• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

​Blue Barrel folding tabletop Mark V

G

Friend Ed called a week ago and asked “How do you build those folding barrel tops you use?” The build makes a lot more sense with photos, and with the previous build photos held for ransom by Photobucket I started again from scratch.

¼ birch plywood “game” boards this time.

Day 1

I like the half sheet of ¼ inch birch plywood as a lightweight everyman folding tabletop better than any of the previous tops. That half sheet is enough for a 30L and a 60L top. Easy to cut and shape, and no need for a router on the sides, it is thin enough that a little hand sanding quickly rounds off the perimeter edges, so one less shop tool needed.

P7063771 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Towards that everyman objective of least tools and easily available materials construction I didn’t lay any fiberglass on the tops, just epoxy resin and top coats of Spar Urethane. With three or four coats of Spar Urethane built up the epoxy resin could be skipped for an inexpensive materials-at-any -Home Depot build.

I cut, shaped and sanded the tabletop halves. Two coats of epoxy resin on the tops and bottoms, more on the edges. While I was at it I epoxy coated the leftover birch plywood scrap with the epoxy left in the rollers, for use as a future test painting and top coating experimental piece.

P7063776 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

P7063775 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Before the bottom coat of epoxy went on I cut hinge-side butted end “stiffeners” for each piece from 1 ½ inch wide x 3/8 inch thick Home Depot trim wood. I think that extra depth helps the hinged tops lay flat when opened; ¼ inch thick birch ply doesn’t leave much butt end, nor enough wood depth for screwing in the Home Depot brass hinges.

I added side overhang stiffeners as well. They may be superfluous for added rigidity, but those small wood stiffeners replace the previous solution of a fugly minicel donut used to keep the tabletop centered on the barrel lid.

P7073781 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Three stiffeners on each half of the folding tabletops. Six per top. Twelve total for two tops. Math really is not my strong suit; I only cut 10 and had to whip up two more just when I thought I was done making dust. And had already put everything away.

I do love G-5 (5-Minute G/flex) for that kind of hold in place application. I glued and seated the stiffeners and in minutes they were tightly adhered and I could roll epoxy resin on the bottoms. BTW, G-5 five minutes epoxy in summer heat = G-3.5 epoxy. I mixed a half thimble sized amount and it went gummy in the plastic shot glass pot before I could paint it on. Time to turn on the shop AC.

P7073777 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I am still figuring out the construction of these folding tabletops. One thing have oopsie I learned is to temporarily tape the two halves together before gluing on the butted hinge stiffeners, so the two glued down pieces are pressed tightly together at the split top halves. That taped tight together is even more important when drilling and installing the hinges.

P7073779 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Or if pattern painting the tops so any graphics align side to side (more on that later).

3.5 minutes later the stiffeners were epoxied in position, and I could roll a coat of epoxy on the bottoms and call it a day.

Day 2
What the heck, a second coat of epoxy on all sides. It’s freaking plywood and needed a good weather/water seal.

205 fast hardener again. Amine blush again like bacon skillet grease, despite running the shop AC for temperature and humidity control. That is the last West 205 I’ll ever buy.

Some days later
After a few days epoxy cure I removed the amine blush with soap and water Scotchbrite action, rinsed and dried. It’s really not that onerous a task, and I wash and wipe any West System, even slow 206, just to be sure. I’m gonna sand it, and then rinse off the dust anyway, so why not go ahead and wash it first.

Blush free, final epoxy coats sanded smooth, re-rinsed and on to graphics, experimenting with the previously epoxied scrap piece of leftover birch first; I didn’t want to screw up the partially built tabletops trying to paint on and then top coat graphics, and needed some reassurance that my strategic taping and top coating plans would work.

An 8x8 square chess/checkerboard pattern should be easy enough to tape out and spray paint on the barrel tops. Time to tape and test spray a bit of checkerboard on the epoxied scrap piece first.

P7093783 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

This is a test. This is only a test. In the event of a real screw up I would have had another beer and thought about what went wrong.

Drumroll please . . . . . . .Oh yell yeah, no paint lift on the test piece when I removed the 2d run of tape, and nice clean squares. That’ll do, aside from some smears on the clear wood squares from an initial Sharpie mis-dotting of which squares should be black.

