• Happy National Nurses Day! 🛌👩‍⚕💉💊🎉

Coffee Press

Reaction score
For my birthday this year the better half gave me a coffee press so I don't have to bring my old and trusted coffee pot. Anyone have one they use? I tried it out last night and am not sure about it. I think I didn't let it steep long enough as it came out a bit weak. I used Folgers for the coffee, is there a better brand to use? Maybe ground my own? Just wondering and may bring both on the up coming trip in two weeks. I'd hate to be without my morning cup(s) of Joe!

dougd

Not a fan because the coffee gets cold, but I've used them. Same coffee/water ratio you use for the pot, push the plunger down about 1/3 of the way once you've got the coffee and water in there, let steep about 5 minutes.

Edit. And happy belated birthday.

Last edited:
I have tried a variety of coffee presses. They all work the same way but vary in how much ground they allow to leak past the edges. What I am using now is a coffee press available for Jet Boil stoves. It may not be the best but it works tolerably well and produces coffee quickly.

I would go to a grocery store that allows you to buy coffee beans and grind them. For a coffee press you want a coarser grind than you would for a drip coffee maker. That will result in less grounds and sediment in your coffee.

Doug
I'm assuming you're talking about a French Press to make coffee? If so, you're really onto something and don't give up. French Press is my preferred method of coffee preparation!
As pblanc noted get coffee beans-good beans- and grind them yourself or get them ground fairly coarse. The amount of grounds you use will depend upon strength you want and type of bean.
One of the secrets is to add just a little- say a third- of the amount of boiling water to the grounds and wait about five minutes. Then stir the hot mix for about 30 seconds. This de- gasses the beans and makes it more flavourful. Then fill the rest of the pot with boiling water and wait another 5 minutes.

Now Press and you have an excellent cup of coffee!
I buy Kicking Horse fair trade beans but there are a number of other excellent roasters out there!

Enjoy!
Bruce

The thing about coffee and long trips... coffee doesn't store well at all once you grind it. It's also got a useful shelf life of weeks after you roast it. Once you expose roasted beans to oxygen, that's it, the degradation process has begun. What's a coffeeholic to do?

Green coffee beans store very well, like for years on end. There may be something to be said for roasting your own beans over a campfire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-MzdQlIA2c

I use a french press every day of my life, I tried every method possible, and always come back to the press... I use high end coffee beens, roasted right here in my town delivered to my door usually the same day or the day after it as been roasted, by a guy that do his roasting on a pedal power wood fire roaster(http://www.firebeancoffee.ca)... It's pretty cool!

Anyway, I also tried different ways of conserving the freshly roasted beens, shelf, fridge, freezer, and I read a few different theories on the subject, and as long as the bag as not been open, it keeps very well for quite a wile, assuming your beens are relatively fresh. I freeze the pounds I'm not using(buy them in 3 pounds batch) and I can't really taste the difference!

As for the brewing, this is what I do... bring water to a boil, wait a minute to let the temp drop a few degrees, pour over the freshly ground coffee, let sit, stir, let sit some more(total time maybe 6 to 8 minutes) stir, push the plunger down and serve!! Mine is a small Titanium unit that does one heck of a large cup and I bring it everywhere... I would love to find a bigger one that would make lets say 4 large cups, but so far no luck( I don't like the plastic ones).

While in the bush with other coffee drinker, we usually bring a old aluminum fire top perk... It works... Not the greatest coffee, but it works!

We still have two perc pots, a 10 cup and a 20 cup, and used them exclusively on trips for many years. Too many years; it is easy to make an terrible pot of bitter coffee with an overlooked/unregulated perc, and a slow blurp. . . . . blurp. . . . . blurp of a proper perc takes a while.

A long while with a watched pot and an urgent need for caffeine. Come on dammit, I don’t want something tea colored, get dark!

The 20 cupper was well received on group trips, even when the coffee was rushed and over-perc bitter. We had a small coffee flag; tied to a stick the kids would parade around in the morning carrying the flag and 20 cupper, visiting our tripper friends.

If verbal blessings accumulate my boys had their Pearly Gate tickets paid for by age 10. At some sites it was just a begging hand holding an empty cup out a tent door in morning anticipation.

