• Happy National Telephone Day! 🔔☎️📱📶

Canoe tripping footwear

To reinforce stitching on new shoes, I had great luck with seamgrip, I even put a thin layer over the steel toe of my boots to prevent the leather to abrade in that area, it last for the entire life of the boot!!

This sounds like a great thing for shoemakers to jump on ! I've never been happy with my boating footwear !

Good boating footwear would surely put someone on the map !!!

Jim

This sounds like a great thing for shoemakers to jump on ! I've never been happy with my boating footwear !

Good boating footwear would surely put someone on the map !!!

Jim
I don't think so Jim. For one we are not slavish to trends and keep wearing stuff till it wears out.. The markets these days are geared toward self destructing stuff. And there are many more kayakers...who wont be wearing sturdy boots but bring the bucks.

And almost all of you are dedicating your footwear toward canoetripping in the boreal forest. I think.. Most of you haven't specified. I have a whole wardrobe of canoeing footwear for different places.

I admit to still looking for the perfect neoprene lace up boot with Kevlar Laces for the Everglades. For now I have to do with mere kayak booties but the sole is not thick enough to guard well against oyster bars. There used to be a Chota that worked well. I liked it, so of course it went away.

These last couple of seasons I have been wearing a pair of minimalist trail runners from New Balance, bought cheap from Sportsman's Guide. I have 4E wide feet so over the years I have become an NB fan.

In camp I wear Bean Mocs. I like that they keep my feet dry and warm and I could use them for paddling if I damage or lose another shoe to the river or wildlife.

There is likewise something I find agreeable about Trail Runners. I grew up with knock-off Jack Purcells and for 50 years bought really good hiking boots and really cheap “sneakers”. I found a pair of wide Goretex trail runners on an REI deal and realized I’d been penny foolish to too dang long.

Good to know New Balance offers extra wide size. I stomp 11 ½ or 12’s in EEEE with flipper feet that will quickly bust out the toes on most footwear.

Gotta love moccasins. I prefer drive barefoot. Big flipper feet, small pedals; I feel I have a better tactile sense on the gas or brake when barefoot, so on long trips I have a pair of mocs in the truck for gas and diner pit stops.

To reinforce stitching on new shoes, I had great luck with seamgrip, I even put a thin layer over the steel toe of my boots to prevent the leather to abrade in that area, it last for the entire life of the boot!!

I like that boot trick. My work boots, even my hiking boots, always end up with a mysterious amount of abrasion wear atop the toe box. Which is a testament to “dang I’m glad I had boots on”.

One downside to some Mukluk designs is that the neoprene will stretch and begin to weep at the stitching, especially awful because it happens on those first calf deep steps into the water before the material has wetted and swelled shut.

I’ve had really good results coating the stitches in neoprene on Muks with an Aquaseal/Cotol mix. The Cotol makes it set up faster, but it also makes the Aquaseal initially less viscous and probably helps it seep into the stitching.

There used to be a Chota that worked well. I liked it, so of course it went away.

Of course.

I wonder if that was the Chota Nunavut? I was sorry to see those discontinued. They were the most hike-able Mukluks, with an aggressive tread and a stacked heel. Even so they had enough neoprene that they were kneel-able.

Chota finally brought them back some years later in a similar version, with higher rubbers and less neoprene, the Chota Marsh Boot. Those don’t kneel as well, but neither do I with size 12 flippers in boots.

And, of course, those too went extinct a couple of years ago.

I have a 10 year old pair of Aquasealed-dry Nunavuts and the last of the Marsh Boots. I haven’t had to Aquaseal the Marsh boot stitching yet, so I figure I can keep them going for another decade, when Chota will again reintroduce a Mukluk better suited for canoeists.

And then discontinue them a year later.

I wished I had thought of Aquaseal before I ditched the Nunavuts. They actually had some cuts and tears in them> Nothing horrid but enough to leak.

Depends on length of trip and temperature of course. For summer day trips, bare feet in the boat and Keens in the water work fine, but are annoying and potentially dangerous if stepping in rocky water or beaver dams.
For multi day trips, I started using neoprene socks and I don't see ever looking back! Boot selection then becomes a matter of what's appropriate for the portage conditions. When I'm backpacking, I wear Merrell Moab hiking boots. When I have 75 lbs of canoe and packs on my back, the same footwear is appropriate. If there is a long distance/time between portages, I remove the boots and clip them to a thwart or pack so that I can kneel comfortably. If it's a short distance, I leave them on and sit up. I also regularly step into the water with just the socks on as they provide a good amount of abrasion and injection resistance. They're also warm regardless of the weather, but not uncomfortably.
In cold, wet weather, I use the same hiking boots or low cut hiking shoes but with liner socks and Kokotat dry pants in place of the neoprene socks.
For almost all of my paddling, I'm therefore shoe/bootless so an unplanned swim is easier and safer.
At camp, I pad around in the same socks and/ or Crocs 😳

am considering bringing some 'icers' for slick-rock portages...i have a cheap pair in the truck that i use for icy dogwalks in the woods -- thinking they'd be like slip-on caulks for my beans -- that's the theory anyway...