P7093791 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Before moving on to crosshatch taping the 30 and 60L barrel lids I made two square templates. 192mm square for the 30L, 384mm square for the 60L. (Another good template use for old political yard signs)

P7093792 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

A small box pattern on the 30L barrel top first. Eight “rows” of 24mm wide painters tape gives me a 192 mm square, a wee little thing centered on the 30L top, but usable for river pebble vs acorn cap checkers. Lots of pretty wood grain left visible, including the unpainted “white” spaces on the board.

The 60L lid accommodated a larger chessboard made with wider painters tape.

With the square centered I pencil marked and tape boxed the perimeter, masked the rest of the exposed tabletop with newspaper, and laid down the first set of alternating rows, spray painted the Deep Slate Grey. Let that dry overnight and then taped & painted the alternate rows and let the spray paint cure for a couple days.

BTW “An 8x8 square chess/checkerboard pattern should be easy enough to tape out and spray paint” Easy for me to say, not so easy for me to do.

P7113797 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

A day later, and a day after that

The checkerboard patterns were done and dry. I added a thin red border on both chessboards for better definition. The reveal on pulling the tape and paper is always a mystery; what did I screw up where in my taping pattern?

P7133802 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

I had a couple missed taping connections on the grey squares and forgot to fully mask off the paper one side of the 60L board, resulting in some under spray oops. I fixed the former to some degree, and I had a decorative game board side edge solution to hide the latter.

P7133804 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Not a bad spray paint patch job. The unconnected grey squares now join up better and the corners of the red & green partner pair sides are at least sorta similar. I should have measured for that red and green edge trim instead of eyeballing.

The tape crosshatching is at about the limit of my ability to pay attention, especially when the tabletop becomes so covered with tape and paper that I forget exactly what coverage pattern I was going for.

Red border around the chessboards for definition, red & green partner pairs around the big 60L game board to cover the under spray oops, all using leftover spray paints. Time to walk away from diddling with those sprayed tops for a while.

The spray paint pattern on the epoxied scrap piece had had a day+ to dry and served its next test function, the top coating over enamel spray paint experiments; one side rolled and tipped with spar urethane, the other coated with clear enamel spray . . . . . . and I waited for the next day’s gatoring/smearing/incompatibility test results.

Top coating results: Little to no difference. The rolled and tipped spar urethane looked good, the clear enamel spray had a couple tiny fisheye dimples from shop dust or contaminates.

I’d much rather use the cheaper and simpler roll on/tip out urethane and can alternate rolling top, bottom and top again for multiple coats with less wait time than enamel spray. Helmsman Spar Urethane top coat it is.

And another couple days on

Most of those couple days and couple days later were waiting for epoxy to cure or paint to dry, so part of the build fun is that it’s an hour here today and an hour there tomorrow. It was finally time to roll and tip Helmsman Spar Urethane top and bottom. After a light sanding.

The scrap test piece came in handy again for sanding experiments. The 1[SUP]st[/SUP] coat of urethane top coat on that test board, despite being slathered on thick, proved to be a micron thin; even using a fast, light-touch pass with an RO sander and worn out 220 paper I quickly cut into the paint. I wet sanded the test piece by hand with 600, and even that needed a light touch lest I scuff into the test pattern.

P7163807 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

That made me wonder how thick a top coat of Helmsman urethane I have actually achieved in the past, even using a couple coats, given that I sand the urethane with 220 before before recoating, or wet sand vigorously before a final coat

I’m thinking at least 3 coats of urethane on the painted tops, lightly 600 wet sanded between coats. Same for other spar urethane coated projects; no more RO sander and 220. I may have been taking off dang near everything I put on.

Another day, another wet sanding, another coat of urethane. To paraphrase America’s first hippie (Benjamin Franklin) “Time like a petal in the wind flows softly as I wet sand and recoat, wet sand and recoat”

Several coats of Spar Urethane, wet sanded in between later

Hinges and Velco restraint straps for the barrel handles installed. 11 inch double sided Velcro straps with 1 inch at each end folded over and G/flex’ed together to form a pull tab. Screw hole melted at the 4 – 8 inch mark.

