• Happy Incorporation of Hudson's Bay Co. (1670) 🍁🦫🪓

​Best tripping coffee mug?

No Title

I have been using a light weight noninsulated plastic cup that I got at REI years ago. I prefer noninsulated because I like to feel the heat when I wrap my hands around it, I also like to drink my coffee quickly. On the day this picture was taken it was working very well with luke champane.

Attachments

• photo5291.jpg
    photo5291.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 0
A trip down memory lane; my 1984 Toyota Hi-Lux did not have a single cup holder. The best place to set a coffee cup was on the transmission hump in front of the bench seat. Those / _\ shaped ceramic mugs were ideal for that.

I had an 88 Toyota, pickup, pre-Taco. No cup holders. It had vinyl floor mats. I left a roll of duct tape on the tranny hump on a hot day and it glommed on to the vinyl and stuck there the remaining years I had the truck. It made a great cup holder.

My 2009 Taco had 11 cup holders. Two were in an annoying "center console" between the jump seats in back. I removed the space hogging console, so now I'm down to 9 cup holders.

Last edited:
LOL. I saw a Yeti coffee cup in the hardware store. I went by a shelf of Yeti Mugs. Now reduced to $34? YGBKM.

$34 for a coffee mug? Only if it makes the coffee and magically refills itself.

I can't drink coffee out of a clear mug... Just not right.

Not sure why, but drinking coffee from a clear mug would put me off as well. Tea maybe, beer certainly, but not coffee.

I have a 2009 Forester. It has two squares in the center console that are too small for coffee mugs.. WTF?

Yeah, a square niche for a coffee cup makes no sense. I gotta wonder if they don’t make a square-to-round adapter or genuine Subaru square base coffee cup. For $49.95.

I think I would fit a square piece of minicel into that console niche and use a hole saw to cut a cylindrical minicel top, custom sized for my favorite travelling mug.

in the end I forgot all about getting the reflectix I wanted to get.

Before you got back how’s your supply of Reflectix tape?

That Reflectix stuff is wonderful for pot and pan cozies. Of course I don’t use pots or pans, but the Reflectix pouch for holding a freeze dried meal bag is the bomb and dead simple to make.

No more tepid and barely rehydrated beef stew and no more scalded fingers holding the hot pouch as I try to gulp it down before it gets cold. “Wait 10 minutes”? heck, wait 20 minutes, it’s still too hot to eat.

Interesting info from my friend today. Yeti for under $10.

"If you are into Yeti Tumblers, don't spend $40 bucks on the Yeti Brand ones. The exact same thing is available at Walmart, under the Ozark Trail brand.

My co-worker, who is our mechanical engineer, was in tawain, china, etc. last week visiting all of our suppliers and he went to the factory that makes the Yeti and Ozark Trail tumblers. The two tumblers use the exact same molds and materials. Yeti is actually suing walmart for copyright infringement."

Back from a bird seed and coffee mug run to WalMart. That adventure was somewhere between frustrating and humorous.

I asked the guy in sporting goods where the Ozark Trails coffee mugs were and the first thing he said was “Man, those are selling like hotcakes”.

Found them. Measured the bottom diameter with the truck tape measure. The center console cup holder in the truck is 2 7/8 inches wide. The base of the Ozark Trails Yeti knock off is a hair under that. Yay!

Take it out to the truck and it fits. For about a 1/8 inch depth. The tumbler has a slight taper, the cup holder in the console does not. It ain’t working there.

OK, there are two cup holder thingees on the front of the console, set in square removable rubber cup sleeves. Yay, the tumbler fits snugly all the way down in cup holders. Too snugly; when I take the tumbler out the entire square rubber base come out with it.

Back to WallyWorld to return the Ozark Trails cup I have owned for three minutes. As I’m walking to the exchange counter I pass two guys, both carrying Ozark Trails tumblers, who point at me, smile and tell me the “identical to a Yeti, from same factory” story. They also tell me that there are other sizes and shapes of the Yeti knock-offs in the housewares area.

Sure enough, there are. All 1/16 inch too wide or a bit tapered.

Square cup holders in a Subaru. A tiny bit too narrow cup holders in a Toyota. I guess the Japanese don’t get that Americans drink coffee when they drive.

