• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

​Marathon Shop Days - Sailing Tripper Rebuild with DougD and Joel

G

DougD came down from New Hampshire with two project boats on his roof racks, and a long weekend to spend. Joel came down from Maine to lend an outfitting expertise hand.

Project Boat #1 was a 1977 Hyperform Optima. Yes, another Hyperform Optima.

http://www.canoetripping.net/forums...scussions/diy/655-hyperform-tandem-conversion

Identical hull shape to mine, even the same year and blue over white color, but very different in construction. My Opie is pigmented glass and nylon, Doug’s is much stiffer woven roving, glass and gel coat with different keel line stiffeners.

Hyperform made some of the first commercially available kayaks in the US, licensed from European designers. That they would offer two completely different laminations for boats obviously built on the same mold is probably evidence of early lay-up experimentation.

Doug had already gutted the Optima of seats and extraneous glasswork, sanded down any sharp edges and installed new seam tape. He got some looks driving down with two weirdo 70’s decked tandems on his roof racks.

Doug had sent me his rudder and I reshaped it so that it would work as a Kruger-style gravity deploy. I knew he wanted a Wilderness Phase 3 seat and had one almost ready to affix, with a two inch minicel pedestal which brought the seat arms just under the deck coming for some additional deep-hull seat elevation. We were ready to rock and roll come morning

I was thinking of this project being akin to one of those reality car shows, “Three days to turn the ’56 Chevy into a Low Rider”. Three days to turn a 1977 Optima into a poor man’s Sea Wind with Barcalounger padded comfort.

Thursday morning we started working on Doug’s new old hull at the crack of 8am, after some shop coffee and strategizing gab fest.

Opus Number 2 is in absurdly good shape for a 38 year old hull. A couple of small gel coat cracks on one the deck, but the bottom was relatively unscarred and it was obviously a barn find boat that had seen no UV. Even the Hyperform and Lettmann stickers were 99% intact.

A Barn Find Optima that qualifies for Historic Tags. We started to work with the plan that we would proceed with the outfitting the hull strategically, with the hull upright, finishing up with any epoxy, cloth and peel ply late in the day, so we could walk away and pull the ply to start afresh the next morning. Opus Number 2 needed to be ready to go back on Doug’s car Saturday evening. Let’s roll.

First order of business was to install a seat. Doug likes the Phase 3 seats, and seemed to like them even more when he was shown how to properly adjust them. I happened to have several never used Phase 3’s, enough to keep a spare and send a couple home with Doug for future use or spare parts. Shout out and thankee Dave and Joel for the unused seats.

I had prepared one of thePhase 3 seat with a 2” minicel bottom base, carved to fit the seat bottom and hull shape of my Optima, which would raise Doug’s seated position close to single blade level.

A little Joel in attendance finagling with the unattached seat to found the trim placement and, whadda ya freaking know, a spray skirt for a Pamlico 145T fits perfectly around the cockpit coming, with the tunnel exactly where it should be positioned over the seat. Sweet.

Fortunately we had Joel’s years of kayakcraft to get that part right. Mikey don’t wear no skirts.

Even more fortunately we had Joel available for the next critical steps, installing the rudder cables and foot controls. Well, not just available, Doug and I mostly stood back and handed him tools and parts and he made that look easy.

We had a variety of ruder foot pedal options, but nothing works as well as in a 70’s retrofit as Yakimas (now made by Mohawk).

With Joel taking on the cables and pedals what would have taken Doug and I half a day took a couple of hours. In what would become a recurring theme, Joel worked, Doug helped and I mostly provided the tools and materials at the ready. And occasionally put away some tool Joel still needed.

New rudder, cables, gravity retraction line and ball through a closed cleat, pad eye line guide, self-tensioning bungee and cord locks pulling both pedals forward. Done to perfection. Done better than my Opie dammit.

The controls were positioned for Doug’s arm reach and inseam. Joel seemed oddly eager to measure Doug’s inseam several times, and asked if he dressed left or right.