P7203808 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

P7203810 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

P7203813 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Finished and ready for a shop trial. This is the moment of truth. Is the ¼ inch birch plywood stiff enough to support some edge weight? The no-center-weight acid test meets with my approval.

P7203814 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Yes, the bar is open.

And what do they weight? Some previous finished weights:

Mark I 30 L barrel top, plywood and lauan weighs in at 3 lbs 8 oz
(Mark II was the somewhat unsatisfactory Coroplast experiment)
Mark III 30 L barrel top, ½ inch birch plywood, weighs 2 lbs 12 oz.
Mark III 60L barrel top, ½ inch birch plywood, weighs 4 lbs 9 oz.
Mark IV kevlar foam board 30L tabletop weighs in at 1 lb 2 oz.

Drum roll please. . . . . .Mark V:
¼ inch birch 30L tabletop = 1 lb, 11 oz
¼ inch birch 60L tabletop = 2 lb, 7 oz.

I can live with that. Checker and chess pieces extra.

P7203821 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Let the games begin.

P7203817 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Final touch. Y’all know how much I like High Intensity reflective tape. Want to find your way back to camp after a night paddle? Just prop this up along the camp landing and scan for it with a flashlight.

P7213822 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Quite the Evolution ! Love the Checker Board, but loose the hinges.

Either put them on the bottom side, or inlet them ! I'd be racking my knuckles on them, every time I Kinged you ! ;)

Marketable though !

Jim

Quite the Evolution ! Love the Checker Board, but loose the hinges.

Either put them on the bottom side, or inlet them ! I'd be racking my knuckles on them, every time I Kinged you ! ;)

I can’t hinge the bottoms of the tops might fold ^ when they had some weight on the edges. Inlaid hinges are beyond my pay grade and I would surely screw up. I’ll bring a box of band aids when we play checkers.

Mistakes, I’ve made a few (I’ve paid my dues, time after time, I’ve done my sentence, but committed no crime. . . . .)

Freaking fast hardener amine blush again. The West System 206 slow hardener arrived in time not to repeat that mistake next time

Some chessboard squares didn’t quite line up and needed spray paint fixing. Pencil mark a grid next time dummy.

I tried to spray paint fix those mis-alignments, making some of them worse. Kinda like continuing to screw fiddling with fresh epoxy coats until you realize you are doing more harm than good. Know when to walk away next time.

I did a bad papering job on the 60L barrel (missed one paper edge tape) and left a visible underspray edge of slate grey. Covered with “partner-pairs” side stripes of red and green, which the family votes for on future tops. Pay attention next time.

The partner-pair side stripes were roughly eyeballed and not even close to matching at the corner intersections. Spray paint fixed as best I could. Measure next time.

I stupidly used up a leftover supply short-nap “fuzzy” rollers for the first bottom coat of urethane. Drips, sags, puddles, mostly crept under the edges and onto the painted top surface. I can’t aggressively sand there and used a fine file to at least flatten the drips out. Cloth nap rollers never again, only foam next time and from now on.

I even more stupidly mis-measured the needed length on one set of bottom stiffeners. The side stiffeners on the 30L were too long and the tabletop didn’t seat on the lid properly. Chiseled off and re-cut. That was dishearteningly unmeasured stupid, but meh, that one is DougD’s. See measure twice, or at least once next time.

I ran short on quality, clean-edge painters tape and resorted to half used roll of cheap stuff from the miscellaneous tape box. Some spray paint creep under the edges reminded me why I chucked that cheap stuff in the box half used. Use good quality painter’s tape next time.

Only after I rolled out a first coat of urethane did I find a couple little scraps of (transparent) Scotch tape that I had used to hold down the paper mask. Underneath that 1[SUP]st[/SUP] layer of urethane. Some delicate razor blade work removed them. Pay attention next time.

In a very belated discovery, on the last two tops only, I experimented and put the reflective tape under the last couple coats of urethane. Still very reflective, but now top coat protected.

