• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Soggy + Buggy Family Trip over the May Long Weekend

Reaction score
Got to spend the May Long Weekend on the first overnight trip of 2017. One of my son's classmates has an experienced, canoe-tripping dad and we were graciously invited to join their family trip. The location was Big East Lake, just East of Bracebridge, Ontario. At one point in the planning we had a total of 4 dads and 9 kids committed to going. The other two families had never been canoe camping before so our host rationally decided to book a site relatively close to the access point in case a quick exit was needed.

The other two families would eventually back out so the trip involved a more manageable group of 2 fathers and 3 children. Being just a short 1.5 km or so from the safety of the parking lot with a mere 175m carry to the lake meant we could bring more luxuries than we normally would take.

Arriving on a sunny Saturday morning, the parking lot was filled to the brim. We ended parking next to a pickup truck where the occupants had brought 10L jugs of water, giant coolers, multiple bags of firewood and even a gas powered electric generator! They were bringing in their supplies by making a trail with ATVs and wreaking havoc to the already muddy 175m trail to the shore. Luckily our booked site was farther down the lake and really only accessible by water.

My son and I arrived first that morning so we set off to get some camp chores done. Here he is "stabilizing" the canoe for me to enter.
May%2BCanoe%2BTrip%2B02_rs.jpg

For this trip, he was using his new 48" sassafras paddle for the first time. I had just finished carving and decorating it the a few days before departure. He wanted a big "K" on the blade for his initial and some other plant themed decorations were added to the grip and upper blade.
K%2Bpaddle4.jpg

May%2BCanoe%2BTrip%2B05_rs.jpg

Once across the the bay, we entered the narrow part of the lake known as "The Cut". High slopes on either side make this area a bit more protected from the wind. Our campsite was near the end where the channel opens up to the wider part of the lake to south.
May%2BCanoe%2BTrip%2B09_rs.jpg

We arrived quickly to site 6, a sloping site that climbs up from the rocky shoreline. Gear was quickly unloaded and the site explored.
May%2BCanoe%2BTrip%2B10_rs.jpg

Apart from a 2x2 sheet of plywood left by the fire pit, the campsite looked well maintained and clean. Our camp mates arrived and began setting up their gear as well. One of the luxuries included an extra tarp and bug net that was rigged over the thunderbox. Given the amount of rain and bugs we experienced, this setup allowed this special private time to be stress free and comfortable. I'll be spending a few bucks on a similar setup for future trips.
May%2BCanoe%2BTrip%2B23_rs.jpg

By this point we were surprised at how numerous and active the mosquitoes were this early in the season. My Eureka VCS13 bug shelter had been slung up between some trees close to shore for the view. The kids would later pretty much take over the shelter for the duration of the trip.
May%2BCanoe%2BTrip%2B18_rs.jpg

It was also nice to see and learn from other people's methods of camping which tend to be more high tech and modern than my own. Our companions brought along a set of Helinox Zero chairs (which my son loved) as well as the collapsible Helinox Table One. I brought along my wanigan for a table, as well as the homemade Basmati Rice Bag chair for a seat. Over the winter, I made a second version of this tensioned chair but never posted it on the site. Version 2.0 is a bit higher off the ground and made with 1x2 poplar for the frame, poplar slats for the seats, some left over canvas strips and paracord for tension. It was stained using an old walnut gel in the basement paint collection. While the kids sought relief from the bugs in the screened shelter, I headed to the shoreline for the view and and the breeze.
May%2BCanoe%2BTrip%2B26_rs.jpg

We had a lovely campfire that first night but sitting by the fire meant full on bug jackets...
DSCN0025_rs.jpg

Morning coffee and a breakfast of pancakes were prepared on the wanigan. I really like having an elevated surface for food prep instead of laying stuff on the ground or a rock. Where appropriate the wanigan will be coming on more trips.
May%2BCanoe%2BTrip%2B31_rs.jpg

