• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

Coffee grinders and brewers for both home and camp?

Glenn MacGrady

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We've had lots of threads over the years about coffee and how best to make it in camp. I've always been on the sidelines of these discussions because I've overwhelmingly been a tea drinker all my life. I've traditionally found coffee to be either fairly weak and tasteless, or having a taste I don't like, or tasting and aftertasting like hydrochloric acid mixed with old motor oil (that's you, Starbucks).

Recently, however, my wife and I have discovered a coffee that I (and she) really like. It's Irving Farm coffee in Millerton, NY. We now travel there once a week for lunch and a coffee fix. Irving Farm also has six locations in New York City, and has been awarded best coffee in NYC by New York Magazine.

Coincidentally, Millerton, NY, is also the home of Harney & Sons Tea, which tops many tea rankings you can find on the internet.

I am now thinking of grinding and brewing coffee from Irving Farm beans. However, I've never done either in my entire life. I'm looking for suggestions for a grinding method (electric or manual?) and a brew method that is simple to use both at home, on road trips in the car or motel, and in a camp. In other words, some combination of devices that will grind and brew several cups of coffee and is reasonably portable.

Suggestions?

We have a simple electric grinder that allows me to grind enough beans to make coffee for up to 12 people. Our machine is pretty simple so the end result is as coarse, or fine, based on how long you run the beans through the blades. When the time comes, I use one tablespoon of grounds per cup of coffee. We've been drinking it this way for years and always enjoyed the end result; as have our guests in the B&B we operate.

That's all for now. Take care, good luck with your new endeavor (and adventure) and until next time...be well.

snapper

PS - Our grinder is about half the size of a one liter Nalgene water bottle so it's not too big to take it with you if you're so inclined.

I know coffee is supposed to be better if you grind as you go at home but I've never found it distasteful buying it already ground.

I see that they offer quite a few grinds so, if it were me, I'd ask during the next visit what grind / cultivar / etc they are serving. Brewing temperature, time, etc, etc, etc are all supposed to play a part in the outcome so I suspect that you'll have to experiment at home regardless of the methodology.

Best of luck. I, personally, require copious amounts of coffee at home and in the field but I can happily drink anything (except instant and Starbucks).

I admittedly drink too much coffee. I prefer to grind as I go at home and pack what I have ground at home on trips.

There are hundreds of articles on grinders and brewing methods. The consensus of coffee snobs seem to be that a conical burr grinder gives the most consistent grind and how course it is can be adjusted based on your brewing method and preference. I enjoy a multitude of brewing devices. I use a Bunn commercial style maker for weekdays out of convenience and a press, pour over, or percolator on the weekends.

Thanks for the info on the place in Millertown. I will swing by when I’m in that area.

Bob

In Ak. I get whole beans from Costco at a good price. I grind the beans right before use and add two tablespoons per 14 oz. cup to a pot with the water and bring to a boil. Then I pour it through a little filter into my cup.

In Pa. I never found a good deal on whole beans so I just use preground Maxwell House or whatever is on sale. I make it the same way as in Ak. and surprisingly we enjoy it just as much as the whole fresh ground beans. I do miss the smell of the fresh ground beans though. For some reason I usually use 100% Columbian or Colombian Supremo.

Pickles taste good. Strawberries taste good. What about strawberries that taste like pickles?

It's not about taste, it's about association. I'd wager that if we stopped calling instant coffee "coffee," less people would be put off. Granted, it is not my favourite hot beverage, but the convenience while on a trip is hard to beat.

But then, I'm a boil-water/freeze-dried meal guy. If I made good food and drink while tripping I might never come home.

Edit: For some context, at home I use a Fiorenzato All Ground and alternate between a custom PID'd Rancilio Silvia and Technivorm Moccamaster.

Last edited:
We've had lots of threads over the years about coffee and how best to make it in camp. I've always been on the sidelines of these discussions because I've overwhelmingly been a tea drinker all my life. I've traditionally found coffee to be either fairly weak and tasteless, or having a taste I don't like, or tasting and aftertasting like hydrochloric acid mixed with old motor oil (that's you, Starbucks).
LOL! I agree about Starbucks!!I I buy from a local roastery (obviously the beans are imported as Maine is conducive to potato and weed farming , not coffeegroves) and use a Cuisinart (electric, variable grind) grinder at home for day today..For long trips we buy the same beans ground already. We buy the beans the same day they are roasted. IMO freshness counts.
That said the water used is very important.. Some Florida water made our lovely coffee taste a little like cat piss. And I can't stand city water that is chlorinated.

Last edited:
I would buy the coffee ground and invest in a cheap plastic pour over to experiment with.

I grind my own coffee, and at home I use a Capresso Burr Grinder. Lets me select how course (for French Press) or fine (for Aeropress) I want the beans. When I am home alone-which is most mornings-I use an Aeropress, and this is what I take on my paddling trips as well. Personally, I think it makes the best coffee I have ever had anywhere. On weekends when my wife is here for a morning coffee, I use a good old Bodum French Press. I also use filtered water.

On paddling/camping trips, I bring a Java Presse Manual Burr Grinder, fresh beans (from a place in St. Paul called the JS Bean Factory; the Steve's Smokey Double Dark roast is incredible!) and the Aeropress. A buddy I trip with gives me s--- for the extra weight that the grinder, beans and Aeropress add to my pack, but he does not complain when I make him coffee!