With the boat dressed for size we could install some bungee lines. A simple vee of bungee on the bow deck, with wood balls to make stuffing a paddle blade under easier. The front deck is far beyond reach, but that bungee compliments a Paddle Park vee to be added later to the utility thwart.

We added four grommet straps to the stern deck to allow strapping on a dry bagged sleeping pad, chair or other long light gear.

Doug, a word of caution, a 30-pack of Natural Ice might lead to stability problems if strapped on the back deck. Or when consumed in a 24 hour period.

It was time to make some serious shop dust. Doug brought down a piece of butternut to use as a utility/sail thwart. Time to again sit Doug in Opus on a padded shop floor and mark the ideal position for the sail mount and etc. We used a clamp-on utility thwart to find the best position away from paddle stroke range but close enough to lean forward and dismount the sail or reach other things on the utility thwart.

Getting the dimensions of that wood piece to fit exactly between the insides of the coming, with not just the / \ angle but also the interior coming curves ( ) is a delicate process, cautiously custom shaping the wood to fit inside the cowling curve and angle. A task which required several different tabletop belt sanders and a little bit off here, a little off here, a little more curve, just a touch more there.

When that piece of Butternut fit almost perfectly and we routed the long edges, RO and hand sanded and called it ready to go. It was time to turn to the epoxy work that could be done with the boat still right side up.

We G/flexed in D-ring straps for gear or float bags attachment on the floor below the bow and stern decks, covering them with wax paper and sandbags before moving on to epoxy work in the center of the hull.

The utility thwart installation, once shaped and sanded to fit, is simple but it is usually a multi day process. We did a dry test fit to position the utility thwart at cowling height, propped it up exactly so on a removable platform of empty boxes and wood scrap, taped the edges to mark the position, papered the inside of the hull incase anything dripped and etc, etc all that dang prep work that takes far longer than actually laying cloth and epoxy.

We cut a piece of kevlar felt to the butt end size, stapled it onto the end of the utility thwart, saturated it with G/flex and stuffed it in place. That gap filling application is about the only use for kevlar felt I ever need. And of course I have a lifetime supply of it that those wee quantities.

Previously that first kevlar felt utility thwart adhesion mean that I had to step away from the thwart or any other boat work overnight for fear of knocking it askew. That resin saturated kevlar felt isn’t there to provide any real strength, it’s just there to hold the thwart in place so I can lay glass across the edge of the cockpit coming and thwart

But Doug had brought an unopened kit of West System G/5 Five Minute epoxy.

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/g5/

I didn’t know there was such a thing. heck, Doug didn’t know there was such a thing, he bought it by accident. And for this marathon endeavor it saved us a night’s epoxy cure wait; 5-minutes later the utility thwart was help firmly in place and we could lay more cloth and resin

G/5 will have a place in my epoxy stash, especially since Doug left me with the nearly full cans.

We cut strips of glass tape and epoxied them (West 105/206) into place across the coming edge and thwart ends, peel ply’ed them and walked away. It was 6pm.

We knocked off at 6pm. That accounted for a 10-hour day with three guys working. And none of us dubbed around aimlessly for long, even me.

Probably an aggregate 20 hours of work; I didn’t give Doug a rest, he went full on for all 10 hours. Joel did more in 6 hours and Doug and I could have done in a day. And I mostly supervised and cleaned up, contributing maybe 4 hours of actually tool in hand.

Joel departed and I eventually put Doug to bed in the tripping truck. The lights in the truck bed weren’t on for long; he must have been tired. Little did he know that I was just warming up, and had barely started to work him like a rented shop mule.

Tomorrow Day 2 and some real work begins. Sleep well Doug.

Friday, Day 2. I let Doug sleep in, tidied up the shop, laid out the first needed tools and brewed a pot of shop coffee. We were back at it by 8am.

I started Doug with a little warm up stretching. Duckhead sticker and High Intensity reflective tape on the decks and figuring out how to retrofit his deck compass, eliminating the overkill of four corner bungee with clips with a simple continuous bungee loop off each side. The surgery and reconstruction took three attempts, but it will fit on either the front deck (when using the spray skirt) or utility thwart.

