• Happy 1st Showing of a Color Photograph (1861)! 📷🎥🏳️‍🌈

Your emergency canoe repair kit?

I got a question from Alan that I'm not seeing here, for some reason.
The crack in my NW17 actually looked worse on the inside than the outside.
And yes, there was actual torn carbon fiber.
An inner later must have been relatively unscathed since no water was coming through.
The crack was in a place that probably would have been protected by the internal skid plate had I had it.

I got a question from Alan that I'm not seeing here, for some reason.
The crack in my NW17 actually looked worse on the inside than the outside.
And yes, there was actual torn carbon fiber.
An inner later must have been relatively unscathed since no water was coming through.
The crack was in a place that probably would have been protected by the internal skid plate had I had it.

Thanks for answering. That must have been quite a hit!

I was in a hurry when I asked yesterday and was going off memory about what you said earlier in the thread (now quoted below)

I managed to put a pretty bad crack in my blacklite Northwind 17, when I hit a rock while taking a photo, but luckily it didn't leak.

Then, after making my post, I scrolled up a few responses and saw where you talked about sticking a fence post all the way through the hull and, thinking my memory was faulty, this made my question of, "was it a superficial crack?," seem pretty silly. So I quickly deleted my post. Only when I logged in again later and re-read the entire thread did I see there were 2 separate instances.

Alan

I was on an overnight trip with a new club member. Colorado River, not in a rapid, but moving along. I stopped paddling, to take a photo, and we ended up turned sideways to the current. Never saw the rock under the surface. I couln't believe how hard we hit. Loud bang. We hit near the bow, so I asked my partner if water was coming in and she said no. But it was bad enough I had to do some glass work when I got home.
Thanks for the info! Everyone says composites are tougher than one thinks, but they sell IXP for a reason. Good to hear of real world experiences of failure points.

I can’t remember if anyone suggested zip ties. They weigh almost nothing and are very versatile. My friend used one unconventionally, there was a pin hole leak in a canoe he rented so instead of slapping on some duct tape he melted the end of the zip tie and dripped it in the hole. Problem solved.
Jim

Thanks for answering. That must have been quite a hit!

I was in a hurry when I asked yesterday and was going off memory about what you said earlier in the thread (now quoted below)

Then, after making my post, I scrolled up a few responses and saw where you talked about sticking a fence post all the way through the hull and, thinking my memory was faulty, this made my question of, "was it a superficial crack?," seem pretty silly. So I quickly deleted my post. Only when I logged in again later and re-read the entire thread did I see there were 2 separate instances.

Alan

How do you delete a post?

How do you delete a post?

Members can't delete a post. Alan can because that's one of the powers of a moderator. If you want a post deleted for some valid reason, you can request Alan or me to do it. Aside from that, I will sometimes delete a post on my own when it's clearly some sort of mistake or duplicate, as I did with one of your duplicate Therm-A-Rest posts yesterday.

Three Minutes with a Maine Guide has 4 videos on repairs and repair kits. As with many of her videos, not all of it applies to all of us, but she's got some great tips and real world experience.

Back
Top Bottom