I grind my own coffee, and at home I use a Capresso Burr Grinder. Lets me select how course (for French Press) or fine (for Aeropress) I want the beans. When I am home alone-which is most mornings-I use an Aeropress, and this is what I take on my paddling trips as well. Personally, I think it makes the best coffee I have ever had anywhere. On weekends when my wife is here for a morning coffee, I use a good old Bodum French Press. I also use filtered water.

On paddling/camping trips, I bring a Java Presse Manual Burr Grinder, fresh beans (from a place in St. Paul called the JS Bean Factory; the Steve's Smokey Double Dark roast is incredible!) and the Aeropress. A buddy I trip with gives me s--- for the extra weight that the grinder, beans and Aeropress add to my pack, but he does not complain when I make him coffee!
Agree on the Aeropress. Involves a bit more work than a drip method but makes a superb brew of your coffee

In Ak. I get whole beans from Costco at a good price. I grind the beans right before use and add two tablespoons per 14 oz. cup to a pot with the water and bring to a boil. Then I pour it through a little filter into my cup.

In Pa. I never found a good deal on whole beans so I just use preground Maxwell House or whatever is on sale. I make it the same way as in Ak. and surprisingly we enjoy it just as much as the whole fresh ground beans. I do miss the smell of the fresh ground beans though. For some reason I usually use 100% Columbian or Colombian Supremo.
The above is basically for home use. My camping coffee is a little more sophisticated. I use a plastic cone with a disposable paper filter. I've been pondering the advantages of the cowboy method I use above for camping but haven't switched over yet. With the cone method I don't dirty a pot and can keep hot water going, regardless of when I want a coffee.

French press for home use (stainless--I've broken too many glass ones), and espresso machine for later. In the camper, Lexan (unbreakable) French press and an Aeropress for lattes (with stovetop milk steamer). I always grind beans immediately before use with a burr grinder (I have three--one relegated to the camper and two in the kitchen--one set for press pot, one set for espresso). In the bush for a long time, Via.
Beans that you like and the correct grind for the method you're using are probably the most important things to address. Some people like the oils contained in French press method, and some like a cleaner taste from using paper filters a la Aeropress and pour-overs (Mellita for you old-timers).

Thanks for the info on the place in Millertown. I will swing by when I’m in that area.

Was there today. On the way back from Millerton we usually look at some lakes in the NW corner of CT, go along the Housatonic River, through Cornwall to your town, Goshen, and then to the candy store in Litchfield, and often to Bohemia Restaurant in Litchfield, which has two rib/plank canoes without canvas but good wood hanging from the ceiling. Maybe I'll take some photos of the canoes next time I'm there to see if our w/c gurus can identify them.

Aeropress (Go) user as well. It resides in my office when not in the woods. I usually pre-grind my coffee for trips, but have a little manual burr grinder that I experimented with a few times. Wasn't worth it for me, as the variation in water made a far larger difference in taste than "fresh ground".

I don't care for a lot of teas while tripping for the same reason. Unless it's a strong black, it just seems to get screwed up unless the water is perfect. Lapsang Souchong holds up well to wild water, but everything tastes like a campfire already, so it's kinda pointless.

20220929_080420.jpg

Glenn, I agree with you on Star blech, I don't know how they manage to make everything taste burnt when their brewers cost thousands of dollars...
Up here in the great white north there are dozens of very good cottage industry coffee roasters, even a few that roast to your specifications. My go-to's are Muskoka roastery "loon call" breakfast blend for a light- medium roast, and Kicking Horse "Kick arse" coffee for a little stronger stuff. I buy both in the bean and use a burr grinder to make a coarse grind that works well in my percs (most store-bought stuff around here is either fine or medium grind)

Glen, I will throw my .02$ in

You have already done the hard part, finding a coffee you like. Now all you have to do is not wreck it when you travel.

Grinding fresh beans is the first step, but IMO if you keep everything sealed up, the grind is fine for up to 2 weeks (read this as saying you likely won't/can't tell)
Water is important, but you can't likely do much about local water , in the bush you have to filter/treat and traveling you could carry something like a Brita filter system ..... or just take the chance (me)
Then there is an item I didn't see mentioned here, you don't use boiling water, around 200 is considered the right range, so if you boil water, take it off the heat and let it sit for about a minute to get to about the right temp
As far as process, I would opt for either french press (me) or a drip setup ... both are reasonably inexpensive and portable .... but neither matter if you don't get that water temp right. Too low you get sour, light coffee and too high it gets bitter and over strong. If you opt for the french press start your extraction time at 4 minutes and adjust a bit to get it the way you like and lock that time in (whatever it is)

Brian

I have cut back on my coffee addiction in the last few years. I still like good coffee, which starts with good water, water temperature, one minute off the boil, coffee that suits the drinker, grind size, brew method. My favorites are Alaska Coffee Roasters, Yirgacheffe coffee, ground medium/course in Prolex ceramic grinder, that is small enough to pack anywhere I go, brewed for five minutes, in a AeroPress with a gold aftermarket disk filter from Able Brewing Equipment & dispensed into a MiiR blue or green, white speckled, double walled stainless steel cup. Of course that’s just my way. Even better on the bank or shore of some scenic river or lake, with a beautiful sunrise, cracking fire and cool, crisp air.

Cowboy coffee is a good fallback option. At many other times a pot of Barry’s Gold tea is optimal. All good to wash down fresh Bannock, slathered with butter and good raspberry jam.

Last edited:
Back