• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Duct tape spool

I bought a roll of 357 a few years ago, I had used it at worked and liked it. I have some left but it's too old to trust the adhesive any more. I ended up with Gorilla tape last year, but thanks to this thread it's on my list of things to find for next a lot earlier.

I tried Gorilla tape and was dissapointed. It is real strong,but it's adhisive isn't-kind of defeats the purpose. I bought some special tape for emergancys,dont remember right now what it was,but I fixed a friends portage pack on the bottom with it and it held.I'll try to find it's name.
Turtle

Sorry to hear that. I have some that I've used it for a few things, but nothing too strenuous... may have to re-think it. thank you.

I tried Gorilla tape and was dissapointed. It is real strong,but it's adhisive isn't-kind of defeats the purpose. I bought some special tape for emergancys,dont remember right now what it was,but I fixed a friends portage pack on the bottom with it and it held.I'll try to find it's name.
Turtle

I’ve had success with Gorilla tape in a couple of different applications. When I cut rope I first wrap the area I’m going to cut with 1” Gorilla tape and then cut in the middle of the tape before flaming the ends. I’ve also used the 1” wide rolls of Gorilla tape to replace the missing seam tape on a couple of decked boat rebuilds.

In that application I alcohol wipe the hull, wrap the seam with Gorilla tape and then run a heat gun along the full length, pressing the tape into the hull behind the heat gun with a gloved hand. The tape has been on one decked hull for several years now with no sign of failure.

Maybe heat helps with the Gorilla tape adhesion. I don’t have a heat gun in the field, and couldn’t use that technique for dry bag holes or etc, so I carry Nashua 357 in the repairs kit.

We take a full roll always, although somewhat crushed flat. It is in the rope bag which always goes so we know where it is when needed. Despite that, Duct Tape itself is on our trip checklist so we can ensure it is indeed in the rope bag.

That was a helpful link to the 3 duct tape strengths, just like Seeker described. Oddly enough, the 3M display in Home D showed no strength categories. I bought a roll of Gorilla premium to be on the safe side. I also e-mailed my US brother with my predicament, along with a Nashua 357 purchase request. I figured no sense in ever running out in my lifetime. He wants to know if I'm building a backyard lunar module. What a smart arse. We'll see who laughs last, if he ever needs some on our summer paddling get togethers. "Borrowing" some might cost him dearly. Say, 2" = 1 cigar; 4" = 1 cigar & 1 shot of Balvenie.

moisture resistance

moisture resistance

I have been lucky that I've not yet had to do field repairs with duct tape. Using the stuff around home I've noticed that some brands are fussier than others about sticking to moist surfaces. Really useful tape for field repairs would need to be both strong and capable of good adhesion where there is a bit of moisture - it would be a rare day when you would need to use it and have a really dry surface to work with. In my experience, Gorilla tape does not stick well unless the surface is bone dry. For this reason, I do not carry it when tripping. So far I've preferred some generic stuff which sticks in spite of a bit of moisture.

Peter

My experience

My experience

I always take duct tape,but have only used it for a cut once. I do take a spool of mil surplus snare wite,and have fixed several seats,thwarts, and packpacks with it.
Turtle

Back