I should have custom rounded off the ends of the tabletop stiffeners before sanding the beveled edges. The tabletops are (mostly) round, the barrel lid is round. . . . . .the stiffener pieces were all cut square ended. Also next time

Biggest mistake. I could have cut the 30L tops an inch larger all around and they would still fit inside the barrel. The Mark 1 was made from 18 x 20 inch scraps of plywood. I liked the shape and continued to replicate it, not thinking I could make it as large as possible to still fit a 30L barrel.

How one guy could screw up that many things, especially have built four of these before, is a good question. Seriously, this is the guy Alan and Jim are encouraging to build a canoe? WTF are you guys thinking?

Genius in the making (I'm sure there's another Mk VI and VII on the way as I type). Bar top, chess/checker board, card table and breakfast buffet all in one. Oooooohhh, but no crokinole!

I’’ve not made the last of those folding tabletops yet.

"I’ve not made the last of those folding tabletops yet."

Phew!! Good thing we haven't discussed my love of billiards. But what I's really like to see is a dart board.

Phew!! Good thing we haven't discussed my love of billiards. But what I's really like to see is a dart board.

I was thinking of using one half-folded into a barreltop L, so it had a backstop for one of these.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cra...=n4GIWdbgKaeijwT7y5OYCQ#imgrc=1o4eq2PC9Qtf7M:

Seven come eleven, Daddy needs a new pair of Mukluks.

About the “next time” improvements. Next time is already last time.

I could see every little miscue and technique that would have made this easier, and a couple of future design/build improvements. Two more tops were cheap fun to build; all I needed was another half sheet of ¼ inch birch plywood, I had everything else in leftovers. And I had a fresh cans of West 105 and 206.

I have not contributed anything to the past Canoe Tripping raffles, and I’d be proud to have a CT’er using a custom blue barrel folding tabletop/gameboard, if that is agreeable to Robin.

Another half sheet of ¼ inch birch plywood and raffle tops number 7 and 8 were complete, including chessboard centers. I (and the whole family) like the chessboard pattern, and while I was at crosshatch taping numbers 7 and 8 I taped up the other Plain Jane tops I had previously made and not yet given to friends.

A couple for barrel using friends. A 60L for us on family trips. The original 30L heavyweight Mark 1 for me, with some custom decoupage under the spar urethane. And a couple of the improved technique Mark 5.1’s for the next Canoe Tripping raffle.

P8033834 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

That’s a lot of folding barrel lid game boards for a guy who only has a couple of barrel using friends left unprovided. Hey Brad, those tops are laid out on a billiard table. Stop by some time; loser cleans the shop.

BTW, the red and green reflective tape is near color matching to the red and green paint, and is ungaudy invisible unless hit with a flashlight or camera strobe.

The only friend not receiving a custom chessboard top is Willie, who already has his unadorned Mark III 30L tabletop. I want to see what he can do with some crazy taping scheme of his own. Willie is a Grand Master on the Parcheesi Senior Circuit; that taping job should be a walk in the park for someone with his mad skills.

https://www.google.com/search?q=par...=lx96WZKJNcbs-QH5sJ64BA#imgrc=cOxWGunERQWLNM:

Hey Mike, really nice work and really nice of you to take the time to share the thoughtful tutorial.

PS - seems like the crokinole and dart board requests could be combined by a creative designer :)

Some of them look like there would be room to add a cribbage board along one side.

seems like the crokinole and dart board requests could be combined by a creative designer :)

Y’all be wanting to drill holes or throw darts at my pfood prep area. If a couple of those blue barrel folding tabletops become Canoe Tripping raffle selections you may have your chance. At least you won’t be throwing darts at G-G-Great Grandpa Ebby.

Mark 1 decoupage

There is a story behind the Mark 1 decoupage. Laid under multiple coats of urethane is the last of the original Duckhead stickers, and a copy of the last known photograph of Ebenezer Hamilton McCrea (1817 – 1863). The latter is a story best told at a campfire with some pass around bourbon. It is a story. Or maybe it is a story.

P8033847 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

OK, part of that decoupage backstory is that I screwed up (imagine that), and sanded a 10 x 10 inch square sized for the chessboard pattern, and the red perimeter border. And then forgot about the red border and taped up and painted the chessboard pattern starting in one corner of that square. Wabi-sabi, er I meant to do that off kilter design so I had space left for some history decoupage.