(Or sometimes not morning; one of the funniest things I have ever heard while camping was uttered by a friend’s wife, walking over midday to see if we had any coffee left in the pot she could heat up. A solemn approach, with a serious expression, and she quietly said “Do you have coffee left? Alan thinks he can sit up now”)

Then a French press for years on family and solo trips. Done properly a French press makes excellent coffee, and I like my coffee strong and dark. Great tasting coffee, but I didn’t like many aspects of the press. To wit:

The press we have makes enough for two big mugs of coffee, call it four 8 oz cup measures with some dregs left in the press; perfect for two people (I pour the cooling dregs in my insulated mug as soon as there is space).

But for just me on solo trips the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] mug left in the press was tepid by the time I got to it. And with a companion if I/we wanted a second cup I had to deal with the grounds pressed on the bottom.

Ah, the press grounds. What to do with the pressed grounds? Even in cleaner practices, dumping them in the trash bag or into a hot working fire, the grounds are a bigger PITA to knock free from the press bottom than from a removable perc basket. And at some point you gotta rinse the clingy grounds completely out of the press pot.

I never actually measured, but it seemed to me that I need to use almost the same amount of grounds to make ten strong cups in a slow perc as I need to make four cups in a French press.

The perc pots, the French press and at least one of those Melita V funnel filters (a sucky shape to pack) all reside unused in the box of spare camping stuff.

With the advent of Starbucks Via, sometimes mixed with a 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] packet of cheaper “instant” (Folgers Black Silk Roast Concentrate is not bad) I can have a great tasting mug of coffee in the time it takes to boil water with no fuss, no muss, not pot or press and grounds to tote in and clean.

I have some addictions, and morning coffee is one. Usually two mugs a morn, one before and with breakfast, and one intermittently savored while I pack gear. On a long trip the sheer amount of ground bean needed vs a fistful of Via packets becomes another consideration.

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/forum/gear/camp-kitchen/28385-breakfast-ideas/page5

I don’t see myself packing in a pot/press and grounds ever again.

I can't do French Press. Perhaps if I got the grind size correct I'd be happier.
I get a sludgy coffe with a bottom layer that is reminiscent of what they sell all over Alaska
Espresso stands everywhere. $2.50 gets you one ounce of the sludge I get for a lot less with the French press
Maybe I was supposed to add something to it to make it palatable. Just as in my foray at the espresso stand "are you sure you don't want anything in it?"
I grind my coffee at home. I think I have to grind for less time

I can't do French Press. Perhaps if I got the grind size correct I'd be happier.
I get a sludgy coffe with a bottom layer that is reminiscent of what they sell all over Alaska
Espresso stands everywhere. $2.50 gets you one ounce of the sludge I get for a lot less with the French press
Maybe I was supposed to add something to it to make it palatable. Just as in my foray at the espresso stand "are you sure you don't want anything in it?"
I grind my coffee at home. I think I have to grind for less time

Yes, the grind have to be quite corse to make for a slurry free coffee using a french press.... I have a basic grinder and it is not great meaning it is quite inconsistent( need to get a better quality grinder) I use a fine strainer as I pour so the stuff that didn't get pushed to the bottom is caught in the stainer...

I love my Stanley coffee press, $20 at Walmart. Solved the problem of a coffee press where your coffee gets cold, keeps it too hot too long sometimes. Also have a larger insulated one I got at Ikea that keeps it hot for an hour or more.
Just have to learn how much coffee to use in each and it does depend on how fine it is ground. The coarser it is the less that end up seeping through but then I find I need to use more.

The coffee press I got is a Stanley as well, insulated so I'm guessing that is a plus. I still have a couple of weeks before the next trip so I'll keep playing with it. Thanks for all the suggestions and I'm guessing that the grind of coffee does make a difference so will try out a few different brands. For some ungodly reason I've also become fond of Folger's instant coffee, most make me gag, so I'll bring that as back up. I'm really hoping that it works out, it is a space saver in the packing of gear.

dougd

I made the wife a cozy out of blue foam and a looser fit inner layer of reflectix, cut to fit the slightly elongated shape (including the handle) and she proclaimed that mod, 'the bomb'... the coffee staying much hotter during the 5+ minutes that she lets it set before slowly doing the press.

