• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

20 foot freighter canoe

Don't underestimate Mem. Now that he's eating hippy food and reverting back to his normal beefcake self I have no doubts he can flip that boat like it wasn't even there. I'm surprised he doesn't buy one of those super long Audi station wagons and just car top it.

Alan

Don't underestimate Mem. Now that he's eating hippy food and reverting back to his normal beefcake self I have no doubts he can flip that boat like it wasn't even there. I'm surprised he doesn't buy one of those super long Audi station wagons and just car top it.

Alan

I'm concerned that if he continues to eat hippy food he'll go to the dark side, pick up the devil's double blade, and start paddling a yak again. It could happen.

I'm concerned that if he continues to eat hippy food he'll go to the dark side, pick up the devil's double blade, and start paddling a yak again. It could happen.
Sure, about as likely as me battening wood with the Ripster, not gonna happen. I did port the freighter the other day, it's probably about 120 pounds, not the best cardio rehab, probably not sanctioned by Dr. Doogie Howser, but can't just stop living cause you might stop living, lol.

Flipping a 200 pound boat is not hard, gravity does most of the work, and I ain't got a thousand bucks for a boat trailer. I'm going to experiment soon, but I'm so danged busy, this retirement gig is wearing me out. Refurbishing two strippers that I am selling at the end of June, so I can get a new four stroke six horse for the beast. Also, my old cedar strip Raven is coming out of the garage and being completely redone, I'll need a solo now that I'm selling the Chum.

I am probably going to put a drain plug in this one, found a threaded brass plumbing thingy that I think will work well, epoxy it right into the transom.

Talking about going to the dark side, here's some Canadiana to start your morning, strong language warning though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_DR45Mtrsg

and I ain't got a thousand bucks for a boat trailer.

I figured there would be scads of old beat up worthless little aluminum boats up there with trailers under them for a couple hundred bucks.

Alan

Ha, exactly the opposite, people hang onto those like they're made out of gold. I'm keeping my eyes open for that elusive bargain though, just in case.

Take a quick road trip down here to Iowa and I've got a trailer I'd send back with you.

Alan

Anybody that can build beautiful, graceful looking wood strip canoes as you do, aught to be able to build a wood strip trailer to match.

Flipping a 200 pound boat is not hard, gravity does most of the work

Gravity, thou art a b*tch.

I rotated the 80 lb Appalachian upright on the sawhorses yesterday. Unsuccessfully; the graphite powdered skid plates are, in New England vernacular, “slippery as snot on a doorknob”.

Once the graphite powdered skid plate hit the crossbar Appy instantly leapt for freedom, sliding off the horses, bouncing off the floor and hitting me square in the shins on the rebound. 8.5’s all around on bouncing ability, 10’s on the lack of damage with an RX hull

Bloodied and bruised I recommend skipping graphite powder skid plates on the big arsed motor freighter.

Funny you should tell that story Mike, I'm redoing three canoes right now, flipped one of them over,(and it's only about 60 pounds) lost control and it fell onto a sharp pointy metal thingy, almost puncturing the hull. Perhaps I'll workout some kind of mechanical flipper over thingy, as my eyes might be bigger than my belly, in terms of estimating my flipping ability.

Starting to find some time to work on the freighter. This week is almost clear during the day, so I'm hoping to finish planking. Here is progress so far...
yNo1WgB.jpg

Also made the most excellent discovery that with a little bit of glue, round toothpicks perfectly fill the hole left by a #4 screw.
mr3dvUa.jpg

The biggest surprise of my retirement party came from my wife, who collected money from all my friends an co-workers and bought me a brand new 6 horsepower Suzuki 4 stroke for the new freighter. I can hardly contain myself now. Trying to wait till she goes to work before I disappear into the garage, don't want to make her a canoe widow, but I find myself skipping out at odd hours just to slap one more strip on.
Z49Bd8f.jpg

Looking good, I am following along with the build, looking forward to launch day pictures and/or epic motorized canoe trip.

WOW ! I've got to show this to MY Wife ! Well deep down, it would be a waste of time . But I'm Happy you have a new Suzie !

Now for the Stripping ! You are about to approach the Turn of the Bilge ! It appears you have switched to B&C on those last few strips. Also noted the strips are narrower. Good move !

Jim

The biggest surprise of my retirement party came from my wife, who collected money from all my friends an co-workers and bought me a brand new 6 horsepower Suzuki 4 stroke for the new freighter.
Z49Bd8f.jpg

Beats a gold watch all to heck.

Did you get the 2.5Hp Suzuki much above half throttle on the other 20 footer?

6 horse? Will there be photos of skinny Outer kids waterskiing behind the freighter?

The other square stern is only 17 1/2 Mike, and I get it up to full throttle every time I use it, lol. With the new improved me in it, I can get up to 14Kph. I think because it is a displacement hull, the addition of a whole bunch more weight doesn't effect the speed that much. Last year with a passenger and a full load for a seven day trip, I was still averaging around 12.5kph. I'm hoping for 20kph with the new big boat and the 6 horse. That's 12mph for those of you who are metrically challenged. Doesn't sound like much, but if I had hair, it would be streaming out behind me at that speed.

Last year with a passenger and a full load for a seven day trip, I was still averaging around 12.5kph. I'm hoping for 20kph with the new big boat and the 6 horse. That's 12mph for those of you who are metrically challenged. Doesn't sound like much, but if I had hair, it would be streaming out behind me at that speed.

Hopefully your bow passengers are dressed warmly. It should have occurred to me, but flying across the cold lake water at even 5 or 6 MPH into a light headwind is a lot more chilling than working a paddle or standing on shore.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?shva=1#inbox/FMfcgxwChJjqqGQgStLZtStNJKwvxSNq?projector=1

I was way too lightly dressed, even on a sunny day. With my shirt billowed out in the wind I was freezing my arse off.

I think you will like the Suzuki motor. A small motor pushes a canoe hull quite smartly but when loaded up heavy and going against the current more displacement is good. Here in Yukon and Alaska folks run 2 stroke 15HP's on a lift on the 19 foot Grumann's and don't feel over powered. Lot's of fast chutes to go up here though! For normal conditions a 6HP will be very good.

So this happened yesterday. Planking finished and several thousand 1/2 inch pieces of tooth picks inserted into the #4 screw holes.
tx8d3Vs.jpg

It's hard to see how big this thing is from the pic, but it could transport a wooly mammoth. I'm never building a canoe this big again, this is a one off for sure.

Holy moley that's big. Is this one of those fish photos where you hold it closer to the camera for a bigger better impression?!
How the H E double hockey sticks did you lift that?! Looks good though!
I once knew a guy who built a sailboat in his parents' garage. It turned out well I'm told, for the boat. But he hadn't planned ahead.
It didn't end well for the garage. How large is the door opening Mem?

Last edited:
Back