• Happy (Ancient) May Day! 🎀💈💃🏼🧺💐🍴

Closing Rethinking firearms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
That is one of the most civilized discussion around guns and carrying in the back country that you will find on any forum anywhere on the internet. We didn't even cross the Midwestern nice line let alone some other line. There is a time and place to close threads. Dave I respect and appreciate yours and Doug's hard work herding this group and maintaining this forum. I would just like to be clear that I think your decision to close that thread was premature and overly cautious. Still loving Canoetripping.net but a little miffed.

I completely agree with Foxotter and think it is outrageous that that civilized discussion thread was closed. Almost every thread here eventually goes off on tangents. Even the unimportant disagreements in the gun thread were diplomatically stated and backed by data or informed opinions. The greater danger to this site now may not be rambunctious posters but heavy-handed moderation.

On edit: After rereading the gun thread, I'd like to slightly revise my strong opinion above. There is one post that I'd agree went too directly into partisan politics, a subject that in my opinion we should strictly avoid.

I also had no idea that DaveO is now a moderator. It's very possible I missed the announcement, but if I didn't, I don't think we should have secret moderators.

Last edited:
I have no qualms about that thread being closed. Gun threads are the board equivalent of Clickbait, and I regret having posted to that thread.

I wrote several responses, including an episode where I was glad I had a gun along, and a bizarre episode where I didn’t but wished I did. And erased them before posting.

I believe Doug was on a well deserved paddling vacation, and I likewise believe he would have locked this thread some time ago.

Gun threads, bear threads and even “Paddler drowned” threads all seem to have potential to go south.

I will try to consider the risk of “ruptures in our relationships” when posting, or not posting, to such controversial threads in the future.

Jeeze, skid plates and blue barrels can elicit enough controversy. Let’s keep it cool.

I apologize to everyone here for my last post which was sliding off the topic. To me it is relevant about the general status of society and the mood people have as to the general threat level.
Thanks for being a civil group.

I also found the thread to be very interesting, and I’m not even a gun guy. That being said, I also think it was time to close it. The topic had been very well covered. In my opinion, a few of the posts bordered on quasi political opinions, which are potentially harmful to member camaraderie. That’s quite different than being off topic, which I don’t really object to. I have occasionally strayed myself. :)

I would just like to remind people of something.

Discussions on Bears and Guns and especially bear and guns at the same time have led to near demise of several of the best canoeing discussion boards. MyCCR has never really recovered from it's blow-up which occurred more than 10 years ago and is a shadow of what it once was. The truly unfortunate thing is that incident chased away many of the most knowledgeable posters, some moved to other sites but many seemed to have vanished from the online paddling scene completely.

While I am opposed to virtually any type of "censorship" and while the thread in question here was VERY tame by comparison it was headed in a dangerous direction.

I also am very disappointed that Dave closed the thread. I had kept out of it as I let my angst and anger slowly build to the boiling point until there was steam coming out of my ears. So imagine my disappointment when I logged on today, ready to blast away and give everyone heck, only to find the thread was closed.

With no other outlet for my frustrations I had to make due with giving Sadie a couple hard kicks.

Just kidding of course (on both points). :p

Alan

Hi All, I just got back from a week long vacation of paddling and sitting in camp kinda trip so I missed this whole thing. I have gotten feedback there is trouble for folks posting but after a long drive home and the such I will have to put off looking at what is up until the morning, my brain is on paddling/vacation time and not tech time. I will be in touch as soon as all is figured out.

dougd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back