Wish I knew some other quick and cheap tricks that would bring an equal amount of satisfaction to my life. :rolleyes:

I've got a Thermos/Nissan insulated coffee press that I used to use quite a bit. These days I have a Jetboil coffee press that I carry. It doesn't keep the coffee warm for long, but it's one less thing to carry. I can make coffee a number of different ways,but the Jetboil is fast and convenient.

I've got a Thermos/Nissan insulated coffee press that I used to use quite a bit.

Our drip coffee makers at home kept breaking due to a combination of poor quality and bad water. About 15 years ago we bought a Thermos/Nissan french press and haven't looked back. We had to replace the screen once and used a Bodum replacement part which is better quality. Yes, the coffee is a bit gritty & sludgey; nothing is perfect. We don't carry it on trips due to weight/bulk even though it's very tough. We use instant instead. I guess we're not connaisseurs.

What I am using now is a coffee press available for Jet Boil stoves. It may not be the best but it works tolerably well and produces coffee quickly.

I would go to a grocery store that allows you to buy coffee beans and grind them. For a coffee press you want a coarser grind than you would for a drip coffee maker. That will result in less grounds and sediment in your coffee.

I have never used the press that came with my JetBoil, mostly because as soon as I boil water for coffee I boil water for breakfast oatmeal or grits and don’t want to deal with the grounds in the Jetboil pot (or switch that coffee first order).

The coarser grind for the press became another issue. I’m not grinding a lb or two of beans with the little Krupp grinder in the kitchen, and there is always some fine grind with that tool. I had to find a store with whole beans and a grinder (problematic on the road sometimes, just use grocery store drip grinds and live with the sludge). That coarse grind also attributed to the need for a larger amount of grounds .

Our drip coffee makers at home kept breaking due to a combination of poor quality and bad water.

Same here. I would estimate that we buy a new drip coffee machine every 3 years on average. We have a newish Mr. Coffee in the kitchen, and two retired predecessors in storage. We use the spares when we host extended family gatherings; 12 cups of coffee don’t go far with a crowd of 20 to 30.

There is some planned obsolescence in those cheap kitchen drip machines, even if you run vinegar through them to clean out the scale & etc buildup. The heater plate eventually rusts, the water heater element goes weak or the carafe break. At least the programmable clock timer survives; I do like having a pot of coffee already brewed when I get out of bed.

I assume there are better quality kitchen drip makers, but I’m not convinced that a $100 one would last much longer than a $15 big box model, although they might be engineered better.

The most comically inexcusable design flaw I have ever encountered was with a Black & Decker coffee maker. No matter how carefully and precisely, fast or slow you tried to pour coffee the shape of pour dimple guaranteed that some would run down the side of the pot. Coffee dribbles everywhere. Same for trying to use the pot to fill the coffee maker reservoir. Effing useless.

OK, I realize that buying a Black & Decker coffee maker is like buying a jig saw from the coffee shop, but seriously, some designer had an idea for a different pour spout shape and no one bothered with a prototype to see if it worked?

For people that don't want the sludge/grit or that don't want the bulk/weight, the Aeropress is a great device, make a few shot of quite good quality espresso in a few minutes( no longer than the bench press or any other method) it can be a bit finicky, but when I use mine, I use the upside down method and it works way better... http://www.aeropress.ca

That said I don't bring it much anymore cause I'm usually camping in wilderness setting camps( no picnic tables) and I find it a bit finicky to use on uneven surfaces since you need to apply quite a bit of pressure. But a great device that make awesome coffee that is compact and super lightweight!!

I picked up my French press years ago from Campmor. It's made of plastic and has a neoprene cozy to wrap around it to keep your coffee warm. The one I have makes a liter of coffee if you use it's full capacity. I've taken it with me on winter trips as well and the cozy helps to keep things a comfortable temperature. Over the years a group of 3 of us have used it on paddling & winter camping trips with lots of good times shared over our morning mugs of coffee. For such a little investment in funds, the press has brought great joy come morning time.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

For a coffee press you want a coarser grind than you would for a drip coffee maker. That will result in less grounds and sediment in your coffee.

The grounds and sediment aren't supposed to be there?

I'm with Mike. VIA has pretty much taken over the coffee supply while camping. I know nothing of coffee presses.

Back