I have this one and had it for a long time, I'm thinking at least 6 years and it is going strong. the best mug/tumbler I ever had, it keeps coffee/tea hot for a long time, it is tough, real tough, it has a great lid the when shut close doesn't leak what so ever, when open is easy to drink from, you can take it apart easily to clean it!! It is a great mug!http://english.thermosbrand.ca/product_details.aspx?ProdID=1812&CatCode=MUGS&q=

I have this one and had it for a long time, I'm thinking at least 6 years and it is going strong. the best mug/tumbler I ever had, it keeps coffee/tea hot for a long time, it is tough, real tough, it has a great lid the when shut close doesn't leak what so ever, when open is easy to drink from, you can take it apart easily to clean it!! It is a great mug!http://english.thermosbrand.ca/product_details.aspx?ProdID=1812&CatCode=MUGS&q=

Canoetrouge, on my mug return and housewares prowl back into the Umpa Lumpa of Wally World I dang near bought that Thermos tumbler, or a near identical one. I measured it for the Tacoma and I think it will fit, but I couldn’t handle even the possibility of standing in a second WalMart return line on the same day.

If WalMart shopping is a trip, standing in the return line is peyote, sprinkled with d lysergic acid and a mushroom cherry on top.

Coincidentally for a k...k camp trip this fall that we were planning where because of space limitations we felt each could bring either an insulated mug or an insulated vacuum bottle: I tested the Ozark Trails 20 oz and the Arctic 20 oz stainless double wall tumbler mugs (purchased for under $10 each), using hot water, timer and a digital thermometer (slow day at work) over 15 min, 30 min, 1:15 hours w water almost boiling from a hot water kettle.

With an outside air temp of 80, there was no clear difference between the two - I measured outside the mug, the top of the sippy lids and inside wall temps w perhaps the slightest edge going to the Arctic mug, with water temps dropping about 25F over 1:30 minutes. (certainly a closed vacuum bottle would do substantially better)
For my usage, breakfast time or afternoon hot mug up, that is plenty good and a piece of CCF pad or Reflectix to fit over the top and seal off the clear sippy lids...(guess I can wait for a rainy day to do that test) you'd certainly keep even more heat in.

I am impressed with the quality of cup and lid from both. Good deal @ $10 each.

No cupholders were abused or damaged in this test.

I'll put it in the mail to Mike and he can use it for the mug trials which are sure to follow.

While camping and tripping, an inexpensive insulated cup with lid and handle has been my companion for many years. I've always had a love/hate thing with the handle; sure is convenient, but troublesome when packing.

Stumbled on this today in Bass Pro Shop while in search for something else. The webbing handle seemed to resolve my packing issue. Field trials to follow. The nylon fabric exterior has some insulation to it. $10.

IMG_2752 (3).JPG

cup.png

I've used one of these cheapo gas station insulated mugs with the snap on top for years winter camping. This one is probably 15 years old. I usually bring it canoe camping but never bring a mug while backpacking in the summer. I like to keep the weight down backpacking, so I just use a pint sized lexan nalgene bottle that doubles as my water bottle during the day. For hot drinks I just hold the nalgene in a sock, in a jacket pocket or drink it a little faster since it cools off relatively quickly depending on the air temp. The nalgene bottle is nice too because you can put it in a pocket with the hot drink or boiling water and get those hands warmed up in a hurry without spilling. I like taking things with multiple uses like that. I'm thinking about ditching the coffee mug altogether on future canoe trips. Mark

I like taking things with multiple uses like that. I'm thinking about ditching the coffee mug altogether on future canoe trips.

You can have my insulated, capped coffee mug when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

In the midst of the great coffee cup search I have realized how peculiar I am. Well, I knew that, but I am especially peculiar about my coffee cup. We have 30 coffee mugs at home and I use two of them.

The only problem with my REI mug is that you can't find them anymore. The consumer cycle moves on and retailers and the Chinese suppliers constantly "upgrade" their inventory. It's life in the consumption economy.

I used to fix a mug of coffee that I would toss in my bag, which bag went on my bike with me to the train station (15 minute ride including on cold winter mornings), then onto the train for 20 minutes, then another 10 or 15 minutes from train to desk. The coffee was so hot it would burn my mouth an hour after I left home. It didn't leak along the way, either. It did not have a handle, and handles complicate putting the cup into the Taco's cup holder anyway. There is a push-button mechanism on the top that opened the sipping mechanism. To prevent inadvertent depression of that button, which would have been disaster in my bag, there is a hinged cap that covers the button, and is an unmistakable indicator of where the sippy spout is.

I don't use it anymore. I quit drinking coffee. I'll put it in the mail to Mike and he can use it for the mug trials which are sure to follow.

Chip personally delivered his unused REI coffee tumbler to my shop door. It holds 2 cups and fits in the squinchy Tacoma cup holder. It is insulated and bomber leakproof.

Really leak proof. It has a screw on lid, push bottom sip valve and clasp locking cap. I broke a nail getting the cap clasp undone, and I had just come back from a pedicure.

I could live with that, but the lip sip diameter doesn’t fit my coffee quaffing yap. I dribbled.

