• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

Don’t tape your paddles

Reaction score
I let a very “experienced” paddler put gorilla tape on my paddles when a bundle was created with our group’s paddles to carry on a plane. Today, I’m going to sand my paddles and try to repair he damage that was done - including ripping a layer of wood off when the tape was removed. Moral of this story: don’t put sticky stuff on a sound paddle.

Attachments

• photo17540.jpg
    photo17540.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 2
  • photo17541.jpg
    photo17541.jpg
    410.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo17542.jpg
    photo17542.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 2
  • photo17543.jpg
    photo17543.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 2
  • photo17544.jpg
    photo17544.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
When we travel we put our paddle in a light ski bag, or we use Voilé straps to keep them together... voilé strap as are a great piece of kit to have and are useful for a lot of different applications!!
As for the tape, if tape as to be use, electrical tape is the tape to use, it won’t bandage the finish on your paddle!!

I have used small wraps of different colored electrical tape on the shaft just below the grip to distinguish my paddle from others'. White tape with the paddle length written on it distinguishes my different size paddles from one another.

When we family travel we bring, at minimum, four double blades and four singles. It makes for a crazy armload of paddles just carrying them out of the basement, and I want them kept together and a bit protected in the back of the van.

I bought a close-out double ski bag; it is padded and plenty big enough for those 8 sticks, with room for the golf umbrella, push stick and telescoping tarp poles.

I’ve also used it on paid shuttles where 15 people, some not in our party, cram into a van and everyone’s gear gets piled in the canoe trailer. Grab one bag at the put in and know I have all our paddles and other long linear gear.

Handy enough that I bought a close-out snowboard bag for smaller group needs. Might want to wait for Spring and check Steep & Cheap or REI Garage for discounted ski or snowboard bags.

Or maybe not, Steep and Cheap has a 68” x 19” bag on sale right now for $30

https://www.steepandcheap.com/burton...3dib2FyZCBiYWc=

I let a very “experienced” paddler put gorilla tape on my paddles when a bundle was created with out group’s paddles to carry on a plane. Today, I’m going to sand my paddles and try to repair he damage that was done - including ripping a layer of wood off when the tape was removed. Moral of this story: don’t put sticky stuff on a sound paddle.

Don't you love those "experienced" paddlers? I had a guy from Maryland who needed a canoe as he insisted on going solo on the Allagash; we were in a group of nine and shared meal prep etc. It is a leisurely five day trip from Churchill Dam to the Village. I lent him my Raven.

He ran Chase sitting in the bottom of the boat. Like a beer boozed tuber he somehow made it through. Paddle never touched the water. He blamed the boat for being too twitchy ( for those of you with Ravens stop laughing!.. How is the canoe equivalent of a Mack Truck unstable?)

Then on the lakes he kept lagging behind. Putting three paddle strokes in a row was too hard. Again the boats fault.

He was my kitchen partner. He said he forgot his share of our meal. Being a cynical type I had extra. Then he refused to do the dishes. That is when the four letter words referencing his mother started to fly from me. Never again do I trust paddling with absolute strangers. None of you are strange to me however.

If the weather over your way is the same as it is here today is a good sanding day.. Take heart. Do you sew or crochet? I can crochet paddle bags though ski bags work well as the skis have gotten wider too. I hate my sewing machine.

Yikes! I've only ever used masking tape on a paddle when varnishing or oiling the blade or shaft. Hope your efforts pay off. It would be a shame to lose a good paddle in this way.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

The gorilla tape is what the "experienced" paddler used to tape our paddles together. I didn't put it on there!

I have yards of 100% cotton, some of which I'm making into paddle bags for my friend and I. I love my sewing machine:) The bag can be easily stowed away for the return trip home.

The tripping truck has a six foot long locking box built into one side of the bed. All of the long linear stuff goes in that box; heaviest stuff first, on the bottom; shot gun, tarp poles, axe. Then the wood paddles and last atop the pile the carbon fiber sticks.

Everything is still jostling around on rough roads, and I don’t want the paddles nicked or scarred, so I put each one in a paddle sock.

Paddle socks are pricey. Gun socks from a big-box store are not, and are stretchy enough for even the widest paddle blades.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Allen-Com...tment/49688512

I’ve been using the same Remington gun socks for the last 15 years or so. Would buy again.

https://www.swfa.com/remington-silic...un-sock-3.html

Even when we use the padded ski bag for a families worth of paddles in the van I put each one in a gun sock for some extra protection.

The tripping truck has a six foot long locking box built into one side of the bed. All of the long linear stuff goes in that box; heaviest stuff first, on the bottom; shot gun, tarp poles, axe. Then the wood paddles and last atop the pile the carbon fiber sticks.

Everything is still jostling around on rough roads, and I don’t want the paddles nicked or scarred, so I put each one in a paddle sock.

Paddle socks are pricey. Gun socks from a big-box store are not, and are stretchy enough for even the widest paddle blades.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Allen-Com...tment/49688512

I’ve been using the same Remington gun socks for the last 15 years or so. Would buy again.

https://www.swfa.com/remington-silic...un-sock-3.html

Even when we use the padded ski bag for a families worth of paddles in the van I put each one in a gun sock for some extra protection.

Cathy no doubt can find discounted jersey fabric ( like you find in T shirts) and go to town on a sewing machine. I did not estimate comparative costs though

Don’t know why I’m laughing at this idea, given that Mikey don’t sew.

Take an old pair of drawstring sweatpants or fleece pants, tie the foot ends closed with a piece of string and presto, a double paddle sock for transporting primary & spare with the drawstring closed. Untie the foot strings and you could still wear the pants if need be.

I do have several pair of old worn out sweats and fleece. I’m not laughing about it anymore.

Don’t know why I’m laughing at this idea, given that Mikey don’t sew.

Take an old pair of drawstring sweatpants or fleece pants, tie the foot ends closed with a piece of string and presto, a double paddle sock for transporting primary & spare with the drawstring closed. Untie the foot strings and you could still wear the pants if need be.

I do have several pair of old worn out sweats and fleece. I’m not laughing about it anymore.

Wow you have long legs! A 56 inch inseam?

Wow you have long legs! A 56 inch inseam?

You’re right. Even measuring - not the inseam but cuff to waist - on my tallest son’s sweats I got 44 inches.

Might have to check Goodwill for some Big & Tall selection. And wear them on trips hiked up to chest level ;-)

Or, as “fashion” trends fade, an adult sized Onsie.

Eh, I’ll just keep using $5 gun socks.

I got one of those close out snow board bags. I hang it on the back of my car seats from the headrests. Hangs there perfectly between rows, with room for a couple dogs on the back seat. Great idea from this board I think. One of many.

i used a big old bathsheet. Cut it in half, folded the rest in half and sewed the long sides and bottoms together, then stitched in a drawstring. So ugly, but it works great.
Click image for larger version  Name:	paddle bag.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.5 KB ID:	118480

Back