• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Cedar Strip DY Special

Reaction score
31 lbs, 16'8" long, very fast, very pretty. $1,000 firm....this is a custom designed (by DY himself) DY Special.
Boat was built by me, 3.25 oz cloth in and out, epoxy resin, sealed bulkheads and decks. All mahogany trim. Not for the novice paddler.

Any questions, feel free to ask. Hull is still in great shape, it just doesn't suit the sort of paddling that I do now.
BTW, the lightest production DY Specials were nearly 10 lbs heavier...

DSC_1559.JPG

DSC_5448.JPG

Last edited:
Beautiful. I can't believe this hasn't sold yet. A brittled with age Goldenglass DY Special would cost $750. And it would weigh about 20 pounds more and be a lot less pretty.

Alan

If I weren't on the other side of the country I'd be havin' that beauty :)

Actually, your talk about a Magic is what prompted me to post this here...I've had some casual activity on the boat through craigslist, but nothing serous yet.
I do have a boat shop acquaintance that will put the boat in his shop on consignment as soon as he has the room for it.

It's a beautiful design and build, it'll go eventually.

Because you built it for your specific needs it may make it more difficult to sell. Doesn't matter how pretty it is, or how fast, or how light. It needs just the right buyer and that could take more time than you believe it should.

No stems, very lightweight cloth, no full gunwales. Very specialized and you need to find someone looking for that specific boat. It may also mean dropping the price if you really want to sell it.

W/C canoes fully restored to original have taken 5 years to sell just because they need that one specific person to find it.

This might be a good place to list it:

http://www.neckra.org/classifieds

Probably not many from out east here but this is the right crowd for it:

http://www.rivermiles.com/forum/YaBB.pl?board=Sale

There's some Sawyer fans at BWCA.com too. But again, wrong section of the country:

http://bwca.com/index.cfm?fuseactio...1&forumId=133&CFID=450222700&CFTOKEN=48962754

Maybe Sawyer canoes aren't in such demand out east as they are in the midwest. There seems to be a small cult following, especially for DY Specials and Shockwaves. I imagine, however, there's more talk than actual people willing to spend the money to buy one. I suppose most people will be leary of woodstrip, not realizing how durable and low maintenance it is. Plus the uncertainty of how good the builder is. Buying a manufacturers boat, even it if is 30 years old, heavy, and brittle, is safe because that's what everyone else does.

Best of luck. Someone is going to be very happy with that boat.

If you ever feel like coming to Iowa, and only God knows why anyone would, bring that DY along and I'll see if I can pawn it off on someone. :)

Alan

I'd be honoured to own it Stripperguy! Unfortunately I have no money.

I have some beautifully figured solid lumber if you want to trade??? Building anything else that might need some material?

How about a kid or two? I'll give you a special deal?

Alan,
Thanks for the links, I'll take a closer look shortly...yeah, someone will get a great boat. Maybe I can just fold it up and mail it to you!! All boats can fold, you know.

And Mihun09, thanks for the alternate perspective. No laminated stems, lightweight cloth, partial length gunnels (and NO hardwood) are all major advantages, where I paddle.
The hull has seen some hard use and still looks like new. I've carried it as much as 5 miles at a time, and it has been lent out to many 200 lb+ paddlers...somehow, it hasn't fallen apart yet!

I actually like that ...its cute. Maybe if you had full gunwales on the outside to pretty it up a bit it would be an easier sell. I am sure the kayak crowd would like it. I imagine that it is a really nice paddling boat. And really, how can you argue a DY design?

For pond hopping and quick trips into small creeks and rivers this would the the thing. I would say try some of the kayak sites and maybe think of an $800 price tag and it shoulld go quick. Or hold onto it until spring when paddle fever strikes.

Even though I am a traditionalist, I like the ideas behind this. Especially the weight, or lack thereof.

Christy

Wow... still here... Sometimes I really wish I still lived in NY... I'd at least be over to test drive it with the serious intent to buy it.

Hi, Just checking in. Have you sold your stripper yet. If not, I may be interested. I'm an intermediate paddler interested in venturing into some short solo paddling trips. What did you use the boat for? Can you give me additional specs on the boat? Rocker, beam at gunwales, etc? The length might be a tad long for me, but the weight is perfect, and it is a beauty. - vicki

Yup,
That beautiful boat is still lonely in my garage, it's itching to get back out there.
I used it for day trips and camping trips, up to 4 day trips, limited by my schedule, not the hulls capacity.
As a day tripper, with me paddling (welterweight division), the hull drafts less than 2 inches, so I used to sneak into places where others would drag and give up.
All in all, it's a fun boat.

Thanks to all for watching...the DY left my garage last night for the final time. A very excited and fit 25 year old guy was happy to get it.
He was a little nervous on the test paddle, but said he would rather have a boat that he could grow into, rather than get a boat that he would soon outgrow.
Now, if I can just finish repairing and sell that stinkin' Harley, I'll have room for the next build!

Back