• Happy International Museum Day!🏛️ 🖼️🏺

Bushcraft and canoeing course

Jonas,
I saw the bushcraft link and looked over the site and the included photos. Wow!! Some beautiful scenery there...Sure would like to see some more.

Jonas,
Thanks for sharing your excellent program. I have a Finnish friend that has taught me a little about the Sammis and their tipi like shelters used in the North. My brother is coming from Oregon in a few weeks to deliver a Plains style 18 foot tipi. There is nothing like watching the moon rise or the Northern Lights through the smoke hole.

Years ago a pro photographer came to one of our tipi parties and took some night time shots with the fire going. One of them became the poster for a Cowboy Poetry and Music Festival in Reno. I have a copy of it signed by all of the performers. One time in Elko at the National Cowboy Poetry Gathering a guy tried to sell me a CD with the same picture of my tipi on it. Nearly everyone loves tipis, there is no denying it.

Jonas - Thanks for providing the link to your blog and all the information on the school. It looks like a wonderful opportunity to get a solid hands-on experience in bushcraft. I appreciate your comments about bushcraft being something, if done correctly, that doesn't harm the environment. I think too many modern campers believe just the opposite. For what it's worth, I firmly feel schools like this should be a part of everyone's life learning adventure.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...be well.

snapper

Great stuff. I enjoyed reading your posts about tar and shellac on canvas canoes, and your series on canoe paddles. I hope you have a great season with Tjikko. I imagine the ice out is there, or almost...just starting in Southern Ontario, still waiting for central Ontario...[paces the room again]

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Great to hear that you appreciate the blog!
Yes tump_lion. It's the same. I used a brand that's called "Hälsingetjära" here in Sweden. It's pine tar mixed with some pine oil to get thinner. But it works well with ordinary pine tar too (the stuff for skis), it's just a bit thicker so you might need to heat it a little to get it in. But it's not supposed to be super thin either, then it will soak the canvas and won't dry.

great stuff! it's getting very hard to find swix grundvalla these days, i picked up a quart of pine-tar from an equine supply house -- it's not as sweet as the swix, but it does the job...use it on skis, cut it into some wood-finish on axes and paddles, and threw a little into my canvas wax mix for good measure...

Back