• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Dogs in Tents?

I have had my dogs chase bears out of camp plenty of times, especially on the Klamath River near the coast in CA, and in OR.
They are braver if there are at least two. When there are 3 they are fearless.

I had a girlfriend once (well, actually more than once) who had a Border Collie. As predicted on this thread, “Puppy” was a fantastic dog. The girlfriend eventually also got an Afghan. “Gemini” was an elegant dog, but a bit on the high-strung side. Don’t know if that’s true for the breed or not. Anyway, if I had to choose, give me the Border Collie.

I had a girlfriend once (well, actually more than once) who had a Border Collie. As predicted on this thread, “Puppy” was a fantastic dog. The girlfriend eventually also got an Afghan. “Gemini” was an elegant dog, but a bit on the high-strung side. Don’t know if that’s true for the breed or not. Anyway, if I had to choose, give me the Border Collie.

Over the girlfriend or over the Afghan? Or over both?

I paddled the BWCA in 1985 and brought my cow dog "Snuffy" heeler/Aussie cross on the trip. By the second day everyone was talking with a French accent. About 40 miles in on a portage near the Horse River, I ran into a guy on the trail that had questions about my dog. "Where did you get that dog?" he asked. "I ween here in a poker game." I replied.
"Did you win or lose?" was his comeback.

Last edited:
The missus and I were sleeping on a inflatable mattress, queen size. Bob The Dog was sleeping on the ground inside the tent. I got up in the middle of the night to take a leak. When I came back the pooch had taken my place and wouldn't move. I tried to push him off and he growled at me. Didn't want to wake the missus arguing with a dog at 0230 hours, so I just asked him to give me a little space, which he did by curling up as high on the mattress as he could. I then slept below him with my legs from the knees down hanging off. I guess his old bones were hurting from the time he spent on the hard ground, so I cut him some slack, after all he is the best dang friend I've ever had.

I set up my bedding, clothing, etc. inside the tent and cover everything with a guide tarp. So if dog is dirty and/or wet nothing gets dirty or soaked.

Nothing like waking up in the morning with the dog snuggled next to you.

Gerald

Have you tried a women Gerald? They are not as obedient and have other issues but they can be trained to cook breakfast.:D

Mine has slept in the tent with me. She is usually pretty good. I point where I want her and she settles in. It has gone perfectly except once when the coyotes were yipping and howling very close by and she was trembling and crazy refusing to settle. Hard to tell if it was fear or excitement.

In bear country she acted really weird on one backpacking trip then refusing to leave the tent in the morning until I went out first. My theory was the she was aware of bears in the area. Maybe one had visited in the night, but she didn't wake me so I kind of doubt it. She had acted weird in camp the evening before as if she was aware of something strange. She took her food out of her bowl and tried to bury it.

In her old age she has suddenly become afraid of thunder. I have not had to deal with that in a tent with her, but I'd definitely need to take some of her anxiety meds along these days.

She has been an awesome companion over the years. She trail ran with me a ton of miles ( I lost count at 10,000 miles). She also ran along with my mountain bike sometimes. She also day hiked many days with me. She tagged along on snowshoe trips and XC ski day trips. I haven't taken her in the canoe. She came along after my previous canoeing days and these days I am concerned that her arthritis might make it a bad idea. She has trouble getting up on slippery surfaces and on a bad day even walking on slippery surfaces. We just started her on some new meds so hopefully that will help. One day in on the meds she seems improved, so maybe there is a chance she will be up to some canoeing. She would love to go along.

Edit:
FWIW, she is a german shepard, rottweiler, korgi mix, but strangely enough looks a lot like a yellow lab. Best dog I've ever owned (or more accurately owned me).

Last edited:
I usually have a dog with me while tripping. They sleep with me whether it’s the tent or hammock. I have yet to have the floor damaged or hammock ripped...

Attachments

• photo18502.jpg
    photo18502.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 5
I don't own a dog and don't even want one in my house. My feeling is that I don't want my friends sitting naked on the floor or couch so why would it be OK for their dog. I tell them it's OK to bring your dog in as long as they wear underwear.

Storm the Smooth Collie was a good tripping dog. He's 15 now and doesn't canoe anymore. I put a liner inside my tent so his claws wouldn't hurt the floor and it worked well. I had an old North Face Puma Polar Guard coat I bought in the 70's and a pad I got at a garage sale which he seemed to like well enough but he kept sliding off the pad and kicking the coat off at nite. Then the whimpers would start. I will admit, half for fun and half thinking it would work I actually put it on him with his front legs in the sleeves and snapped it up. You have never seen a more pathetic look on a dogs face.

So, also back in the 70's I got a 6 lb mummy bag (Twin Peaks in San Francisco ) which I still have, so I started bringing that, leaving it unzipped like a quilt, and just spooned with the dog. He really liked that - Chick always said he had a big smile when we curled up. Gonna be a sad day when Storm passes.

I trip with a black lab and keep her nails trimmed and use a Klymit static v air mattress with either a down blanket or down sleeping bag depending on temps for her. Never had any issues. Cold doesn't even bother her as I've slept under tarps as well even in the winter and use this same setup. I cover her with a blanket but by morning she shed's it and is just laying out in the open.

IMG_20200524_065620.jpg
The pup helped me answer the age old question - tarp under tent or inside? My tent lets me hang my hammock in/ through it so it's perfect for me and the pup, I sleep in the hammock and she sleeps underneath me although there was that morning she tried climbing in the hammock. :)

I don't own a dog and don't even want one in my house. My feeling is that I don't want my friends sitting naked on the floor or couch so why would it be OK for their dog. I tell them it's OK to bring your dog in as long as they wear underwear.

I was shocked when I read an article years ago written by a veterinarian of the hygienic horrors of dogs indoors. I suspect this is what my friend Al is referring to. You can all do your own research. I'll post no links. As a result my own personal behaviour adjustments have been made. I no longer let the family dogs lick my face, now that I think of where their tongues have been. Ew. And as far as the bare bum thing goes it's too easy to toss a throw blanket over the spare bed and favourite chair for whichever family pooches are hanging out that particular weekend. I and the dog in question are always admonished for such (ethical) hedonism. Yeah well whatever man. Life is short. Way too short to throw up barriers between friends.
But I agree changes can be come as some hazards are understood. And our friend Al is not out of step with canine carefulness. Rather safe than sorry.

NB Soooo this means the annual naturist party chez Low Angle Al's is moving outdoors. BYOD. (you figure that out)

The pup helped me answer the age old question - tarp under tent or inside? My tent lets me hang my hammock in/ through it so it's perfect for me and the pup, I sleep in the hammock and she sleeps underneath me although there was that morning she tried climbing in the hammock. :)

That is a really nice setup! That's the one thing keeping me from sleeping in a hammock. I would be protected from the ravages of bugs but not my dog. Seems like this solves that issue. I like it!

That is a really nice setup! That's the one thing keeping me from sleeping in a hammock. I would be protected from the ravages of bugs but not my dog. Seems like this solves that issue. I like it!

It's a small start up company called Sloth and Fox. The tent is great.

Back in February on this same thread I had made mention of tripping with my collie Storm and how I would miss him when he was gone. Well, today was the day of the sad event.

Hug those hounds folks. After now 16 years, I'm gonna miss him greatly.

Back in February on this same thread I had made mention of tripping with my collie Storm and how I would miss him when he was gone. Well, today was the day of the sad event.

Hug those hounds folks. After now 16 years, I'm gonna miss him greatly.
Sorry for your loss. They give us so much, ask for so little, and leave us too soon.

Back