P8033836 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

The J-hooks are for a small hanging mesh trash bag. No Jim, I do not know why there are four brass hinges on that 1[SUP]st[/SUP] build. I’ll bring some calfskin gloves for you.

I already have some sentimental past-use attachment to that Mark 1 folding tabletop and it will be nice to get Ebenezer (Ebby) out afloat in a boat again and share his tale. I can’t see giving that heaviest, crudest Mark 1 version to someone else, especially now that I have nearly perfected the design. Plus that top now has at least 6 coats of urethane rolled and tipped. It has some depth to it and reminds me of a well polished bar. The Mark 1 is mine.

The Plain Jane UL kevlar foam board tabletop needed a game. I can’t do a chessboard with that offset triple layer of black duct tape hinge (which won’t scrape Jim’s tender knuckles) laid down the middle. What type of gameboard is two sided? Maybe with quadrants? Like a Home Board and an Outer board on opposite sides . . . . . .

P8043848 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Gawd, that taping and painting job was at the limit of my abilities. Beyond actually, I missed and messed up a dozen times, starting with the hinge fold in the wrong orientation and ending with mis-aligning one, and then each subsequent row. And I was, for the most part, sober.

I don’t play Backgammon and should have found a board to study firsthand. The backgammon top became more gaudily colorful as I continued taping and painting to cover a myrid of oops-undersprays, errant pencil lines and taping mistakes.

I’m not sure how you play backwoods backgammon. Maybe like backwoods checkers; acorn caps vs pebbles. Bring your own dice.

I am beginning to think a pair of dice could be an awesome wind-bound, kill-time tiny addition to the essentials bag.

Spar Urethane Days

I got smarter this time around about using up foam rollers and tip out brushes, and rolled out the spar urethane on five tabletops at once. I also got smarter about wasting the urethane dregs left in the pan and on the roller as well, and set out a residual urethane repository.

I had wanted to varnish or urethane the wood box that lives in the mud room; an attractive if overbuilt sturdy box, covered in lauan with corner moldings and brass end caps. But I hadn’t wanted to “waste” varnish or urethane on just that firewood receptacle. It was the perfect surface to have ready sanded to accept leftover urethane. Kinda like having some secondary use for leftover epoxy (my favorite epoxy leftover use = sawhorse feet).

In for a penny, in for another can of spar urethane. What I had left wasn’t going to finish all 5 tops in multiple coats, much less cover the wood box. Once I had a fresh can of urethane I could be less sparing and coat the wood box properly. At $16 a quart there was no reason to skimp while I was using up rollers and brushes.

I managed to get three coats on the wood box while I was coating the tabletops, the last one sanded and tipped out. The Missus then saw it, after day three on sawhorses in the shop, and said “You know, it’s just a wood box”

P8033832 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

To which I (didn’t) reply “Yeah, but I built it, and now that I’ve moved it to the shop and started with the urethane. I’m gonna make it look as good as I can, cause I’m not doing this again”

Screw it then, I’m gonna roll out the inside and bottom as well. Neener neener.

BTW, that now awesome looking wood box lives in the mudroom year round. When we aren’t using it for upright and overstacked for firewood it sits open end front on, and provides lots of storage area on top and underneath.

P8043849 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

(I'm sure there's another Mk VI and VII on the way as I type).

For the Mark VI versions I’m thinking custom stains, and striped tabletop graphics with romanticized names. The Brûlé. The Nessmuk. The Mason and the Jacobson.

$350 at the Best Made Store and I can kick start the whole CanoeSexual fad. Accessories and beard oil sold separately.

When the fad passes in a couple years (un)used canoes will be a dime a dozen.in hipster metro areas, along with accessory decorations like paddles, waxed canvas and even pre-stained wannigan tump lines.

No used roof racks, those boats having been used solely as loft displays. OK, there may be a sudden spike in Uber drivers with roof racks. Ohhh, there’s an app idea for parading around the city in full plumage display.

Taping the gameboard patterns

Someone asked how, and Willie needs to work on a gameboard for his blank-canvas 30L top at SlackerBoatworx.