Back to contact cement work. Doug installed minicel wedges shaped to covered some old irremovable foot brace hardware, minicel heel pads below each foot padal and clever /_) curved minicel knee/thigh bumper wedges to contact cement against the edge of the hull, test fitted with Doug in the boat papered and outline tape. I helped by doing the actual press in place installation.

Fortunately Doug and Joel pointed out that I had caught the rudder cable between the minicel and hull on my exceedingly careful application. I should probably stop helping, supervise and drink beer.

The minicel outfitting is a time suck when done correctly. It needs the paddler seated in the boat (god bless a shop pad between the hull and concrete floor) with ergonomically customized pad positioning.

Once that is done alcohol wipe the hull surface. Tape the outline, paper for drips, do a dry test fit or three so you know just how you plan to hold and place that instant stuck piece minicel. Remember to mark the pieces minicel and their orientation on the hull (#1, right….that marking led to some confusion as Doug and I sparred around what the meaning of right and left)

With those minicel pieces contact cemented, covered with wax paper and sandbagged we had a chance to dub around. Well, Doug finally had a spell to dub around, I’d mostly been supervising. He almost got half a beer down before I put him back to work.

We (Doug) razor bladed off the old rope handles, filled the holes with a dimple of blue pigmented 5-minute epoxy and it was time to hit the cutting table and cut some cloth and peel ply.

We opted to use Dynel for this round, given evidence that Doug can’t keep his wet gloves off the fray ends of fiberglass tape. We cut two pieces of Dynel to lie across the bottom of the utility thwart, and two pieces to lie under the decks to support modern carry handles, with peel ply cut one inch larger all the way around.

With the cloth cut and waiting Doug returned to the contact cemented minicel, laid a bead of Plumber’s Goop around the minicel-to-hull seams and it was time to flip the Opus upside down for the first time onto the extra tall work-inside-the-hull sawhorses.

Time for Doug to work inside the hull, contorted through the narrow space between the tip of the cockpit opening and the utility thwart. He needed to reach as far forward as possible to lay the glass, and later hold the carry handle nuts.

Good thing he’s skinny. Too bad he grunts and groans like a 70 year old. In and out, in and out, contorted through that tiny space; paint some epoxy on the underside of the deck, lay the Dynel, lay the peel ply, smooth it out, pull the perimeter tape.

The stern, without the utility thwart in the way was easier. Especially for me as by then I had found a comfy chair and cracked a cold beer. Doug meanwhile was still grunting and groaning a lot.

Escaping his contortionist confinement Doug managed to drink most of the rest of his now-tepid beer before I put him back on task. He taped, papered, epoxied and peel ply’ed the bottom of the utility thwart.

Well, heck, the boat is upside down and we can’t mess with the inside any more. But we can mess with the outside. We might as well install skid plates. Back to the cutting table to trim an 18 inch long vee of Dynel and peel ply to cover the stems.

We papered and double taped the Opus stems (Doug came to understand the benefit of double taping) and mixed the usual witche’s brew of Dynel skid plate epoxy; 50% G/flex, 50% West 105/206, a tiny dab of black pigment and a teaspoon of graphite powder.

Doug had brought some green pull nylon peel ply and I wanted to see it in action. Seeing it once was enoughto dissuade me from ever using that green pull stuff; it took several test pulls over nearly 2 hours time, checking it every 15 minutes towards the end, and it took Doug pulling with both hands and me holding the boat down to pull it off.

The end result was identical to using release treated peel ply, but one is dissuaded from using green pull by its inability to accommodate drinking copious quantities of beer and paying no attention to the passing of time.

The green pull nylon finally came off at 8pm at it was again time to walk away and put Doug to bed.

