• Happy Launch of Lewis & Clark Expedition (1804)! 🧭🏞🏞️

Carbon Fibre Straight Shaft Paddles

Reaction score
Now that Alan got me hooked on light weight paddles, I'm looking for something similar in a straight shaft. Any suggestions? This is new territory for me, I'm a newb in the carbon fibre realm. Looking for straight shaft, 54 ", something that can be found in Canada.

I've got a couple ZRE straight shafts. The "rec" models are only slightly heavier and supposedly a little tougher. They're cheaper too. It's what I use for straight blades. They also have a whitewater layup. I've always bought blems at a discount. 12 degree bend is their standard so you have to pay a little extra to get a straight or any other angle you want.

I'd recommend against the plastic grip. I got one and it's a little smaller than the carbon grips. Small enough that it isn't all that comfortable. I also bought a straight shaft with the wooden T-grip. I'm not all that enthused about it either. I think that's more personal preference than design problem. I'd either stick with the carbon grip or see if you can order one without the grip and make your own from wood.

I'm sure they ship to Canada all the time but don't know how expensive it would be. There was some Canadian builder Canotrouge mentioned in another post but I can't remember who they were or if they build straights.

I'm pretty sure Wenonah builds a straight carbon and other manufacturer's as well but ZRE is the only one I have any experience with.

I'd feel bad about making you spend all this money on paddles but currently I'm driving around with 5 ZRE paddles in the back of my car. The first one is the only one that seems really expensive.....

Alan

I have a zre straight,but I prefer the bending branches expresso plus straight. It's almost as lite,and feels better in the water. Way prettier too.
MY2cents,Turtle

ZRE power surge, and Harold Deal's whitewater paddle are nice. Also Millbrook canoes has a new light weight paddle, and Shaggy Designs in the Ottawa Valley.

The guy in canada is Levasseur of Levass paddles, but I don't think he makes straight. But for a bent shaft it is way better than a ZRE in both the paddling characteristics and toughness they are all 7oz!!

http://www.norsepaddles.com/product.php?id=21

Also, I bet you can get a paddle from Gene Newman designs grasse river boat works
Yike I have a Norse whitewater paddle and this one looks like a heavy son of a gun too.

Shaggy Designs is new to me but that grip looks awkward.

I'd go with ZRE. Even the Dog Paddle I use is 19 oz( the lightest wood paddle I have) and its funny you can tell the difference. Anything over 20 oz ; why not wood?

GRB Newman only seems to do bent shaft http://www.grbnewmandesigns.com/#!paddles-and-accessories/cfvg

Looked at the weights on some of those paddles, they are coming in around 28 ounces, which is the same weight for a mid range wooden paddle. I will have to see if I can find a retailer for Zav's, although with the Canadian dollar in the tank, gonna be expensive!

If it helps I'd be happy to smuggle one or two over the boarder when I come up later this summer. I could ship them from Red Lake.

Alan

I second what Madmike said - Gene and John Newman have made several paddles for me. All 6 of them in different size bent shaft carbon for racing, but I'm sure they could just as easily make one straight in any weight you want. They are practically a stone's throw from Canada, just over the bridge not far from Ogdensburg NY.

http://www.grbnewmandesigns.com/

Last edited:
Don't confuse the Millbrook with the heavy Norse paddles of the past....
No I realize its not the club I have but still relatively heavy compared to light wood paddles you can get. Yet my lightest Dog is very discernible from my rec racing Zav
GRB might because they are in Canton(17 miles from Canada, my college town) ship from Prescott or Ottawa or have an arrangement to avoid delays at Customs.

Ya, I bought Irene one of those wood/carbon shaft paddles for christmas. It is quite light and tasty looking, but I'm not sure if that wood/carbon interface will hold up to my style of paddling. Two stores in T Bay carry paddles, and as of June 15, neither had anything decent. For a city in the heart of canoe land, the canoe store selections are woefully inadequate.

If you are a bit hard on gear, don't expect ZRE or even Levass to withstand the rigour of tripping.... Carbon doesn't mean tough, it means light and stiff...

I have a couple of Bending Branches Sunburst straight shaft in the small blade. I likey a lot!! 15 oz.

Back