• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

builders dilemma...

Reaction score
So, while my local suppliers of clear western red cedar are all closed due to the coronavirus situation, my proposed strip build is on hold. However, while looking around online I found this pile of clear cedar available about 3.5 hrs north of me in mid-state NY. The stuff looks amazingly good, 1.75" x 1.75 square stock in 14'-16' lengths. 90 pieces of material for an advertised price of $400. It's coated with Cabot's bleaching stain, but from experience I know that stuff doesn't penetrate very deeply. A pass through a planer or drum sander would remove it, as would the process of ripping, beading & coving would remove most of it anyway.
Click image for larger version  Name:	89846252_2746225042127368_6701888623903506432_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	193.8 KB ID:	106775Click image for larger version  Name:	89209566_2746225068794032_4211988781244350464_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	154.1 KB ID:	106776Click image for larger version  Name:	89918125_2746225105460695_7977755843691020288_o.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.8 KB ID:	106777

By my calculations, each piece can be ripped in half yielding 2 pieces approximately 7/8" x 1.75". Each of these should yield (5) 1/4" strips, so 10 strips per piece. If my figures are right that would potentially yield 900 strips for $400.00, or .45 per strip! dang, that would build 10 boats!

I have a truck, and the area is very familiar to me- I drive by all the time when on the way to visit my son in VT. The question is whether it's responsible for me to go there during this time of quarantine. I would go non-stop, and only deal with the owner of the material; the only contact would be to hand over the cash. I'd love to be able to just send the guy the funds and ask him to hold onto the material until it's safe to go pick it up- just so I don't lose the opportunity! That would require trusting a stranger to protect my investment for an indeterminate time- something I'm willing to do... I'm an optimist by nature and believe most of us humans are good people... but who knows how long it may take to safely go pick up the material & and what may happen in the meantime!

Any brilliant suggestions out there? Thanks, Pat

Last edited:
I don't see why you can't go and get it. Just don't stop anywhere else along the way. If you have to fuel up, sanitize the pump handle and your hands afterwards. You could even do the deal while maintaining 6' of separation between you and the seller.

I'd do the same as Zac said.

Otherwise you would be missing out on great down time, that you can turn into canoe building time. Oh if you are building a Kayak ? I wouldn't risk it ! ;)

If you are real concerned were the mask and gloves, and when you get home wait 72 hrs before touching it again .

Good Luck !

Jim

I guess the concern is being a good citizen and respecting the quarantine for one thing. Another is the risk (remote probably- though my truck is of 2008 vintage!) of a breakdown and then having to be in contact with others and maybe a motel stay, truck repairs, etc. I suppose I'm just thinking about erring on the side of caution. I'll probably contact the guy and ask for his thoughts. Thanks, Pat

I'm going by what it's like here in Iowa. It hasn't hit us quite as hard yet !

By all means Stay Safe ! Other things more important than a good deal on wood !

Jim

Speaking as the proud father of a Hospital Nurse, I think I'd purchase the material now and pick up at a later, safer date if agreeable to the seller. The cedar looks really nice. I love those tight growth rings. It's like looking back in time.

Go get the cedar. Your risk of infection while driving isn't going to be much different than the risk at home.

At all stops, maintain social distance, and don't be shy about telling people to stand back. It is very fortunate that this novel virus doesn't travel far on its own. You can leave the money in an envelope or under a brick or something so that you don't have to hand-to-hand give it to the seller. Unless your cash has been on hand since pre-Covid times, assume it's contaminated and take precautions after handling it.

If you are worried about your vehicle breaking down, rent something or have somebody ready to come rescue you. Wash your hands after fueling, or decant some of that alcohol you have in the shop into a pocket size bottle, then splash some onto a rag and wipe down whatever needs wiping down. Bring along your own snacks so you don't have to go into restaurants. Unless you have decontaminated your vehicle, try not to touch your face while driving--for me, that has been difficult.

The risks seem very manageable. Also, driving is a real pleasure these days. Traffic? Forget about it.

Hey Chip, and everyone else, thanks for your thoughts. I practically live out of my truck for work, so I am usually prepared for most eventualities anyway. I've got home-made sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, dust masks, respirator, goggles, etc. so I'm probably prepared. I think however, rather than making my wife concerned for my safety or leaving her home alone, I'll probably just try to arrange to have the seller keep the material on hand until safer times arrive. I haven't heard back from him anyway, so maybe he's off the grid for the duration too!

Best of luck to all, and I hope you all stay healthy.

Pat

another thing you can do when filling up is to use gloves- scan your card with a bare hand, pop on a glove for the other to push buttons etc, and work the pump. when done (if you haven't already) complete the transaction, grab the exposed glove from the inside at the palm, turn it inside out and drop in the garbage can. that's what most of the emergency services are doing here.

Go get the cedar. Your risk of infection while driving isn't going to be much different than the risk at home.

At all stops, maintain social distance, and don't be shy about telling people to stand back. It is very fortunate that this novel virus doesn't travel far on its own. You can leave the money in an envelope or under a brick or something so that you don't have to hand-to-hand give it to the seller. Unless your cash has been on hand since pre-Covid times, assume it's contaminated and take precautions after handling it.

If you are worried about your vehicle breaking down, rent something or have somebody ready to come rescue you. Wash your hands after fueling, or decant some of that alcohol you have in the shop into a pocket size bottle, then splash some onto a rag and wipe down whatever needs wiping down. Bring along your own snacks so you don't have to go into restaurants. Unless you have decontaminated your vehicle, try not to touch your face while driving--for me, that has been difficult.

The risks seem very manageable. Also, driving is a real pleasure these days. Traffic? Forget about it.

Despite having been a voice of gloom and doom as this pandemic progresses I’m with Chip, Zac and others. I can easily drive 8 hours on a tank of gas without stopping, provided I don’t slug down too much coffee. BTW, with rest areas and restaurants closed a hospital style urinal jug is a travelling boon.

https://www.healthykin.com//p-1429-male-portable-urinal-with-cover.aspx?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4eazxajA6AIVCWKGCh2x3 wrSEAQYASABEgIUjPD_BwE

Don’t even need to stop driving with that strategically angled neck, the driver’s seat is much the same relief position as a hospital bed. Once bladder relieved just slow down to 30 mph on some open stretch, hang it low out the window and empty. 20 cross country trips with that kind of urinal and a sleeping shift driver; I didn’t want to wake them up for a simple piss, nor they me. Just make sure the rear windows are closed.

With the precautions Chip mentions you are probably as safe, or safer, on the road solo than at home. And the roads are now a mostly empty pleasure; I can finally make a left turn across traffic at will. (Odd side note: Maybe it is just less traffic, but other folks on the road seem to be driving more cautiously, more defensively and more respectfully. Subliminal self preservation maybe; this is not the time to get in a wreck). I haven’t been tailgated in weeks.

There is also the issue of potential future restrictions on travel and shelter at home orders. States have already issued Shelter in place orders, some as long as 6 weeks (New Hampshire?). I’m not a strip builder, but having a hefty supply clear western red cedar on handy might be a stuck-at-home until the middle of May (or longer) comfort in shop stock, especially if the alternative is helping pick out paint swatches or wallpaper. Don’t ask.

My concern in this has always been for my hourly wage friends, waitress buddies and gig economy acquaintances. Add to that now, any paddling friend without a shop in which to seek distance refuge from the spouse or kids and still be productive.

Worse still, think about folks who live in town, in apartments, condos or, eessh, high rises. Elevator rides up to the 17[SUP]th[/SUP] floor must be a peculiar challenge.

Back