I wished I had thought of Aquaseal before I ditched the Nunavuts. They actually had some cuts and tears in them> Nothing horrid but enough to leak.

I think one trick to using Aquaseal on stitching or anything porous is to buy the Aquaseal/Cotol kit and mix them according to directions. While the Cotol makes the Aquaseal set up faster it also makes it initially far less viscous and it seeps into stitching or neoprene better.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Gear...=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03555392&rid=20

You might still be able to find a pair of the discontinued Chota Marsh boots. There were pairs hanging around for sale for a couple of years after Chota dropped them. The Marsh boots were popular with fishermen who didn’t need to height of full on waders and the local fly shops had them for a while.

http://www.backwaterangler.com/2003/11/25/chota-nunavut-ii-marsh-boot/

The next closest Muk I have found in terms of an aggressive tread and arch support for land are Boggs Classic High boots or, if you want a stacked heel, the Bogg Rancher.

http://www.bogsfootwear.com/shop/style/60142-001.html

http://www.bogsfootwear.com/shop/style/69142-001.html

“High” is relative. The Classic Highs are 14” tall and the Ranchers 15”. The Chota Marsh boots are 18 ½” high.

My sons are equally big footed, so we have a variety of Chotas, Boggs and Neosports. Daddy gets the Marsh Boots.

The rub for me is a boot that allows kneeling.. I have mid high Bogs that are wonderful for snowshoveling and have an aggressive enough tread for ice without trail crampons.. for taking the garbage to the end of the driveway. I have not entertained the thought of kneeling in a canoe with them.

Icers? Stabilicers? Those heavy things that are death on slippery rock? at least for me. We have to wear some sort of traction device for walking in the National Forest around here. Long ago we started with Stabilicers. At the top of almost every hill is a slope of granite. The studs were quite slick. We now use trail crampons which have better bite but are still iffy on bare rock.

The rub for me is a boot that allows kneeling.. I have mid high Bogs that are wonderful for snowshoveling and have an aggressive enough tread for ice without trail crampons.. for taking the garbage to the end of the driveway. I have not entertained the thought of kneeling in a canoe with them.

Aye, there’s the rub. Or the stiff, as it were. The Nunavuts had less stiff rubber down low and none at the ankle area, incoroprating much more neoprene than the Marsh Boots. The Marsh Boots also have a stiffer sole and would be near impossible to kneel in for the Sasquatch footed.

My Chota Marsh boots are 13’s, which leaves me some flipper footed toed wiggle room, even with Smartwools and Sealskinz layered underneath.

Wearing half-size too large Muks with wool socks and Sealskinz over size 12 feet is contraindicated in an easy-extraction kneeling guise. I have to go foot sideways to get my booted feet under the seat, and even when I can finagle them under the seat without snagging the “laces” on the seat or hanger hanger bolts I have entrapment concerns about getting them back out.

See also why I prefer to drive barefoot or in stocking feet. I once (lightly) rear ended a car when the laces on my right boot got looped around the gas pedal and I suddenly had to brake left footed.

I have some crampons courtesy of DougD, and while our shady hollows property is often an ice rink in winter, I hate the dang things and never wear them.

I should. I biffed it hockey rink hard a couple of time last winter just walking around to fill the bird feed feeders. I’m getting too old to suddenly and achingly find myself staring at the sky covered with millet and sunflower seeds.

Mike put the crampons on a dedicated pair of old boots. That way you don't have to rationalize why they are not on.. I have one pair of boots that I probably could not get the Kahtoolas off of if I wanted.

I think I've only seen NRS water shoes mentioned once so far. I wear their desperado on most of my trips. It's a neoprene reef boot with a rubber sole. There is also a plastic shim built in to ease the rock pressure. For my style tripping they work great. They keep my feet very warm even when wet and they don't let any sand in ever. I wouldn't want to wear them on hard portages, but that isn't ever an issue on my river trips. For constantly wet feet on river rocks or sand they work great.

I think I've only seen NRS water shoes mentioned once so far. I wear their desperado on most of my trips. It's a neoprene reef boot with a rubber sole. There is also a plastic shim built in to ease the rock pressure. For my style tripping they work great. They keep my feet very warm even when wet and they don't let any sand in ever. I wouldn't want to wear them on hard portages, but that isn't ever an issue on my river trips. For constantly wet feet on river rocks or sand they work great.