12 straight hours in the shop. In actual man-hours, call it 11 hours for Doug and a retiree’s half-day of 4 hours for me. 15 man hours, some of which was waiting for multiple coats of contact cement to dry before heat gunning application. Doug prefers four coats on minicel and I typically do three.

OMG, what a project! It just might make a decent sailing rig. Considering how hard it would be to hike out, do you plan to put an outrigger on it?

Saturday, Day 3

Hard awork at 7am. Doug should have done his morning Yoga, ‘cause he was back inside the inverted hull. Pull all of the peel ply, hold the nuts on the two-person carry handle install. Doug again grunted and groaned like an elderly contortionist while I sat in a wheel shop chair and turned a screwdriver.

Time to flip Opus back upright and carry on working atop. We Dremeled the old rope dimples smooth and top coated them with blue pigmented epoxy. I supervised, or tried to; careful with that Dremel tool Doug….oops, too late.

Back upright it was time for more contact cement and minicel work, knee bumpers/thigh braces Part II. We covered the inner face of the minicel / ) wedges with a piece of 3/4" inch minicel, again custom band sawed and Dragonskinned to shape. Again dry test fitted, marked, papered and taped. Again, a time suck of waiting for multiple coats of contact cement to dry.

And the funnest part of outfitting, drilling holes and dressing the utility thwart with a Spirit Sail base mount, deck hooks for compass, open cleat for bowline, deck hooks, pad eyes and bungees for paddle keeps and lateral bungee atop the thwart for miscellaneous gear keepage.

That’s it, we are done with outfitting Opus #2. Oh, wait, we should weight it. Oh, heck, we should have weighed it before we started. Finished weight, fully outfitted, with rudder and Phase 3 seat, Opus comes in at 63 lbs. We might as well weight my glass and nylon Opie. 57 lbs for the glass and nylon layup

We should have marked the balance point center line on those boats while we had them hanging strap suspended from the scale on the ceiling. We might as well weight the summer project boat Doug brought me to augment my 1970 decked tandem sailing kayak collection

*More later about that rarity hull

We were done at 12 noon, only a 5 hour day. Maybe 7 total man hours, Doug D 5, Mike 2.

Done for the day with perfect timing, as Tom and Mobie arrived and meaningful work ceased to have meaning.

27 hours in the shop and a little over 40 man hours. Most fun I’ve had in ages. I learned some new tricks, G/5, using the appropriately sized heat shrink tubing to seal the ends of bungee and line, that I never want to use green pull peel ply and that I need to spend more time supervising Doug and less actually working.

If you’ve made it this far, which I doubt anyone who wasn’t in the shop at the time has, that was the best and most productive three days I’ve ever had in the shop, and the most fun.

Last edited:
Later on Saturday Doug and I finished up the day with a diner meal and a jaunt to Blue Mountain Outfitters.

I was at BMO a month ago, picked out $2 worth of rudder line cable straps and somehow lost them in the parts and pieces I was procuring. Friend Mary was working the counter and picked out another 2 bucks worth when we couldn’t find the first batch. When I got home I found the missing ones in the shopping bag.

I owe BMO $2 (well, a lot more than that on the non-monetary side). We came into the shop the back way and there was a 2-weeks on the job newbie I’d not met before working the counter. I handed her a pair of wrinkled $1 bills and said “Gimme two bucks on Cable Straps in the fifth to win”.

I’ve never seem a young woman so utterly perplexed.

I needed a BMO run for some epoxy and Dragonskin and painter line. That dang Doug insisted that we buy the most expensive Spectra painter line we could find. No, not DougD, the other Doug.

Doug D went on a spending spree; cleats and grommet straps and wee hard to find pieces, 30 feet of Spectra painter line, 30 feet of quality marine bungee, High Intensity reflective tape, epoxy pigment, a Scotty Rod base, the last of the Dragonskin. And a BMO hat which I know he will wear with pride; especially since the house fire destroyed his hat collection.

Before I could get him out of BMO he had found the paddles, and left with a nice composite stick for Opus use. A BMO visit is dangerous to the wallet.

And I love taking a BMO virgin there for the first time.

