• Happy "Killer Rabbit" Attacks President Carter in His Paddle Boat (1979)! 🚣🏼‍♂️🐇

J Winters "Kite" build

Thank you all for the accolades...
Mem, of course I'm going to use it this season, I'm doing a manly day trip with my son this weekend.

Here's a photo of the red Kite with me in it, sans the new paint job. It's unusual to get me in the photo, I'm almost always behind the lens, not in front of it!
(Oh, and no, those guns have not been photoshopped...actually, I continue to fade away)

DSC_4582.JPG

That is one foxy looking boat. Looks great with the now opaque paint job and the red and black go great together. How about some pics of that new seat support?

So you're planning to remove the original seat cleats that were epoxied to the hull? I'm wondering how you'll do that.....

Alan

That is one foxy looking boat. Looks great with the now opaque paint job and the red and black go great together. How about some pics of that new seat support?

So you're planning to remove the original seat cleats that were epoxied to the hull? I'm wondering how you'll do that.....

Alan

Uhmm, me too! Actually, it shouldn't be too hard, just messy. Those cleats are single layer carbon fiber over foam, quite strong but easily sliced with a utility knife. Tricky part will be to remove the carbon from the glass, I have a few tools that are handy for that. I'll try to avoid grinding and power sanding, the carbon mini shards get everywhere...all over the shop, in my pores, etc.

Seat supports shown below, epoxied in place, then finished. MDB says she doesn't like them, but I am seduced by the functionality and multiple leg positions they allow. Once I have a non-wooden seat, the supports will look right at home.

DSC_4614.JPG

DSC_4621.JPG

MDB says she doesn't like them, but I am seduced by the functionality and multiple leg positions they allow.

I think the supports look great. Functional is sexy.

How tall? How far apart are they? Can you kneel around them?

Alan

I put the top of the seat supports 8 inches above the bottom of the hull, 11 or 12 inches apart (didn't measure, just positioned to work with existing seat frame).
I can tuck one or both feet under me when sitting, with some effort. It's kind of a tight fit, but I am comforted by the fact that if I capsize (who ever does that!?;)) the seat can pop free from the 3m Dual Lock, no entrapment, no gouged ankles. Oh, and I can lift the entire boat by the seat frame, the Dual Lock is that strong.
I can also kneel and heel, with a leg on each side of a single support.
And, a hidden benefit that I realized last week while crossing 27 beaver dams...when I want to breach a dam, I scoot aft to unload the bow, which is pretty easy, lifting my legs as I hold the gunnels. But after dragging over a dam, I then climb forward to step on the dam, and eventually weight the bow. That's where the hidden benefit appears. Moving back forward is much easier with no obstructions on the sides of the seat!!

BTW, those supports were inspired by your solo expedition build! Even an old dog like me can learn new tricks.

How is this boat today. It is a real good looker. Your inspiration lives on. Thanks

Thanks, Mr Ripple
The Red Kite mostly stays inside a 48 ft box trailer that MDB and I bought to hold excess stuff while we built out new house.
I built a lighter weight, but not as pretty, carbon copy of that boat, so the Red Kite is somewhat orphaned.
I loaned it to a buddy last summer for over a month, he was so pleased with the performance that he’s preparing to build one of his own. Of course I’ll be helping him, he just bought his cedar.
Overall, it’s a great hull for combined flat and white water, very comfortable, stable and a dry ride. Best of all, there’s no stern hook, so quartering following winds are not a problem.
The hull is still in great shape, despite my total disregard for it. Carbon over foam gunnels survive car racks nicely too.

You're passion has great depth. I have purchased the plans, and am presently making stems. I would never make a boat as quick as you. And I admire that. Iam thinking of getting wood pre cut from Noah's. The forms I cut myself. You are right when you equate this to a piece by piece planing process. I know its been years, but thanks

Thanks, man.
Half of the reason why I post build threads is to inspire others to build their own boats.
The other half reason is to demystify the strip building process.
If you lack some tooling to cut your own strips, Jim Dodd’s skilsaw technique works well.

And you know you’re gonna HAVE to do a build thread of your own!

Back