• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

Christmas gifts

Reaction score
Christmas is fast approaching but I was able to carve this paddle out of cherry. It is for the kitchen, stirring those big pots of chowder or stew or whatever.
4BC52DC9-9AFC-4B43-84DD-0805C93967F4.jpeg 20BD8387-E5BA-4C3B-B8D3-D8C7017E6B33.jpeg 3A6E3BB7-505D-488B-8C09-CB170757419D.jpeg 26CAE8CC-212E-4674-A6FA-16965B2FAA0B.jpeg
It’s about 18” Long and I think 2 1/4” wide and just shy of 3/8” thick at the hand grip. I’ve made a bunch of simpler versions of this for years with a square paddle and a straight handle and every one loves them, Lidia the cookbook author and tv chef is getting one this year from my sister in law.
Any others make Christmas gifts for their paddling friends?
Jim

I had the idea to make a little pocket thingy for a canoe seat for some time now and finally got around to it. My thought was to have a place to hold small things, can stay on while portaging, and be able to zip/unzip with one hand. After 3 prototypes, #4 came out the way I want, so I made some for a few friends and family. Big hands, cheap sewing machine and small pouch made these a little challenging to make.

Mark

IMG_2203.jpg

In a the not too distance past, I’ve made some Ferro Rod, braided wax soaked Jute Fire Starter Tubes for my outdoorsy friends. The tube idea was floating around back in late December and early January on this forum in the winter of 2016-17. Easy to to make, plus worked quite nicely. I don’t always use a ferro rod to light mine, I do light it most times with a match or bic lighter make a long lasting flame to get a fire going. Also works as a candle, although I never used mine for very long.
I will revive that thread after I post this one.

Last edited:
Back in Sep, our local small brewer asked me to build him some beer cases
400282819_724190469740737_2931723901626806017_n.jpg
386597257_701745778651873_6412756098499459337_n.jpg

We agreed to work for Beer

PC081102.JPG
My canoe partners/sons are getting the hardwood version of the case.

The boxes are all made from Pallet Wood.

some small things ...

Dreamcatcher to_go

P1160575.jpg . P1160580.jpg

P1160582.jpg

Keyring pendant made from leather straps

IMGP1020.jpg . IMGP1013.jpg

IMGP1025.jpg

for the little ones ... leather patches ...

P1160688.jpg . P1160689.jpg

P1160693.jpg

or something exquisite

DSCI1683.jpg . DSCI1685.jpg

DSCI1688.jpg . DSCI1689.jpg

DSCI1692.jpg . DSCI1693.jpg

DSCI1696.jpg

making off: Antti Mäkinen 75mm Puukko

making off: Lederscheide für das Antti Mäkinen 75mm Puukko

Last edited:
I’m the same way. I’ve bought blades when I was last in Norway but the last couple I’ve done I used blades from the same maker as yours. Those are good blades. I do need to make a couple of sheaths this winter.
Jim

That’s what I do also, not really a knife maker, but I am a handle and sheath maker. Forging a blade is a dark art, best handed down from father to son. My father was a Power Lineman, he taught me not to play with power lines and never climb power poles.
Those YP blades are very good and incredibly affordable for their quality. On my daily walks with my dogs this time of year, I carry a YP 240mm (9 1/2 inch) blade Leuko for keeping limbs & shrubs from encroaching on the sled dog trails.
I’ve made quite a few Puukko’s and filleting knives for Christmas, birthday and retirement gifts. I once made a friend a Puukko as a gift. He wouldn’t take it until I would except the nearest thing that he owned, that his eyes fell on, a really nice aluminum ladder. Seems in his culture knife giving brings bad luck to both receivers and givers. Trading, buying & selling is the only way to safety exchange knives.

That’s what I do also, not really a knife maker, but I am a handle and sheath maker. Forging a blade is a dark art, best handed down from father to son. My father was a Power Lineman, he taught me not to play with power lines and never climb power poles.
Those YP blades are very good and incredibly affordable for their quality. On my daily walks with my dogs this time of year, I carry a YP 240mm (9 1/2 inch) blade Leuko for keeping limbs & shrubs from encroaching on the sled dog trails.
I’ve made quite a few Puukko’s and filleting knives for Christmas, birthday and retirement gifts. I once made a friend a Puukko as a gift. He wouldn’t take it until I would except the nearest thing that he owned, that his eyes fell on, a really nice aluminum ladder. Seems in his culture knife giving brings bad luck to both receivers and givers. Trading, buying & selling is the only way to safety exchange knives.
I’ve always been told, if you give a knife as a gift you should include a coin with it. That way the person receiving the knife can then “pay” you for it. My understanding is giving a knife without accepting payment will “sever” the friendship or goodwill between the giver and receiver.

Basically, I'm giving away some coins ... with a knife hanging from it, complete with handle and matching sheath ...

That is very creative, kahel, a work of function and art. Just out of curiosity, do you impale only French coins or German coins too?

10 francs.jpg

I like to use the French coins because they are made of bronze. I find the slightly reddish sheen a little more appealing than the yellow-gold sheen of brass.

I've also used American silver dollars before ... but I can't get them as well here.
I also used old German coins once ... a 5 D-Mark piece. The silver content was still quite high back then and it looked nice afterwards ...

regards
Michael
P1160700.jpg . P1160704.jpg . P1160707.jpg

P1160754.jpg . P1160765.jpg . P1160767.jpg

Last edited:
Back