• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Canoe tripping footwear

Reaction score
What do you use and why? Have you found the perfect shoe/boot? If not what are you still looking for? Do you wet or dry foot?

I was hoping the New Balance Abyss boot was going to be my dream boot but unfortunately the quality seems to be sub-par. On my recent trip, after just a few days, some of the threads on the toe and instep had rubbed through and were starting to unravel. Thankfully they held together for the rest of the month but by the end of the trip were looking a bit tough and the sole was starting to come loose in a couple places. I'd still take this pair on a short trip (up to a week) but wouldn't trust them longer than that. I wouldn't trust a new pair on another 30 day trip.

Other than that they were perfect for my needs. They had great traction on wet and dry rock, were comfortable, and drained water very well. The high tops protected ankles from knocks and abrasions when wading through rocks and kept sand/small rocks from washing into the boot. While I wouldn't call them lightweight they weren't like a bulky and stiff hiking boot either, which I liked very much as they were still flexible. Having the high tops also kept them from being sucked off on some of mucky portages.

I'm having a hard time finding anything similar that's of better quality. The military jungle boots look promising but a little Googling last night finds many people are unsatisfied with the quality of the current crop of those with some catastrophic failures.

Link to Abyss boots: http://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-Abyss-II-Tactical/dp/B00C66CTDC

Alan

I wet foot and kneel. Yep I am good in the footwear dept.
Cold water its drysuit and goretex socks and neoprene booties Or Chota ( mukluk)boots that are waterproof.
Warm weather I wear Merrell Maipo canyoneering shoes They have Kevlar cord locked laces so are not at all prone to being sucked off in mud. I like a flexible sole that I can feel the ground through and that I can kneel in the boat in without foot cramps. But I rarely carry over 50 lbs. I do insist on a Vibram sole ( but not aka a hiking boot.. which I do have ( Limners) but use for strictly hiking . Too heavy to kneel with and hard to swim int.

Such variation in where people go its better that people that canoe in the same area as you have the best answers.

One of the problems in using one shoe for a long time is that shoes aren't really built for constant wearing for a month.. I found the same happened to Salomon Techamphibians. The stitching came apart. Maybe I can blame China but New Balance is from here in Maine.

I'm a fan of the Bean Maine hunting boot, they are comfortable in the boat and keep you dry in the muck, or for getting in and out of the boat. I wore the 14 inch ones for years but only laced them to the anckles. They rarely got wet and if they did they dried fast. I brought extra insoles in case I got wet feet but never had to use them. You can also lace them tight around the tops so no muck and very little water gets in if you go down deep. I've had mine for almost 30 years and had them resoled twice and they need it again. They are also comfortable around camp with the laces left loose so you can wear them like pull ons, easy on and off for going in and out of the tent. The only bad thing I can say about them is that the weren't as waterproof after the resoleing where the rubber bottoms are sewn to the leather uppers. I could feel a trickle come in but couldn't say my feet got wet.

I don't care for having wet feet all day long. Dexshell Trecking Waterproof Socks with a pair of Keen Newport hiking sandals work for me - most of the year. I kneel almost all of the time and just slip the sandals off in the boat.

In colder water or areas I am considering Chota Hippies (probably overkill for me) or, something a bit less $$, like Kokatat 3L Launch Socks. The Launch socks are pretty sturdy, and you can wear under and over it pretty much whatever you like. [h=1][/h]

I'm with lowangle al, Bean Boots for the reasons he gave plus a few more. I use them snow shoeing, walking the dogs in rain, hiking in wet weather. Mine leak also where the leather meets the rubber, so I make an effort to avoid deep submersion's, but wet feet in August are not so much of a problem for me and wading through knee high rapids the norm.
At night I remove the insole and that helps them dry in the tent, fresh dry socks in the am if I think it's going to be a dry foot day, or else I just put the damp wool socks back on and stand close to the am fire.

I use them in late October for my canoe in deer hunt. I carry extra heavy socks and an extra bandana in case I get wet early in the morning, just wipe the inside dry and fresh socks will hold me over till I get back to the tent and the wood stove where they dry out quickly.

I would bring some "Snow Seal" on an extended trip and treat the leather when it shows dryness, I have no doubt they could go 30 days without failure for sure. I never even used to bring extra footwear but have since started bring a pair of low cut sneakers for evenings.

