• Happy National Garlic Day! 🧄🚫🧛🏼‍♂️

Northern Ontario-Marshall Lake Circuit-10 days solo

Hi Dave, Thanks, Hope you share some pics of your trip.

Hi Rippy, Thanks, I agree with you, selfies really add to any TR imo. I'm working on my GoPro video's but that's a whole new ball game for me and it takes time.

How bad were the mosquito's? Did you ever burn a coil in the tent or need to?

Now that we have read your report a couple of times and followed the route on Google earth, at this point we are thinking of doing the loop next September, it is pencilled in for 2015.

Some times the mosquito's where tough, but I never put the headneat on. I used the coil you guys gave me at Memaquys every night, it works.

It's a tough trip imo, but the best I have ever done. The ports are unused and wading was a better option at some times, the solitude was unbelievable. The campsites Memaquay recommended excellent,The last two ports, 1 mile and the last a mile and a quarter got into my head before the end of the trip, at 66 years old I was somewhat worried about these crossings. I was able to complete them and am very happy for that.

We have pretty much decided that we will be doing that trip with the kids this coming June, so ports will all be opened up again for anyone wanting the challenge.

You know Mem, when you get the kids out there you can tell them all about Robin's solo adventure on the loop, that oughta give them something to think about as they slog through the loon crap.

Do the Outers club kids ever go out on their own during the Summer, or is it strictly a during school thing?

Not too many of them go out on their own, they are usually tied down with jobs during the summer. Canoe tripping seems to be the habit of people of a certain age, if you get my drift.

Great TR Robin! Did you take any reading material with you?

Nothing, I had read a couple of books about the region shortly before the trip, but I left all reading material home. There where a couple of times I would have liked to have had something about the local history to read, or better maps to look at, but for the most part this trip was about moving, eating and sleeping so I didn't miss reading. I did bring a pair of small binocs which I used often to scan the shorelines and bush for wildlife. I didn't observe much, very quiet.

Thank you, Robin, for that great report. I didn't have time to finish it over breakfast, so I copied it to my iPad reading list. There I was on a crowded subway in downtown Toronto feasting on the imagery both literary and photographic, and bystanders started to crane their necks to see what was happening on Gripp Lake, etc. It was a bit surreal!

Wow, great report! I had somehow missed this.

Thanks for the photos and the detailed narrative.

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

Thanks Robin! I really enjoyed that TR. I am also impressed with the aplomb you display for taking on big portages with no big deal, just-do-it attitude.

I appreciate the extra work you had to do in order to set up the tripod and take self portraits when doing stuff. I think a human in frame doing stuff always adds to the quality of a TR. I do not have a flip out screen on my cameras (old DSLR nor P&S), so its always a challenge for me to set up a me-in-frame-doing-stuff image. I need to invest in a better camera outfit with the flip out screen option to see if I am in frame. For video a flip out screen in invaluable, and when I am shooting video currently, I have no idea what's truly in frame and out, and often have to delete stuff which was not framed well.

I need to invest in a better camera outfit with the flip out screen option to see if I am in frame. For video a flip out screen in invaluable, and when I am shooting video currently, I have no idea what's truly in frame and out, and often have to delete stuff which was not framed well.

I don't have a smartphone or the kind of camera I'm describing, but many cameras now can link to a smartphone via bluetooth or some other similar direct connection. You can hold the smartphone and see what the camera is seeing and control most of the camera's features such as taking pictures, zooming, etc. If it works, that would be more functional for selfies than a rotating flip-out screen, which is what I have on both my videocam and my P&S camera.

Robin, what books did you read about the area? I too live where Mem lives, but have just been here since the fall. I would love to read and learn about this area.

I read "Trap Lines North" by Stephen w. Meader, long out of print but now available in paperback, google it. It is a true story of a family living in Nakina area back in the 30's. I also read "Paddle, Pack and Speckled Trout" by Edwin W. Mills, also hard to get, but I got my copy (paperback) from Northland Outfitters in Nakina, Ontario,(http://northlandoutfitters.com/) I enjoyed both, but at $35 each, I'll be reading them a few more times to get my moneys worth..ha.

There is also a nice website but it doesn't get much activity here http://traplinesnorth.proboards.com/

Thank you Robin. I have Trap Lines North in my library already but I will have to pick up Paddle Pack and Speckled Trout next trip to Nakina.

I am bumping this up. A great trip report by Robin of the route Mem suggested.

Thanks, Robin. You are always an inspiration.
Erica

Wonderful trip report. My family would love to eat pancakes "again" being that I am big on serving oatmeal. Looks like the canoe route your friend recommended was a winner!

Just a note, my buddy Rob the Chainsaw guy, cleared both big ports at the end of August last year. That's the one miler out of Stone, and the 1.5 miler out of Meta. The rest of the trip has been used regularly by our club, so it's a good year to do the loop!

Back