• Happy National Zipper Day (pat. 1913)! 🤐

20 foot freighter canoe

Rustoleum might make its appearance yet, lol, we'll see how the staining goes. Good to hear that Canotrouge has used it before. I'm still a ways off, but once I start stripping, the fever will set in. You know what I'm talk'n bout Alan....

"I'm still a ways off, but once I start stripping, the fever will set in. You know what I'm talk'n bout Alan...."

I'm afraid to even go there.

...but I will.
Please tell me you don't have a disco ball in that garage of yours.

night fever.jpeg - Click image for larger version  Name:	night fever.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	83.1 KB ID:	93164

And that there'll be NO glitter in the paint.

Last edited:
Ha ha, it's G-Town Brad, a night of whooping it up looks more like this......
iyFM8Yt.png

Got a lead on at 20' hull I'm going to look a Friday. Says it has new glass and just needs to be put back together with new gunnels and seats and stuff. Who knows, the supposedly 18' I bought last week was 16'.

Well I have to admit that did look a little bit enjoyable. I could almost smell the gas and 2 stroke oil; which brings back a lot of memories.

Only thing missing was the hiss of water spraying away from the hull rather than that highfalutin guitar.

Alan

Wow, that made my day, my 2-4 weekend, and my spring all in one boat ride. The little Zuke purrs. Really nice to see and hear. Aaaand a nice hat.
Not long till the last of the ice rots away and you can step ashore. I don't know about you but I could go for a boat ride most every evening.
Great video, the first of many I hope. Thanks for this.

Last edited:
Ya know, I'm on to something here. When I finish the big bugger, I think I'll set up the original forms and make a very light 15 footer with the idea of solo canoe tripping. So much energy left for the ports and camp set up when there's no paddling, lol.

Nice video Mem !

Reminds me of my old 10' Jon boat, and the 3 1/2 hp Evinrude. I could get it up on plane, by sitting just ahead of the rear seat ! I was 13, and felt like I was flying ! At the time I guessed it at around 13 mp/h.

Yes a memory shaker, of days gone by ! Thanks !

Jim

That video brought back memories of when the BWCA allowed motors on most lakes. Used a 20+' Grumman with a 5 horse.

Well, the fun has begun! Hard to get picks though, as the space I am working in is so dang small. Working with the 1/2 inch strips is a lot of fun, they are a lot more forgiving. I haven't used the bead and coved ones yet, will wait till I'm past the straight bits.

N1pQBx0.jpg

I can relate to working in tight places ! It looks AWESOME !
Just a little Jealous here !

Jim

Man that is going to be a beast. Looking forward to watching it come together. Curios, what are you going to use for a trailer?

Well, I'm going to try to improvise something on one of the the trailers I already have. Going to put two 4x4's across the rails to build a big rack, and transport it upside down. Thinking the weight will be around 200 pounds, so I should be able to flip it upright fairly easily and back it into the water. If that doesn't work, I'll have to look for a second hand boat trailer, lol.

Well, I'm going to try to improvise something on one of the the trailers I already have. Going to put two 4x4's across the rails to build a big rack, and transport it upside down. Thinking the weight will be around 200 pounds, so I should be able to flip it upright fairly easily and back it into the water. If that doesn't work, I'll have to look for a second hand boat trailer, lol.

Flip it back upright on the trailer racks, or how/where? With help? How high in the air will the top gunwale be when halfway flipped? Please take a video ;-o

I like the boat trailer idea. Two different friends have Clipper Mariners; the glass one is 220lbs.

http://www.clippercanoes.com/mariner/

Even with a multi-person crew it is wayyyy faster and easier to simply back the trailer near the water, unstrap the boat and launch 20 feet of canoe upright with a push.

The downside is that, leaving the beast on the trailer means parking it rain-and-snow protected under a roof, or making a storage cover.

The 200 pound wrestling show sounds counterintuitive to an otherwise laidback lifestyle. Treat it like a boat, which it basically is. Back it up and float yer boat etc.
And as far as trailering it rightside up, install a drain plug. Screw the fancy cover. Next thing ya know somebody will ask you to build them a cedar trip cigarrette boat. Which when you think about it is pretty cool. A G'town ciggy speedster. Player's naturally, unless you're a Du Maurier type of guy.

Last edited:
Back