I also wear mine in the snow for active winter activities and they were great for mtn. biking in wet muddy conditions. I recently purchased a 10 inch pair as the 14 inch were a little overkill for most conditions. They just seem to fit in for those who are into leather and canvas.

I wetfoot, mostly sit but kneel occasionally. I had the same experience as Alan with the Abyss boot, I liked them but the stitching went. The next year I used a pair of five-ten water tennies. They were flexible and had great grip, and were reasonably supportive. They didn't last either - the rand on the outside of the forefoot is quite low, and rocky wading and bushwhacking abraded the nylon mesh above the rubber badly. They were worn through in 2 weeks. This year I used a pair of 5-10 canyoneer shoes and was very pleased with their grip and durability. I had no stitching issues and the rand was high enough to protect the fabric. They are somewhat stiffer than the water tennies, and perhaps not as suitable for kneeling.

Link to five ten water shoes:

https://fiveten.com/products/outdoor/water

Fit and comfort will obviously be key factors. Years ago I tried the Bean boots, but soon had to admit that Mr. Bean's feet and mine were just not the same shape.

-wjmc

Chota mukluks for me although I don't trust them to hold up. Mine are five years old and seem ok. But I'm just farting around in the BWCA for a week at a time, not some remote place for an extended period. If I was doing a extended trip I would look for something more bullet proof. Dave

While I wear bean boots also, a few years ago I watched a film called hunters of the missinabi where cree indians who virtually lived in there canoes wore rubber boots except in severly cold weather. I've adopted this and with wool socks that breath they are very practical. Northern boots make a green rubber boot with a lug tread that are comfortable and wear like iron.

tall ll bean maine hunting shoes with thick wool/acrylic liners...

started with 'nam boots 30 years ago, quickly moved to sneakers, converse canvas high-tops my fave, then later teva sandles in the 90's and for the past several seasons the bean boots...

I experiment every year. This past summer I tried an athletic type water shoe that performed well. I haven't really worn runners (some of you call them sneakers) since I was a kid; riding bikes, climbing trees, swimming in creeks, skipping stones and jumping out of hay lofts. Heck, if they stood up to all kinds of kid nonsense way back then they should be fine for canoe tripping...and they were. But I like the feel of boots, especially when wading and clambering over rocks and roots. I wore an old pair of casual leather boots this summer, and loved them. They didn't grip especially well on wet rocks, but were fine anywhere-everywhere else. They are uninsulated, so they dry well after a long wet foot day. I treat them with Snowseal or Dubbin. A dry warm pair of socks every morning, even in a dampish pair of light leather boots, feels like a million bucks when the coffee is perking and the boreal breeze is whispering through the treetops, calling you to get packed up and on the water for more canoe tripping travel.
PA021670.JPG

I find it interesting to see so many leather boots that are non-waterproof and non-draining. I'd always assumed if you went in over the top of the boot you'd end up with your feet slosh, slosh, sloshing around in trapped water for the next couple hours. If laced tight do they really keep the bulk of the water out? On quite a few occasions I found myself wading in knee/thigh/waste high water. If they fill up how long does it take them to drain? One thing I like about draining boots is with just a few seconds of holding my foot up before getting in the boat I can drain most of the water, which keeps it from collecting in the boat. Usually not a big deal but sometimes I'll get in and out multiple times before the gear is ever removed and the canoe inverted for portaging. It can build up.

Maybe I'll have to take my Wolverines for a swim one of these days and see what they feel like.

Alan

I never even used to bring extra footwear but have since started bring a pair of low cut sneakers for evenings.

That's the same thing I do. First thing when making camp was to put on those dry shoes and socks. A nice reward after a hard day. Mine were regular duty leather hiking shoes so that in case of the main boots failing they could be pushed into all day use.

Alan

I have a heck of a time with my feet. They're 5E wide, it's almost impossible to find footwear anywhere except in the Shire from the same guy Bilbo Baggins buys from. I have a pair of Merrells which actually sort of fit and dry amazingly quickly, but they have that dang vibram on the sole, so they are as slippery as a greased pig on anything wet. I'm convinced that I will never find good footwear. I broke down last week and ordered a pair of wolverine work boots, rated at extra wide....couldn't even get my foot in them.