Unfortunately, darker clouds rolled in and light drizzle began mid morning. This didn't deter the two boys and little sister. I took out the bushcraft camp toys made in the winter (original thread here) and the trio began taken turns to work on a fallen log with axe, saw and crooked knife. Here are the boys practicing de-limbing and trying to remove some of the bark.
May%2BCanoe%2BTrip%2B42_rs.jpg

Later, little sister had a turn and did a marvelous job marking off where the adults should cut the trunk for manageable firewood pieces.
May%2BCanoe%2BTrip%2B34_rs.jpg

May%2BCanoe%2BTrip%2B35_rs.jpg

The drizzle unfortunately turned into full-fledged heavy rain that would last until early the next morning so our plans for fishing were skunked. Luckily both dads had brought along additional tarps, so the space in front of our tents was covered. However, the tent pad locations were in such an open space that tie off trees were quite far apart. In the end, we had a tangled jumble of lines everywhere and some saggy tarps but at least we had a comfortable space where everyone remained dry for the rest of the trip.
P1050896_rs.jpg

Luckily the rain let up by the morning of day 3 but all the tarps and flysheets needed to be put away wet. Still, the kids did well during the torrential downpour and when we got back to the parking lot by noon, there were only 3 vehicles left, two of which were ours. The earlier crowds must've bailed during the stormier weather. Once settled for the drive home I asked my son if he had any complaints about the trip. I was thinking he was going to say the soggy conditions or the lack of fishing time or the hordes of bugs. Instead, he responded that the trip was too short and he wanted to stay for longer next time!

good deal (minus the clowns at the put in) and a reminder of need for bug nets, extra tarps, more cordage...without it you would have been miserable. Keep the kid, he's got potential!

Beautiful personalized paddle, and wonderful to see it in use. Same for all the gear you handcraft; fitting to see it deployed on a trip. Yes, I'm a little surprised to hear of the buggy onslaught, and the cold rain might've been dispiriting too; but on the plus side you're all made of sterner stuff, and were rewarded with peace and quiet from the softer spectators lugging noisy luxuries! Well done all of you!
Thanks for this Murat.

Lots of interesting goings-on in your report. Thanks for sharing. The camp tools link shows wonderful stuff, but the paddles and all your research and work on the paddling blog...fantastic! So much interesting information about paddling culture. On the blog I see no link to "sales" of your work. Do you sell any of your paddles, Murat, and if so, can you give me (us) some more info about that?

Last edited:
Murat my friend that is what it is all about!! Good for you, your son and your friends!!

excellent trip and report.

Those kids are troopers for sure and as boatstall says they don't know yet how lucky they are to be getting primed for a life in the great outdoors.

Nice to see someone else using W/C canoes too. We caught the black flies on our trip...still have holes in me from the little buggers. You can't really sit out at a fire here in the summer either...waaaaaay too many sagamesuk. Fall it the best time to be out, far less bugs to deal with.

Thanks everyone. Feeling pretty great that the little ones enjoyed themselves without any trouble...a canoe tripping dad's wish come true.

Potential for another longer trip (4-6 days) later in the summer.

Martin: Appreciate the kind words about my site. No sales link because I'm really doing all this for my own personal enjoyment and therapeutic escape from reality. Had a few commissions years ago and it turned me off of carving for other folks. Many of the earlier paddles have been donated for charity auctions and fund-raisers. The rest I've kept for personal use. Hopefully others can get inspired and carve their own just like learning about all these historic designs has inspired me.

Great trip Murat! Your little adventure proves that you don't need to get too far out in the bush to have a good time. Just as long as you and the kids are getting out there! Thanks

Jason

That's a beautiful paddle. Sounds like a fun trip, despite the bugs. Bug shelter over the privy is a great idea. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! I've already ordered the same bug net shelter for our next trip. The mosquitoes are something fierce this year...

Back