*The summer project boat. Doug brought me is a 1976 Klepper Kamerad TS kayak. A hardshell glass boat, the “TS” stands for “Tandem Sailing”

https://www.google.com/search?q=klep...ml%3B931%3B740

OMG, what a project! It just might make a decent sailing rig. Considering how hard it would be to hike out, do you plan to put an outrigger on it?

No outrigger needed, some of those old 70’s decked hulls were made to sail. The Kamerad has a large rudder and a mast step. It should make for a wonderful no-rush summer soloization rebuild and outfitting project.

Doug and I both have a shout out for Mad Mike, who brought those Craigslisted boats to our attention. Can’t thank you enough Mike.

Last edited:
Glad to help man. I spent less than an hour renewing the finish on two boats wood work. Not worthy.

Sounds like a fun weekend and a great project. The excellent play by play makes up for the lack of pictures.....almost. ;)

Alan

Sounds like a fun weekend and a great project. The excellent play by play makes up for the lack of pictures.....almost. ;)

Alan

Besides being the principal worker Doug was also the photographer. He’ll have photos and a write up from his indentured servitude prospective on his blog, but I’m hoping he posts a few here as well, at least a before and after shot.

No Title

Here's some pictures in no particular order of the job as a teaser. One of the pics is of the hull with the original seats in and you can see the double reinforcement on the bottom of the hull. Believe or not those are wooden dowels glassed in to stiffen the hull. What was very nice was working with Mike and Joel as they know what they are doing. I will say I woke up this morning a bit sore and probably made more then a few of the old man noises!

For all the pictures here is the link:

http://plus.google.com/photos/115656493558573181332/albums/6152591174900288929

Attachments

• photo2235.JPG
    photo2235.JPG
    29.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2234.JPG
    photo2234.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2236.JPG
    photo2236.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2237.JPG
    photo2237.JPG
    80 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2238.JPG
    photo2238.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2239.JPG
    photo2239.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2240.JPG
    photo2240.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2241.JPG
    photo2241.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2242.JPG
    photo2242.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo2243.JPG
    photo2243.JPG
    228.7 KB · Views: 0
Working in the shop with Doug was an absolute pleasure. Joel and I are familiar company doing shop work together and complement each other’s style and attentiveness. Or lack thereof.

Or at least we usually keep each other from making obvious preparation, application or sequence mistakes.

Doug was a perfect fit, just like the outfitting is his Optima. Unlike Joel he even put tools and materials away throughout the day, back in their proper place. Often waiting until I was done using them.

The shop was as clean and organized when he left as when he arrived. That’s never happened before, and usually doesn’t when I walk into the shop the next morning on solo sessions.

Doug’s Opus is a better boat than my Opie. It was more competently built to start with, and the outfitting we installed was better and more cunningly achieved with previous lessons learned.

It helped immensely helpful to have an identical 1977 Optima sitting alongside Doug’s boat. We could look from one to the other and see which parts and pieces needed to go on and identify exactly where with Doug sitting in the boat, which helped strategize a sequence of work that didn’t end our shop day prematurely.

And, honestly, we couldn’t have done it without Joel. Well, we could have, but we’d have spent the whole first day installing the seat, rudder and foot pedals.

Or without Doug. He did do 90% of the manual labor and grunt work. Especially the grunting part. And he didn’t fall off the roof, set the place on fire, or dry land capsize, so there’s that.

Having two or three knowledgeable boat tinkerers working simultaneously, one with tools in hand for some task at which he was most practiced (we all had our specialties), one assisting said specialized worker bee by handing him tools and materials and one putting away and preparing what was needed next sped the rebuild process by a factor of 3.

Never letting Doug sit down and have more than half a beer sped the process by a factor of 4+. Maybe 5 or 6.

