these long discontinued cups.

My old Eureka draw-tite canvas tent. it has an aluminum frame with 2 ridge sections. very roomy design, super in the wind, can't beat canvas for comfort. I think they made a 4 man? I would love to have one of those.
Turtle

Coleman 502 stoves. A sweet little compact stove. It's not the lightest stove on my self but an old favorite(s)

Mine would have to be my Coleman Peak 1 Powermax fuel stove. I have used it a long long time and they discontinued the fuel several years ago. I refuse to pay 20.00 for a can of fuel when I can find it so I bit the bullet and bought a new MSR windburner.

Back