In the fall, it's pretty much the universal green rubber boot with the felt liner. Anyone know why those boots always pull your socks off? In the summer I'm usually wearing a new balance sneaker, because NB is one of the only companies that realizes that some people have girthy feet.

I reserved my water shoe sneakers for dry camp wear. Very comfy. No socks meant that they were easy on and off around the tent. My leather boots were wet most of the day. They were laced tight enough for comfort but were never intended to keep my feet bone dry. No matter. I wouldn't canoe trip if I intended to stay perfectly dry 24/7. They never "filled up". Water permeated into them, but only so much as to have wet feet. If there was the odd time I'd want to wring out my socks and drain my boots it was no big deal to sit down at a take out and do so. No time schedule, no race. Just sit in the sun and dry out a little. My legs often get far wetter than my feet. On a long flat lake I'll unlace and kick off my boots to wriggle my toes and dry out in a long sunny paddle.
I get water in the canoe from stepping in. That's what my sponge is for. As my wife in the bow is first dipping her paddle I'm swiping the floor with my sponge. I toss her the sponge if she's got water swilling up front also. She usually tries to dry foot it, so there's not much water to fuss about.
What is good for me may only be good for me. But I won't regret feeling cold, wet, hot, dry, tired, dirty, muddy, stinky, silly, thirsty, hungry, sunburnt, windblown bewildered...until the day when I'm no longer able to feel the wild elements outdoors.

Last edited:
Until this year I had used the inexpensive water shoes from Crappy Tire for in the boat and portaging. I do have a pair of Colombia hikers I tried for one season but they fill up with water and slosh all day long and I never liked that. The cheapy water shoes I could easily drain and move on but I went through a pair a season and they were thin. This year I dropped a hundred on a pair of Keen water shoes and they have done well for the 3 trips this year. Our third trip was not canoeing, but in a boat but I still wore them for the comfort factor. I have heard that Keen's too have stitching failures so I will see next year if that happens. Mostly good things, they drain very well, are good on ports or wading and are comfy all day in the boat. If I could get them, I would go for Baffin water shoes, (http://www.baffin.com/product-p/sprtw001.htm) but I cannot get my hands on them so would need to order unseen which I don't like doing. Baffin are a Canadian brand. I much prefer the hands on, feet on approach vs ordering online and hoping they fit. I don't spend $100 on runners so dropping that amount on an unknown shoe was a stretch for me. If they fail next year I may just go back to the cheapies. I keep cheap runners for around camp so I can dry my feet after a days paddling.

Knee high rubber boots are also a good choice but most can't be closed tight at the top.

There is a guide book on the Kenai Canoe Trails in Ak. that the author recomends hip boots as the best footwear, I couldn't imagine it.

Alan, they do keep the bulk of the water out and you would have to be in the water for more than a minute or two to leak in more than your sock could soak up. Just don't do what my wife did and tuck your rain pants inside them, they don't drain and you will be ankle deep all day.

I'm also a fan of the Bean boots for tripping, I aquaseal/seamgrip the stitches down where the leather need the rubber, and snow Seal the leather part after and can be in the water for hours before getting my feet wet. My next pair will be these http://www.schnees.com/product/SCHNE...nees-Pac-Boots in the 16 inches!!

That said, when white water paddling, I use my 5/10 guide tennie, the best shoe ever made!!

Last edited:
No Title

those schnees look great -- any idea how the sole compares with the soft bottoms on the bean main hunting shoe -- i love their ground feel...

my 16" beans are pretty water-tight for wading, i hot-melt a greenland wax into the seams...if i go in past the tops, the socks get wet, the top gaskets most of it, if i'm really soaked, like wading hi-deep in water, the socks are wet thru but not sloshy...great flexible protection on the trail, in the swamps and in the water, and the soft-sole gives you your best chances on rocks this side of felt waters or steel caulks

rubber boots tend to pull away from your foot with every step around the heel, this works the socks down -- i love the top-lace natural rubber boots up at my camp, tho i don't use them for canoe-trips...

use water-socks, or sometimes deer-tan mocs, for my around-camp wear

Attachments

• photo3107.JPG
    photo3107.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 1
  • photo3108.JPG
    photo3108.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Back