Of course I learned a bunch of new to me stuff, same as with every oddball rebuild. Heat shrink tubing sized to fit on the ends of bungee or rope is a wonderful thing. West System G/5 absolutely has its uses. Green pull nylon peel ply is an unnecessary PITA. Don’t take a hull with freshly contacted cemented minicel out in the hot sun (let it sit at overnight at least). Always have Joel in the shop for rudder and foot pedal installation. Make sure the Taylor hanging scale if facing right side up before weighing a boat and climbing up to read the scale. Weight the boat before and after. I’m still learning that one.

And more. A hacksaw blade with a duct taped “handle” is often the ideal tool for cutting out old glassed in hardware, especially if you need to bend it to conform to a bottom or chine curve.

I just used that DougD trick myself, cutting the glass crap out of the Klepper Kamerad. I needed two hack saw blades for that job, one handled for cutting right, one for cutting left.

Doug, you are welcome in my shop anytime. Joel and I are talking about doing another marathon shop session making Seattle Fabrics heat sealable dry bags. We have all of the templates and ironing fences we made last session, and a designated shop iron.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/dry_bag.html

Maybe a couple of custom sized tapers to fill the stems of the Opus, a Thermarest pad for the back deck, chair bag sized for your choice of camp throne….

Other Shop Visitors

While Doug, Joel and I were hard awork on Opus a young couple came down the sign posted “No Trespassing” dirt drive and parked in front of the shop’s open garage doors. They were about the same age as my sons and I thought maybe friends, so I greeted them heartily.

They tried to hand me a Watchtower. They were Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Before they got a word out I pointed at Joel and Doug and said “He’s a communist, he’s an atheist, and I’m a Quaker.

They didn’t say another word. Fastest proselytizing depart ever.

I'm almost ready with my Monarch, testing it out on Saturday. Need me a sail!

The simple downwind sail that I have come to prefer doesn’t seem to be available anymore.

http://www.spiritsails.com/products-page/?category=2

A few outfitters have the sail parts, mount and battens, but not the critical V yoke piece that the sail battens sleeve over. If you manage to find a mid-sized Spirit Sail package with all of the parts I’d buy that one.

Beyond that simplest of sails there are a few others downwind sails, including the Pacific Action Sail and the Windpaddle.

In the last 5 years a number of kayak sails, with proper masts and sheets (lines) have come on the market, and those allow for tacking into the wind. Falcon sails seem to be highly regarded.

http://www.falconsails.com/

Or Flat Earth sails

http://www.flatearthkayaksails.com/

Here's my write up on the whole affair including some paint work when I got home. I got out on the local river with a good friend who took it for a test ride and as he pulled into shore declared it was like riding in a Cadillac. Now I'm looking for some caddy emblems to add as that is the new moniker for this hull. Shop time for me is usually solo so when the occasion occurs when there are more then one of us hull dubbers involved it is a grand thing as it happens so infrequently. The amount of work done is amazing when there are two or three like minded folks who actually have a working knowledge of hulls. What was really nice was to feel so comfortable in someone else's workshop.

Pretty much the same write up as Mikes but with a few more pictures.

http://scooter-bangortoportland.blog...ked-canoe.html

Here's my write up on the whole affair including some paint work when I got home. I got out on the local river with a good friend who took it for a test ride and as he pulled into shore declared it was like riding in a Cadillac. Now I'm looking for some caddy emblems to add as that is the new moniker for this hull. Shop time for me is usually solo so when the occasion occurs when there are more then one of us hull dubbers involved it is a grand thing as it happens so infrequently. The amount of work done is amazing when there are two or three like minded folks who actually have a working knowledge of hulls. What was really nice was to feel so comfortable in someone else's workshop.

That marathon rebuild was undoubtedly the most fun I have ever had in the shop. You, Joel and I made an excellent team, and we need to do that again next time Joel is back.

I think the Cadillac moniker is perfect for that big, uber-comfortable and surprisingly fast boat. A junkyard Cadillac chrome script attached to the deck would be the finishing touch.

I really like that Orca-like circle incorporating the black skid plates with the black seam tape. I will be replicating that on some hull.

You need to get the Caddy out under sail, and get some on-water photos.

Back