• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

arrivecan

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone here understands this app better than I. We're doing a day trip tomorrow and under "quarantine plan" I'd like to "return home" to my USA home, but the program will not allow entering other than a Canadian address. No luck searching. Phone help weekdays only. Grrr

Interesting date you picked! The rules for US Citizens vising Canada change at of Midnight tonight so this may be part of the reason you are having issues. Of course even now you have to spend you quarantine time in Canada since technically you are not allowed to do ANYTHING in Canada until after the quarantine period has ended.

I did find this about ArriveCan

Travelling on or after April 25? Wait to submit your ArriveCAN form until close to your entry time and update your app on April 25th to use the new rules.

Seems like you need to stay up late or get up early to use the updated version of the App.

They asked for passport only, said arrivecan was in their system, didn't ask about quarantine. Quite fast. No wait. There were cars behind us. So, very easy.

They asked for passport only, said arrivecan was in their system, didn't ask about quarantine. Quite fast. No wait. There were cars behind us. So, very easy.
That has to make life easier for you! When I lived in Canton NY we used to border hop at least once a week but returned back the same day each time

Yes, living in Potsdam, wed Thu k nothing of crossing border for an evening.

All well. Obligatory stop at Tim Hortons. We'll see how crossing back into US goes in a half hour or so.

Just remember the speed limits are in KPH!! When my college girlfriend and I visited Windsor, we didn’t realize that and her vehicle did not have a scale in KPH! So we just estimated and drive slow…

Speedometer has both and every gps I've used displays speed in mph in US and kph in CA. Also been going to CA since I was 5, including that time in 60s when they changed from imperial to metric (and US stupidly did not).

And Canadians drive a lot faster than the metric equivalent of 9 mph over limit.

Just remember the speed limits are in KPH!! When my college girlfriend and I visited Windsor, we didn’t realize that and her vehicle did not have a scale in KPH! So we just estimated and drive slow…
KPH is actually the small set of #'s under the MPH #'s. It's reversed on Canadian and European cars

KPH is actually the small set of #'s under the MPH #'s. It's reversed on Canadian and European cars

The speedometer really and truly only had mph. It’s the only vehicle I’ve ever driven/ridden in that completely lacked the second scale. An tiny Isuzu Pup pickup.

So I hope you all crossing the border south to north and back again report back as to how it goes. I plan to be crossing the border in late July and it makes me nervous. Never did before, but it takes me forever to figure out how apps work.

I didn't emphasize it in beginning but our crossing was based upon all of us being fully vaccinated. I understand some people are not, and I don't know if or how they can enter Canada.

Erica - it wasn't that hard. Day before entering sit down with a smart phone, passport or equivalent, and proof of vaccination. Download app, keep notes (id and pw), basic name, address, telephone no., entry date and time, and when they ask for passport and vaccination, use your camera. I predict success!

I think its way easier this year.. Robin did it last year and I have no idea how he dealt with the quarantine question .Thankfully that is gone now..
I wonder how those without a smartphone get across? Any idea Bill?

Erica if you need to submit ArriveCan and don't have a mobile device you can use our Internet connection here in Maine or at any public library.

I think its way easier this year.. Robin did it last year and I have no idea how he dealt with the quarantine question .Thankfully that is gone now..

I crossed at a small crossing by Jackman, Maine last year. No cell phone, but I mentioned that I filled out the arrive Canada app at home, showed my passport card, vaccination card and recent Covid test.
He asked where I was going and when I mentioned a solo wilderness canoe trip above Chibougamau, Quebec he said, “oh, I know where that is” and welcomed me to Canada.
I guess the fact that I could make my destination to a solo wilderness setting by nightfall came into play, but who knows
It was very stressful, I had visions of being turned away, but all for naught.

You can do it on a personal computer - don't have to have a smart phone. They didn't ask to see app - just took passports and presumably to that got them to the completed ArriveCAN data.

Quebec is requiring masks btw. Not rest of Canada.

You can do it on a personal computer - don't have to have a smart phone. They didn't ask to see app - just took passports and presumably to that got them to the completed ArriveCAN data.

Quebec is requiring masks btw. Not rest of Canada.
I think all of us have a stash of masks in the car.. Just in case. But good to know Bill

I wonder how those without a smartphone get across? Any idea Bill?

Erica if you need to submit ArriveCan and don't have a mobile device you can use our Internet connection here in Maine or at any public library.

No smartphone or taking a short trip?

Within 72 hours of your arrival in Canada or before taking a short trip outside Canada, you can sign in to ArriveCAN from a computer to get your ArriveCAN receipt. Print your receipt and take it with you when you travel. You can also have someone submit your travel information on your behalf.

As far as the non-vaccinated, if you are a "foreign national" entering for "tourism" you are forbidden. There are a few situations where an non-vaccinated person can enter but visiting friends or going on a canoe trip won't cut it.

Back