And no body seem to know about 5/10 water tenny... They are the most grippy shoes ever made, I have a pair for ww river running and when I teach and I'm always in and out of the canoe slippery rock or not and they never let me down!!http://fiveten.com/products/footwear-detail/13817-water-tennie-black

Sorry you are mistaken. I do know of them but I don't need them. I have a pair of old LL bean water sneakers just like them from 2000
Good to mention because others may benefit

I'm beginning to regret I ever started this thread. It's been quite a few years since I've had a shoe fetish but with all the suggestions I'm starting to want one of everything!

Tonight I took my leather work boots for a hike to wade around in the gravel pit and see how they did. They're old and worn out so, as expected, my feet were soon wet. But once I got out of the water and started walking back home I didn't feel like I was sloshing around in a pair of rubber boots. They did retain water longer than the Abyss boots I had on my trip but I don't think it really mattered all that much. They felt comfortable for the 3/4 mile I wore them wet. When I got home I pulled them off and wrung out the wet socks just like I did every evening on the trip. The socks and my feet were a bit wetter but it wasn't like there was so much water I could pour it out of the boots.

It appears a simple leather boot has more promise than I thought with the benefit of actually keeping my feet dry for brief and shallow immersions, which is the most common. That would give the option of having some days being completely dry footed.

And no body seem to know about 5/10 water tenny... They are the most grippy shoes ever made, I have a pair for ww river running and when I teach and I'm always in and out of the canoe slippery rock or not and they never let me down!!http://fiveten.com/products/footwear...r-tennie-black

Those look pretty nice. How's the traction on mud? The lugs don't look very deep.

Your post reminded me of 5.11 tactical gear so I went to see if they had boots. They do and some nifty looking ones at that. These look comparable to the Abyss boots, which I actually liked other than the poor construction:

http://www.511tactical.com/skyweight-rapiddry-boot.html

Alan

I like the mine just fine, they are no hiking boots, but the best I ever had as a canoe shoe. The grippier I ever had on wet slimy rocks. I know Astral make some thing with a simile rubber( the first generation was with 5ten rubber) this is supposed to be a great shoe.... But never been able to find it in my size(14)...

I've been using Bean water sneakers and like them on light carries but am looking for an ankle height 6" boot. The Abyss looks great but looks like it's going away. I can only find a size 6 and a size 8. The 511 tacts look good even thou the biggest concern in the reviews is how they look under Jeans.

I've been using Bean water sneakers and like them on light carries but am looking for an ankle height 6" boot. The Abyss looks great but looks like it's going away. I can only find a size 6 and a size 8.

Amazon still has quite a few sizes available if you don't mind going to the 8" version (which is what I have). You can get either Black or Tan. Best part is free return shipping. Order two sizes to make sure you get it right and it's free to send the other pair, or both, back if they don't fit.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-T...UTF8&qid=1444223585&sr=8-1&keywords=otb+abyss

Alan

A couple weeks back I put the finishing touches to my reorganization of our gear. Actually, it all started with decluttering, repainting and reorganizing the storeroom-furnaceroom-laundryroom Aladdin's cave. I finally pulled apart our gear to affectionately handle it one more time before putting it all to bed before next season. That's when I found our pots hadn't been washed since our last camp breakfast. Science experiment yuck. Anyway, with that all done I got up the nerve to weed out the extra bits and pieces of car camping questionables from our gear. Two milk crates full of pieces of gear we haven't used in years and are unlikely to. I set the yard sale castoffs aside and commanded-begged my wife to "get in here (please) and agree with me (pretty please) that we don't need this stuff." Some of it had family memories, like the bungee clothesline, partially melted plastic spaghetti fork, rusty soup ladle...but in the end it was easier than I'd anticipated. With everything fit into labelled Rubbermaid tubs and placed on solid shelves I stepped back and wistfully whispered to my wife M "Wouldn't it be nice if we had a complete set of all things canoe tripping related stored here. You know, like rain gear, clothing, hats, boots and shoes?" You see, all our gear is canoe tripping specific, but none of our clothing is. It all does double duty as work clothes, weekend play stuff, whatever we dig out of the cupboard shortly before our trip stuff. Same with our footwear. The clothing we pull on is fairly inconsequential for a trip provided it keeps us comfortably dry, warm, cool...but footwear can be a trickier decision, as we can see by this thread. I'll treat my boots and add them to the tripping gear pile, along with some wool socks and work pants. I'll also have a look at some of the suggestions made by you all. Maybe over the winter I'll add another pair of paddling footwear to the pile.

Back