Taping the chess board pattern is not that hard. I used (in Imperial terms) 1 inch, 1 ½ inch and 2 inch (leftover) painter’s tapes to do the crosshatching on various boards. Caveat: The wider the tape the more difficult it was to get the intersecting grid squares properly aligned.

This is a good use for old spray paints, which do eventually go bad in the half used can, and for leftover painters tape. I did buy another roll of painter’s tape; good quality clean release tape makes a difference.

P7113801 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

For the chessboards I just pencil marked a centered square, boxed that in with perimeter tape and laid the first four-by-four rows of squares to be painted.

P7103794 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Next day I removed that crosshatch of tape and applied a second alternating tape job, covering yesterday’s sprayed squares to paint the rest of the colored grid, leaving the unpainted wood as “white” squares.

On the proof of concept test piece that taping & spraying went from first painted row

P7093787 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

(The little Sharpie dots mark the squares to be painted next, so I didn’t screw up the alternate taping. Um, er, OK, I did start off by marking some Sharpie dots in the wrong squares. “Sure, you can build your own canoe Mike”. Bwahahaha)

To the second alternate painted row.

P7093790 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Yes, that seemingly simple tape job was confusing to me, even after considerable practice when taping the 6[SUP]th[/SUP] and 7[SUP]th[/SUP] tops. BTW, it really helps to leave folded tab ends on the tape. And, more importantly, it really, really helps lay the tape in a consistent pattern, so that after painting you are pulling the last tape applied first. I did fine job on leaving tabs, not so great on removing the tape in the correct order.

BTW, there is a simple trick to aligning those second, alternating rows of taping, a trick that, as a test of his memory, I have shared only with Willie.

The perimeter definition for the chessboard pattern is easier.

P7113799 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

dang, look at that ugly grey underspray where I didn’t tape down the last bit of paper mask. I think I walked away prematurely when the phone rang, forgot the last run of tape and had to fix that. Fortuitously, I really liked the red/green perimeter edging correction.

The backgammon board was more of a challenge, especially for a guy confused by simple right angles.

P7253823 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

What the heck did I mismeasure? Too late now. It came out OK in the end, just a little wanky.

P8043848 by Mike McCrea, on Flickr

Thanks for all the details for making these great table tops. I am making just a plain jane one for my ice fishing pack basket. Should be just the thing I need to hold my coffee or tea while waiting for the elusive bite.
I am also looking forward to the fundraiser and submitting my funds, I am holding off on a barrel buy until I see how the drawing pans out for me.

That family portrait sure touched a sentimental nerve with this sentimental old fool. Nice one Mike. My next suggestion/demand is to see an old timey type of board game like chess, with b&w family photos gracing the perimeter. Might need to add a little faux patina to help the instant historical time machine along; playing amongst the friendly ghosts of players past.

I'm waiting for an update on my folding snooker table. That's a table that would take many many folds. (11' 8.5" x 5' 10")
One midwinter's evening a good friend of mine suggested we trudge through the snow banks of Montreal to find a pool hall to while away a few hours. We both were regulars at a bar with an 8-ball billiard table, and so fancied ourselves "skilled". He remembered an old friend of his who resided in a den of inequity in the dark bowels of the city side streets. After a quick phone call and a late night walk we arrived. An inconspicuous unmarked door with no streetlight in sight set my nerves on edge, but I thought "let's do this anyway". We descended down a dark flight of stairs to a room of mystery. A thick smog of cigar smoke hung from ceiling to eye level, and there was a somber silence enveloping the room. The old friend appeared from the shadows and we spoke in whispers. "Hey mon chum! Ca va?" "Oui, pas pire, pas pire." Cigars were passed and tumblers of whisky were set quietly on side tables. There were only snooker tables in this establishment, nothing smaller, and the room looked like we were standing in the pitch dark with large islands of green felt floating off the floor, hovering at hip height waiting patiently for the click of balls and scratch of chalk. It might've been a private club, I don't know, or maybe just a more refined billiard hall than I had ever been in. It was a privilege to spend a few hours talking in hushed conversation, savouring cigars and Scotch, pitting our hand-eye coordination against the impossible miles of straight shots stretching out ahead of us. Enjoyable but humbling. No "Two band cross side." on this table. Those balls looked like marbles from 10 feet away. Later we stepped from the warmth into the cold and followed a path beaten into the deep snowy sidewalks to a nearby apartment, where we congratulated ourselves for not having clattered our cues or scratched the felt. I do wish I'd pocketed a chalk as a souvenir.
On second thought, maybe a ping pong table would be easier Mike, but it would never equal the refined civility of a snooker table; cigars, whisky and whispered tales under the Northern Cross well past midnight. Who's shot is it?

