• Happy May Ray Day! 🌞😎🌻🩳🇩

Bead and Cove for 3/16" Strips

Reaction score
I'm about to mill strips and was hoping to use a 3/16" thickness to save some weight. I have a bead and cove set with an 1/8" radius, but haven't been able to find anything with a 3/32" radius...I'm wondering how necessary it is that the radius exactly matches the strip thickness? Has anyone tried this before? I'd prefer not to have to bevel each strip, so I'll likely accept the extra weight and cut 1/4" strips if I can't make a bead and cove work for 3/16".

The cutter doesn’t need to match the plank thickness, just make sure that it is centered and doesn’t cut a lopsided radius.
Jim

Yes, you can use your 1/8" radius bit, for the 3/16" strips. Just be sure your bits are Centered to the strips !

Uniformity in strip thickness, and centered with the router bits is a little more important with the thinner strips !

You will be fine ! Here it Comes ! If you cut your strips with the Skilsaw Method ! Those that know me expected that last comment !

Good Luck !

Jim

I've used the same bits for 3/16" (and thinner) strips without much issue. But I went back to hand beveling for the last couple boats. Don't know if I'll go back to bead and cove when I start building again or not. It really wasn't bad. Many strips don't need any, or very little, beveling. Putting on the bead and cove is probably my least favorite part of the whole build and I doubt there is any time saved in the long run.

Alan

That’s just the right size
If you put a full radius on the strips you would have a delicate feather edge on the cove side
Those feather edges would break off during handling and stripping, making for much more work sanding

Excellent, that's good to know! So, for a 1/4" strip, I would want something a 3/16" radius bit in order to avoid the delicate edges?

Excellent, that's good to know! So, for a 1/4" strip, I would want something a 3/16" radius bit in order to avoid the delicate edges?

Your bits will work perfect with 1/$' thick strips.
Jim

Back