• Happy Weed Appreciation Day! 🌱🌿🌻

Any Mainers Want to Meet Up for A Day Trip in the next 2 weeks??

Reaction score
Hello Mainers, I'm in Maine on vacation (I got COVID tested and legally don't need to quarantine) for the next 2 weeks and would love to meet up with any forum member(s) for a socially distanced day paddle. I'll be splitting my time between Kittery and Raymond but I'm ok to drive up to 3.5 hours each way!

If you have any interest in meeting up, feel free to PM me or call my cell at (3-zero-1) 7-five-8 - 9-zero-9-six

Hope to hear from some of you!

If I can clear my schedule up a bit I might be able to work in a day trip. I am in Cushing so at the extreme of your range.
Jim

The trouble is that today I am cooking and shopping as we leave Thurs for Downeast ME (Machias)and also Jo Mary region( Millinocket). Packing tomorrow including boats and making sure everything is stored away and working at a food bank. Tues and Wed look crappy thanks to Isaias and Thurs we leave
Otherwise I would be interested! The timing just doesn't work.

I can suggest good paddles as I am in Raymond on the water.

The trouble is that today I am cooking and shopping as we leave Thurs for Downeast ME (Machias)and also Jo Mary region( Millinocket). Packing tomorrow including boats and making sure everything is stored away and working at a food bank. Tues and Wed look crappy thanks to Isaias and Thurs we leave
Otherwise I would be interested! The timing just doesn't work.

I can suggest good paddles as I am in Raymond on the water.

Hey yellowcanoe, would have been fun to meet in person! Please do make some suggestions!

Get out Google Maps and look up Crescent Lake

There is a paddlecraft friendly ( though used by powerboaters too) launch at the intersection of Plains Rd and rt 85. Paddle across to the eastern part of the lake where Bartlett Brook comes in and poke up it to see if the beaver are annoyed. There is one dam to surmount.. Maybe more. You can paddle around the lake and then go past the boat launch and enter the Tenney River which is a short one mile flat river between Panther Pond and Crescent. Usually lots of birds etc. When you go under the bridge at Camp Hinds thee with wooden boats or precious bottoms need to use the center channel. The right one can bite.

You can paddle down to the end of Panther Pond. Where it crosses Mill St there is another launch. A short hike brings you to the Mosquito for ice cream.

Return to start the same way. The entire trip is 12 miles or so and can be adjusted of course. Look for eagles nests and of course the loons are here.

If you want to see Islands launch at a hand carry place in Kettle Cove (Point Sebago Rd) . There is parking for six or seven cars.. Cruise the Dingley Islands and if you want to go up the Songo River( its called Crooked on the map) past Sebago St Pk to the Songo Locks.. a hand operated lock.. There is a launch there too and picnic tables. Not sure if the ice cream stand there is open This is a little longer trip maybe 15 miles because the Songo River is hardly straight.

Thanks yellowcanoe! Believe it or not, I was actually was thinking about Crescent/Tenney/Panther, which was written up in a book I have called Paddling Southern Maine. It would be nostalgic for me because I attended a summer camp on the western shore of the northern end of Crescent some 44 & 43 years ago and I haven't been back since! Do you happen to know whether there is currently adequate water in Tenney River to get down into Panther Pond? (This may change anyway starting Tuesday).

yes there always is adequate water. Never had to drag in 21 years! I am sorry to say Camp Agawam is closed this year. It is sad because I do miss the kids all enjoying the lake and the dinner bell always reminded me it was time to cook supper. You may be able to stop at the beach as the maintenance staff is still around and they may let you reminisce. We still have a lot of kids camps and some are in day camp mode and others like Camp Laurel South ( next to Agawam) are renting their cabins to visitors. I miss the tenters at Camp Hinds as the route goes past that camp too.

yes there always is adequate water. Never had to drag in 21 years! I am sorry to say Camp Agawam is closed this year. It is sad because I do miss the kids all enjoying the lake and the dinner bell always reminded me it was time to cook supper. You may be able to stop at the beach as the maintenance staff is still around and they may let you reminisce. We still have a lot of kids camps and some are in day camp mode and others like Camp Laurel South ( next to Agawam) are renting their cabins to visitors. I miss the tenters at Camp Hinds as the route goes past that camp too.

Thanks, yellowcanoe, that's reassuring to know about the water levels on Tenney.

I was at what is now known as Camp Laurel South. For many years before I went there in the 1970s and up until the mid-1990s or so, it was actually known as Camp Moosehead (even though it is on Crescent Lake, obviously, and not Moosehead Lake). It was owned by the Johnson family and when the heir apparent died young, they sold it to the "new" owners. It pretty posh back then, although I spent my final summer there living out of a two-man tent getting eaten by mosquitoes on a nightly basis, which made me think I was really roughing it! But I hear from former campers who have sent their kids there in recent years that the "new" owners have glamped it up considerably, which probably explains how they are able to rent their cabins out to visitors.

Ah yes. The Rich Kids Camp. The camp that has TWO wakeboard boats each worth $150,000 and the scourge of us who have docks. And the scourge of the loons when they are nesting in June with their four foot wakes.

You might consider just sticking with your memories. There are no more tents anymore. Camp is $15,000 for the full summer. They have a glitz website if you want to look.

Ah yes. The Rich Kids Camp. The camp that has TWO wakeboard boats each worth $150,000 and the scourge of us who have docks. And the scourge of the loons when they are nesting in June with their four foot wakes.

You might consider just sticking with your memories. There are no more tents anymore. Camp is $15,000 for the full summer. They have a glitz website if you want to look.

:eek:

We had nothing like that -- just an under-powered motor boat that struggled to tow one water skier at a time! I spent my time sailing & canoeing; power boats held no allure for me even then. I have seen the website and knew it had gone ever more upscale.

Back