• Happy Marine Mammal Rescue Day! 🐳🐬🦭🦦

What to do with a month's worth of PTO?

Reaction score
I have managed to find a full month for a canoe trip this summer. I've been contemplating a mixed route in Wabakimi but am open to suggestions. Anybody?

You could have a look at the big Marshall lake loop to the east of Wabakimi. Put in at Marshall, go down the Kapikotongwa River all the way to Melchett Lake, then make your way back over to Meta lake and out. No shuttles needed. Not sure what types of distances you like to put in, but that would take probably around 15 days, maybe more if you threw in some side trips, up to Faubert lake for a day, Makoke, could even port over to Kayden Lake and play around on Ogoki lake and river for a few days. I can set you up with maps if you are interested.

If you haven't done the Steel Loop yet, you could throw that in as well, somewhere between six and ten days, it's a loop trip as well, so no shuttles.

I second Memaquay’s recommendation. I have done two weeks in Woodland Caribou PP and later did the crown land Marshall Lake circuit, I found them comparable. There’s something about a trip on crown land that I enjoy over the park though, but that’s just me.

I would start on the Berens River north of Red Lake. There is a mind numbing choice of routes as you head downstream. You could go all the way to Lake Winnipeg by any number of routes or you can go rogue and explore different routes to your hearts content and paddle back to the put in.

Alan

You could have a look at the big Marshall lake loop to the east of Wabakimi. Put in at Marshall, go down the Kapikotongwa River all the way to Melchett Lake, then make your way back over to Meta lake and out. No shuttles needed. Not sure what types of distances you like to put in, but that would take probably around 15 days, maybe more if you threw in some side trips, up to Faubert lake for a day, Makoke, could even port over to Kayden Lake and play around on Ogoki lake and river for a few days. I can set you up with maps if you are interested.

If you haven't done the Steel Loop yet, you could throw that in as well, somewhere between six and ten days, it's a loop trip as well, so no shuttles.
Is the Marshall Lake loop all crown land? I like the idea of a loop.

re: Marshall loop 2 cents. Each and every camp the first few nights are worth layover days; Marshall, Grip, and Summit lakes, Kap R too.
Each evening I thought to myself "I could stay another day or three here."
Although my trip was an abbreviated one in which we took out at the (Ogoki?) bridge, that route begged to be explored and enjoyed at leisure. Entirely Crown Land I believe.

Yes, all on Crown land. When you get to the big lakes at the end, you might see boats as there is an outfitter camp on both lakes. If you do the big loop, the section between Stewart and melchett is very remote.

Yes, all on Crown land. When you get to the big lakes at the end, you might see boats as there is an outfitter camp on both lakes. If you do the big loop, the section between Stewart and melchett is very remote.
Memaquay, I'd like to take your offer to help out with maps. Should we discuss off line? Thanks so much.

Marshall is the one trip I would like to do again, but longer and a side trip up to Faubert just for the fishing. Almost never ending pickerel and plenty of Northern Pike as well.

It was our only ever group trip.

Back