Last edited:
On second thought, maybe a ping pong table would be easier Mike.

Easier to make and more appropriately sized for a barrel top would be a Carroms table.

https://www.google.com/search?q=car...i=KG6UWY3kLMaGjwTl5beADQ#imgrc=MD7m6PGixjHgRM:

I played a lot of Carroms as a kid, usually shooting with a finger flick rather than the dowel cue, and we still have a Carroms board in the game closet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrom

As a backwoods pocket-billiards game Carroms could be played as pick your own river pebbles strikers and carom men and whittle your own found wood cue. The corner pockets could be used as beverage holders or trash receptacles, and could easily be made from defunct camp chair beverage pockets.

Dammit Brad, just when I thought I was done making tabletops.

BTW, on car camper trips we used to bring the crude necessities for ping pong. Real paddles and balls, and a length of 2x4 to place across the picnic table as a “net”. You get some really weird bounces off uneven picnic table boards and carriage bolt heads (and off a 2x4 net), but that’s part of the game.

The better parts of campground ping pong is that the ball never rolls under the couch, and it’s a good way to get to know your camp neighbors when they obviously want to play.

Well Mike, I never said the folding snooker table Mk1 had to be perfect.
You also failed to mention the playful and whimsical wind in outdoor ping pong. The merest breath of a breeze can add twists and turns to the flight path of a ping pong ball. Loads of fun. A childhood friend and I would play under an apple tree in his yard, first setting the table as near to perpendicular to the wind direction to make all things fair. We laughed ourselves silly at the wild and unpredictable ball movements just as we'd set up for a "smash". It's like the ball has a mind of it's own under those conditions. When the grippy rubber wore off the old paddles we'd glue fine sandpaper on them. We also had to keep Blackie his dog indoors, otherwise she'd fetch but not retrieve every ball within her reach. Slobbery balls don't bounce quite as well. And then of course every once in awhile one of us would fire a high shot straight at our opponent just to hear the smack of ball on skin. That was always worth the loss of serve. lol
Oh the games people play.

ps . I don't expect you to use real slate under the snooker table felt Mike. Might be a tad heavy to portage.

That family portrait sure touched a sentimental nerve with this sentimental old fool. Nice one Mike.

dang it Brad, after touching the nerve of a sentimental old fool(ed) I need to fess up. I left some hints.

There is a story behind the Mark 1 decoupage. Laid under multiple coats of urethane is the last of the original Duckhead stickers, and a copy of the last known photograph of Ebenezer Hamilton McCrea (1817 – 1863). The latter is a story best told at a campfire with some pass around bourbon. It is a story. Or maybe it is a story. .

That is actually a photo of Herman Haupt, on a pontoon boat of his own design, inspecting bridges during the Civil War. Haupt (no relation) was a West Point Grad engineer and railroad expert.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herman_Haupt

But if anyone asks about that photo on a trip he will be Ebenezer Hamilton McCrea, his backstory and tragic death (he had yet to discover the double blade, and was trapped mid-river spinning in circles with his silly single blade oar mid-bombardment. . . . . . and that’s why all of the McCrea men ever have since used double blades) will be dependent on how much beer and bourbon has flowed.

https://www.google.com/search?q=her...i=N4KUWY2XAqOPjwSPypbYBQ#imgrc=lBxHlsFYRKZXdM:

Dammit Mike I missed the hints. I owe you a tip of the hat, and you owe me a pull from that bourbon of yours.
Embroidering those stories will be fun, especially if you can back them up with more photographic "proof".

Okay, I suppose we don't need all 6 snooker pockets.

Last edited:
Back