It found a home on the passenger side of the Taco as a guest cup.

The tripping truck coffee cup search continues.

You can have my insulated, capped coffee mug when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

In the midst of the great coffee cup search I have realized how peculiar I am. Well, I knew that, but I am especially peculiar about my coffee cup. We have 30 coffee mugs at home and I use two of them.

Yeah, I won't take a picture of our coffee cup shelf at home, nor will I admit to how many of them I've ever used.

I like/hate the handles on our plastic coffee mugs. Those awkward plastic protuberances mean that these mugs won't efficiently slide down into convenient spaces inside packs and barrels. They're not deal breakers, but I'm on the lookout for mug improvements. This might be it. https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5040-5...nal-Java-Press

The plastic Circle-K cup I use for oatmeal and soup had a handle. I liked the cup but not the handle, so I cut it off with a coping saw and filed the edges smooth. Problem solved.

I recently saw those fabric wrapped GSI cups. I wonder how easy/convenient it is to remove the nylon cozy before plunking the cup in the dish washing bucket. I wouldn’t want that fabric cozy slimed with oatmeal dregs or bits of cream of mushroom soup.

And then remember were you put the cozy. And then put it back on, turning a simple cup rinse into a 3-step process.

I have gone to the GSI Infinity mug with the fabric handle as I am doing a fair bit of backpacking these days along with canoeing/kayaking. The lid is close to a bombproof closure - dropped it several times and it hasn't spilled a drop! Light weight and no handle to curse when packing is a bonus plus I scratched some lines on the outside of the liner for a measuring cup, one of the best $10 buck gear investments I've made :cool:

The plastic Circle-K cup I use for oatmeal and soup had a handle. I liked the cup but not the handle, so I cut it off with a coping saw and filed the edges smooth. Problem solved.

I recently saw those fabric wrapped GSI cups. I wonder how easy/convenient it is to remove the nylon cozy before plunking the cup in the dish washing bucket. I wouldn’t want that fabric cozy slimed with oatmeal dregs or bits of cream of mushroom soup.

And then remember were you put the cozy. And then put it back on, turning a simple cup rinse into a 3-step process.

You're inviting me to find a saw blade that isn't already broken and isn't already misplaced. Good idea though Mike. I bought a brand new file last month. My next project is to remember where I put it. Who knows? Maybe it's hiding out with my spare saw blades?
As far as the dish washing problem, well there ain't none. I never wash my mugs, just give them a quick swirl of water and put them back on the shelf. A couple weeks ago that got me in trouble. My brother and sister-i-l stood perplexed in my kitchen wondering why when they fetched a mug from the shelf a peach pit dropped out of one. "How the heck did that get there?!" I remembered I'd been eating peaches back when they were in season here, driving home from work one day with a sloppy juicy peach and cup o'coffee (stopped off at a farmer's roadside market). NOW I remember what I did with the peach stone.
I once had an aunt and uncle who never even rinsed their tea pot; just emptied it after use. They reasoned they were "seasoning" the pot with built up tea tannins over the years. Coulda just skipped the tea bags/leaves and just added boiling water, there was that much sooty black film encrusting the tea pot interior. Works for me.

Long time no see Canoedog; hope all is well out in beautiful BC. Yeah, I'm liking the looks of that GSI Infinity mug.

Last edited:
You're inviting me to find a saw blade that isn't already broken and isn't already misplaced. Good idea though Mike. I bought a brand new file last month. My next project is to remember where I put it.

Brad, did you look on the pegboard, in front of the Sharpie-marked outline of a coping saw, next to the hook with the package of spare blades?

I can’t help with the new file. Maybe it’s in the file cabinet.

I don’t wash my camping coffee mug either, just fresh water swish and toss. I couldn’t reach the bottom of it anyway without a custom telescoping titanium brush. I was thinking more along the lines of using the GSI mug for edibles.

I use an enamel mug too, but red, not blue. It has many authentic chips on it which add to the appeal.

BUT for truly leakproof, get a Contigo. They sometimes sell them in two-packs at Costco. Those things are awesome. I use it on my way to work/school and just throw it in my purse half-full and it has never failed me yet... well, that is, until Andrew took the springs out for some unknown reason and know doesn't know how to put it back together.

http://www.gocontigo.com/mugs/autoseal-mugs/

Pegboard. Let me see. When's the last time I saw a pegboard? Oh yeah! The back wall of my tool shed! Behind a pile of junk and summer leftover folding chairs. Folding chairs? Oh yeah. I guess I should return those from a BBQ we had back in July. Everyone brought their own. Outlines on pegboards? You mean like tool outlines? That's way too much commitment to put them back where they belong. Waaay too much commitment.

Last edited:
Back