• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

Anybody want a project canoe?

Now that is a bummer!!
I have two of my boats in the backyard right now...no, the strippers stay indoors, but I would be hard pressed to replace those canoes for the bargain price that I paid for them. Maybe I should scrape some room for them indoors?

Good news bad news thing.
Good news is you can pick any colour you want. Bad news is you'll be awhile before you even get to the colour thing.

Original post on FB

Whoa. Our friend's canoe after the lighting strike the other night in Fall River, NS

Reply:

I am not so sure. Does anyone know ----'s whereabouts on the day in question?

Reply:

Wasn't me. Was like that when I found it.

​Reply:

There would have been weenie sticks scattered around if ----- had anything to do with it..

And continues...

I recall a photo from a few years back of a row of BWCA outfitter boats after a forest fire had swept through. There was nothing left but the charred remains of aluminum gunwales and other metal parts.

Time to add a lightening rod and ground wire to my canoe rack?

I recall a photo from a few years back of a row of BWCA outfitter boats after a forest fire had swept through. There was nothing left but the charred remains of aluminum gunwales and other metal parts.

I wonder what type of hull? I'd expect fiberglass and kevlar cloth to remain after a fire. Not sure about carbon.

Alan

I wonder what he wants for it? Quick, somebody call Robin. (ha. just kidding there buddy)

I've never heard of a lightening strike on a canoe before. Mine is treacherously safe on a rack under a tall Spruce. Next to my house. Outside my bedroom window. I'll smell the melting kevlar just after the CRACK. I just remembered, I sit the lawnmower underneath it (out of the rain). Perhaps more like CRACK KABOOM.

Melting point of Kevlar is 660 degreesF . Its not a wood boat.. oh wait carbon is wood.. Wood flash point is likely lower.. now as for carbon...a charcoal fibre boat? Alu is 1221 F. So the fire may have been >660 <1200. The alu rails remain.

Temperature caused by a lightning strike? Anyone?

Kevlar doesn't exactly have a melting point. It just sort of disintegrates at 800 or 900 degrees F, which could explain what we see, but I imagine fiberglass would turn back into glass when it cools and leave some noticable residue behind. Carbon fiber is a great conductor that could attract some electricity. I think I saw some plastic kayaks in the picture, that might be some indication of what kind of canoe they had.

Having been about 30 feet from a lightning strike, I would think it would have done a bit more than just toast the boat. In the photo there are several what look like extension cords draped close to the burn and only one portion of the cord is charred. Things that make you go... hmmmmm.

WCHA Assembly had a Fresh Air Canoe. the gunwales were holding some ribs together and some planks. Someone actually bought it for ten bucks. Once upon a time it was a nice something..

Back