• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Canoeing in paintings

Our home is largely decorated with paddling stuff. Some famous art canoe prints, both classics and modern. One of Orah Moore’s canoe prints.
http://www.art.com/gallery/id--a4331-b9375/orah-moore-canoes-posters.htm

Winslow Homer’s The Blue Boat, still one of my favorites.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...dTg0M&itg=1&usg=__FK9uuseoC8wkgltKwnEkr0sTC-s=

I always thought Nova Craft should replicate that famous Homer, using one of their Blue Steel hulls in a similar setting, down to the paddler garb and hats.

Lots of matted and framed photo enlargements from family trips past. I am a terrible photographer, but even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and again.

And a few oil on canvas paintings. Original oils that hold special meaning.

Our old Grumman, near an abandoned RR tressel over the Potomac. Painted by my father:

Painted from this trip photo:

Hiking the San Juans, also by my father.

More hiking, Titcombe Basin in the Wind Rivers. By my then teenage sister:

A river scene, painted by my grandfather. Sadly undated, but this and a companion oil of a river confluence hung in my bedrooms starting in the 50’s.

I did not inherit that artistic gene.

Thanks to the original poster for starting the thread with a painting by Frank Benson. Hadn't seen that particular one before. Some of Benson's sketches fetch a pretty penny at auction too.

This tiny one called Canoeman (sketch number 26 of 150) dated to 1919 reached $4 800...
F+Benson+-+Canoe+Man2.jpg

Canoeman, 1919
signed "Frank W. Benson" lower left
etching, 7 7/8 by 6 in.
numbered "26" lower right Paff # 161, edition 26 of 150
Estimate: $3,000 - $4,000
Lot closed - Winning bid:$4,800

Here's another by Ogden Pleissner called "The Rapids" (1938). Back in 2010 it set a new record at auction for sporting art...sold for $345 000!
2332_reshoot_1539x400.jpg

Source Link

There are some Winslow Homer marine paintings including the above on exhibition at the Portland Museum of Art. It was interesting yesterday to compare some of his work to the color in the live webcam the Museum has from his estate in Prouts Neck just outside of Portland.

Had a look at a bunch of his prints on ebay......I think the guy might single handedly be responsible for Bear-a-noia amongst canoeists. Seemed like every second painting involved a bear, a canoe and a prospector tent. Those prints were pretty cheap too, gonna order a few.

I've got a couple of those tin signs by Goodwin. I found two with canoes/without bears.
I like 'em.

Back