• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Canoeing in paintings

Reaction score
I went to see the "American Impressionism: The Lure of the Artists' Colony" exhibit at the Mitchell Gallery at St. John's College in Annapolis, Md. today. Nice exhibit. It contained this painting by Frank Weston Benson - On Grand River. Thought those of here would appreciate it, and it could start a nice thread of paintings with canoes as subject or theme.

Attachments

• photo3981.jpeg
    photo3981.jpeg
    247.6 KB · Views: 0
Sounds like you had a good time and great idea to start a thread about canoes in art.

I tried to upload Tom Thomson: 'Canoe and Lake, Algonquin Park' but for some reason it didn't work. Here's a link:

tt22-tom-thomson-canoe-and-lake-algonquin-park-1913-oil-on-canvas.jpg

Winslow Homer sure did his share of paintings with canoe imagery also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an old canvas that is poorly done, with a solo paddler. I like it !

But It's funny, I go to a few household auctions, and I'm always on the look out for Canoe pictures, or paintings.

Great thread to start !

Jim

Nice pictures, I love canoe art and have some hanging in my shop. Most is about older canoes and times, which I enjoy.

images

Favorite artists? I like Jerry Stelmok and Reid Maclachlan's pencil sketches. I have learned alot about telling a story via paintings and am working on that in photography..to bring the subject.

Of course I take inspiration from the Group of Seven especially re Lake Superior.

Also a fan of Gil Gilpatricks woodburnings and Barbara Robertsons paintings of events at the Wooden Canoe Heritage Assn Assembly. She painted a class of mine on the water which is really beautiful and zen inducing.

No Title

This thread gives me a chance to try to solve a mystery. Last fall, I bought a print from a thrift shop. I don't like the frame and mat but really liked the print. Anyway, it came with no information. The only clue was the kinda' indistinct signature, which I can't savvy at all. I've included a close-up below.

Does anyone else recognize it?

My wife has given me two treasures...the B&W print of canoe detail by Canadian photographer Beth Wyatt and a print of Winslow Homer's "The Red Canoe" which hangs in a place of honor in the living room.

I also like vintage illustrations...anything by Phillip Goodwin and, for example, this calendar illustration "In Golden Hunting Grounds" by Hy. (Henry) Hintermeister, a Swiss-born Illustrator of a variety of topics in the 30's. It turned up in a box of stuff from my late mother-in-law.

Attachments

• photo3997.jpg
    photo3997.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3998.jpg
    photo3998.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo3999.jpg
    photo3999.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4000.jpg
    photo4000.jpg
    326.3 KB · Views: 0
No Title

I've got a couple by Terry Redlin. And one by Philip R. Goodwin that just showed up today.

Attachments

• photo4020.jpg
    photo4020.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4021.jpg
    photo4021.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4022.jpg
    photo4022.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 0
I can see why Canoe Country is your pride and joy.
Beautiful and it capture a lot of being on the water and in wilderness.
I had not seen this Kouba painting before.
I am a Kouba fan especially since he was a Minnesota artist.
Thanks for sharing.

When paddling the Yukon River, many people will begin to see what they could swear are faces staring at them from the natural rock formations. Particularly during the Yukon River races, when non-stop paddling is done without a break for 24 hours or more at a stretch. My voyageur crew and I have spent many hours on each race picking out and naming different faces to pass the long hours of zoned-out paddling, some have become favorites that show up the same each time. In once case I saw a complete profile of Albert Einstein, complete in rumpled suit and wing tip shoes.

The high basalt cliff faces on river-right just below Fork Selkirk are particular striking with hundreds of faces, one after another stacked in rows, though they are really just dark spots in the jagged rock symbolizing eyes and a nose and maybe a mouth representing a face. But they are definitely there in their natural state, caricatures and cartoon-like. In other places large 200 foot tall "hoodoos" of weathering gravel formations might depict old-time loggers with scruffy beards wearing toques. Funny thing is, when you later view a photograph of these same things, you have to stretch your imagination to see what was so vividly visible when you were on the river.

When I visited an art gallery in Dawson city, I saw this print "Solo" by Nathalie Parenteau, and found a passage describing Nathalie written by Sylvie Painchaud.
The passage: “
Recently, a man bought my painting titled Solo because he was amazed at how closely the work reflected his own experience.” After paddling the Yukon River for several days, he arrived in Dawson completely exhausted - so much so that he hallucinated during the last kilometres of his trip. Imagine his surprise when he saw Solo, which depicts a faceless paddler in a canyon of strange rock faces under the watchful gaze of the moon.

If you visit Parenteau’s studio or a gallery where her paintings are on sale, be warned. It is liable to be an emotional experience. This is one of the magical things about the Yukon.

That man with hallucinations could well have been me, a sleep deprived faceless paddler in a canyon of strange rock faces. It goes without saying that I now have a copy of that print hanging in my home. Once the Yukon gets in your blood, it never leaves.

0WZmiGk.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a couple by Terry Redlin. And one by Philip R. Goodwin that just showed up today.

Thanks for posting the "Morning Solitude" By Terry Redlin. I first saw that painting when I was a Caregiver. I could not leave house during this time and I spent many hours looking at pictures of canoes. Morning Solitude caught my eye as the dog in the painting reminded me of my vizsla, and I imagined myself in the painting, away from the sadness of what I was going through. My family later bought me a small print and coffee mug with that painting on it. I cherish them and I just know that is what my Heaven will be like.

Cary

Here's my Philip Goodwin, in my shop
DSC01737.JPG

here's a type of frame I'm going to make for my pictures in the shop, left over rough sawn pine. Maybe a little thinner, bigger, with some aging, and better corners for the finished product

DSC01738.JPG

I never was aware of the art of Nathalie Parenteau. She has a page of prints for sale.. some very reasonably priced. I have been looking at them for an hour and remembering.
http://www.nathalieparenteau.com/gal...open-editions/

oh yes the faces. And the hoodoos on the Teslin. I wasn't sleepless from exhaustion. Just sleepless remembering those who lived there years ago and thinking that something was watching me. Fort Selkirk is an amazing place too. The past is so present.

No Title

I am partial to Hugh Grant woodcarvings.. And some prints

Attachments

• photo4029.jpg
    photo4029.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4030.jpg
    photo4030.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4033.jpg
    photo4033.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4032.jpg
    photo4032.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4031.jpg
    photo4031.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4034.jpg
    photo4034.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4035.JPG
    photo4035.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo4036.JPG
    photo4036.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 0
I never was aware of the art of Nathalie Parenteau. She has a page of prints for sale.. some very reasonably priced. I have been looking at them for an hour and remembering.
There are many to like. This one, "Canoeing the Northern Rivers" is similar to the other, but somehow different. I'll be back in the Yukon this summer, and will pick up a copy while I am there.

FOmXGfp.jpg

I think this one is entirely different in message. to me it seems that the natural world is afraid of what man might do. The former you posted has many more eyes, some suspicious, some knowing some judging. From my experience on the river and a couple of other Arctic Rivers you are never alone. Someone is always knowing about you whether by sight, air or "bush radio"

No Title

Picture Rock At Crooked Lake.
Francis Lee Jacques, 1947.
This is my favorite from when I first started canoeing.
There is a gallery of his work in Aitkin, Minnesota.

Attachments

• photo4052.jpeg
    photo4052.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 0
Nathalie is a friend of ours, her painting is definitely inspired from her long life up here!! The first one could well be of Mills Canyon just above town, when you paddle it you can see the faces in the stone walls!!

Back