• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Crown Land Camping in Ontario suspended again.

Reaction score
News came out tonight, just as some of us are planning our first canoe trips. Government says the Covid is waiting for us behind every jackpine, especially in areas like Marshall Lake, where there are currently zero human beings. Last year we grudgingly complied, don't think it will be the case this year.

Bubblevision news reports this morning saying that Doug Ford will be announcing more drastic measures this afternoon (Friday 16th) since things are getting worse. In Toronto there is a stay-at-home emergency issued, but are people staying at home.... nope, spring is here.

Unfortunately, the other provinces should be setting up roadblocks for Ontario. In Thunder Bay, we had the highest rate of infection in the country for about two months, but because we voted Liberal, the area was not declared a hot spot. The politics of this fiasco is sickening. Ontario is projected to have some of the highest infection rates in the world by the end of May or June. Northern Ontario is settling down now, but when the variants hit, we will be back in the soup. Unfortunately, Canada's vaccine rollout is very poor.
After I watched the doc on Wendell Beckwith, I've been seriously considering taking my immediate family up to the Kapikotongwa river for the summer, I've got a really nice place by a waterfall that no one gets too. Ontario's already strapped health care system will be overwhelmed within the next two weeks, it's time for an extended canoe trip.

Concentrations of population seems to be the super spreader and those who feel it is ok to travel to the states are potentially the main cause. I overheard a couple in the grocery store yesterday telling how they got back into the country to avoid the quarantine by flying to a border city and renting a car to drive over the border, which avoids the required hotel quarantine. That potentially brings a variant into Manitoba and they were at a busy grocery store within days of arrival.

Ontario has a population of 13 million while Manitoba is 1.2 million and we now have one quarter vaccinated. My appointment is May 4th and Christine gets hers next Tuesday. I would imagine due to the nature of Ontario politics that the government will focus vaccines on the major populations in Toronto and Ottawa, then other minor cities before even recognizing Northern and North Western Ontario since they have a tendency to ignore those areas even exist.

Move to Manitoba for the Summer, get vaccinated and head back.

Karin

Unfortunately, the other provinces should be setting up roadblocks for Ontario. In Thunder Bay, we had the highest rate of infection in the country for about two months, but because we voted Liberal, the area was not declared a hot spot. The politics of this fiasco is sickening. Ontario is projected to have some of the highest infection rates in the world by the end of May or June. Northern Ontario is settling down now, but when the variants hit, we will be back in the soup. Unfortunately, Canada's vaccine rollout is very poor.
After I watched the doc on Wendell Beckwith, I've been seriously considering taking my immediate family up to the Kapikotongwa river for the summer, I've got a really nice place by a waterfall that no one gets too. Ontario's already strapped health care system will be overwhelmed within the next two weeks, it's time for an extended canoe trip.

What I know about politics in Canada generally or Ontario, specifically, could fit in a thimble, and vaccine politics may be an entirely different issue altogether, but I thought the Liberal party got shellacked in 2018 and that the Conservatives and Doug Ford run Ontario now.

What I know about politics in Canada generally or Ontario, specifically, could fit in a thimble, and vaccine politics may be an entirely different issue altogether, but I thought the Liberal party got shellacked in 2018 and that the Conservatives and Doug Ford run Ontario now.

and that's the problem, Ford is taking out his frustrations on liberal holdings- there are at least 5 "blue" neighborhoods that are nowhere near the median for infection that were declared hotspots where they get provincial funding to vaccinate ALL adults, while there are at least 14 areas that are far above median that get nothing because they voted "red"...

and that's the problem, Ford is taking out his frustrations on liberal holdings- there are at least 5 "blue" neighborhoods that are nowhere near the median for infection that were declared hotspots where they get provincial funding to vaccinate ALL adults, while there are at least 14 areas that are far above median that get nothing because they voted "red"...

Adding further to my confusion, it sounds like your "blue" areas are considered Conservative and "red" areas Liberal -- just the opposite of what those colors represent in the U.S. But I think I get it. Ford and the Conservatives are punishing Liberal enclaves. It's sad to see that going on. I used to think our Canadian neighbors had better sense than to do something like that.

We have seen some of that going on in the U.S. Notably in Florida where Gov. DeSantis sent a pop-up vaccine clinic to a rich, conservative suburb while ignoring areas that voted liberal.

A big problem in the U.S. right now is vaccine resistance. It has resulted in a glut of vaccine where people don't want it and a shortage where people do want it. Predictably, given how the vaccine has become politicized here, it's very much dependent on politics. Vaccine resistance in areas that voted overwhelmingly "red" lead to gluts in those areas while and folks in areas who voted "blue" can't get it fast enough. A generalization, but pretty accurate.

Here in the liberal/blue Maryland suburbs of D.C., it's hard to get an appointment. I felt lucky to get the one-shot J&J vaccine about a week before the rare clotting issue was identified. To tell the truth, given the choice between J&J and nothing, I might have opted to get it anyway given the apparent rarity (6 cases) and the fact that it has so far "only" struck women 18-48 and I'm neither of those things.

A friend who lives in DC but hails from conservative/red Louisiana, drove home to get the vaccine. They have so many unused doses she could get it without living there or waiting for an appointment and she's going back for her second dose. They are calling people who travel to places with extra doses "vaccine tourists."

Read this morning that Ontario police and "other" designated enforcers now have permission to stop anyone at any time and ask them where they are going and why they are not at home, and charge them if no valid reason is provided. Some people might think that this is next door to Marshall Law, but I view it as a canoe challenge, sneaking out of my house after dark, loading my canoe up and taking off for a wilderness trip. Certainly gives canoe tripping a whole new level of excitement.

Well, the cops now say that they won't be stopping people to check on why they aren't staying home. Ontario's a hotspot, no question... Atlantic Canada OTOH is doing something right. Pandemic rate in Nova Scotia is far lower, 181 per 100,000 population, compared with 2,654 per 100,000 population in Ontario.

Advice in musical terms from Nova Scotia, no politics, all the lobster you can eat over there while wearing rubber boots night and day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK6UnPoQhhA

Well, the cops now say that they won't be stopping people to check on why they aren't staying home. Ontario's a hotspot, no question... Atlantic Canada OTOH is doing something right. Pandemic rate in Nova Scotia is far lower, 181 per 100,000 population, compared with 2,654 per 100,000 population in Ontario.

Advice in musical terms from Nova Scotia, no politics, all the lobster you can eat over there while wearing rubber boots night and day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK6UnPoQhhA

That would be the Maritime Bubble. Its been in effect over a year now. If you don't live or work there you don't get in. Period. They have been in a lockdown for a year now.. Ontarians wouldn't like the rules
https://www2.gnb.ca/content/dam/gnb/Corporate/pdf/EmergencyUrgence19.pdf

The title of this thread is "Crown Land Camping in Ontario suspended again." I glanced at the first several posts, and then did not look at this thread again until just now.

It is topical and relevant to post about how government covid restrictions affect one's ability to canoe. I tend to tolerate thread drift, as mostly the drifts do no harm, and may build camaraderie and bring energy to the board.

However, to the extent this thread has drifted into personal political opinion, and out of the effect of certain covid restrictions on canoe day tripping and camping, it is unacceptable.

I am grateful to the community for the past restrain shown in not posting personal political commentary, and in keeping the board friendly and respectable.

Please continue to self-regulate.

Back