• Happy Scream Day! 😱

20 foot freighter canoe

It's almost impossible to get photos of this beast in my garage. I finished varnishing the exterior (three coats of good old helmsmans, one more when it is all done), and will put on brass stem band tomorrow. Then get a crew to help lift it off and turn it rightside up. Maybe then I'll get some pics outside the garage to show the full size.
lO7uDtf.jpg

That’s a big boat Mem.
Are you going to do some extra stiffening on the bottom? It seems so big it looks like it will be prone to flex.
Jim

Are you going to do some extra stiffening on the bottom? It seems so big it looks like it will be prone to flex.

The original plan called for a 1 x 3 piece of oak built into the forms to run the length of the hull. The strips would be glued onto this. I thought about it, but decided against it. The strips are 1/2 inch thick and I have two layers of ten ounce on the bottom. When I flipped it over, I was worried about flex, but it is rock solid, all dimensions are correct. Once I get it sanded (two days of heck I figure), I'm going to do a football of six ounce on the inside, then I will run the ten ounce width wise, with generous over laps. I was thinking then of running a hardwood strip all the way down the centre, but the boat has a sharp V, I don't think it will work. So I will put shorter lengths of hardwood under the seats with posts running from the seat (3/4 inch ply) to the board on the bottom, and possibly one from a centre thwart. That's the plan right now, but it may change. Have to get that arduous sanding job done first.

My initial plan of trailering it upside down on my ski doo trailer will probably not work. My son and I moved it yesterday off the forms to flip over. Without any trim or inside glass, I'm guessing it is over 200 pounds already, so I'm speculating it will come in around 250 to 275. I'm gonna need a trailer. I didn't really comprehend the size until we flipped it over, and then I was somewhat freaked out, and wondered if I was entirely right in the head for building this thing.

Whenever I have conceived of building a new canoe, it was usually the result of some kind of perceived need. My wife is very paranoid about waves, and we like to go camping on some big lakes. When the women come camping with us, the canoes are always packed to the gunwales and riding low, which compounds the wind problems. A few times in the 17 foot square stern I built, she has been pretty nervous, so I wanted to build her a boat she would be comfortable in when we ran into wind. After I flipped it over yesterday, she was pretty much speechless, which was an odd and pleasant sensation. She also doesn't like to go fast in boats, so with the six horse, I don't think speed will be a problem. I had initially predicted 20 kilometres an hour with the six horse, but I am guessing now that maybe 12 to 15 might be realistic.

Anyway, back to the salt mines of sanding!

I don't see glue slathered all over the inside. Scraping and sanding should be minimized ! That will save a lot of time !

Yeah that does look like a big hull !

The fun is about to begin !

Jim

" Think maybe we used a little too much dynamite there Butch? "

Looks like testosterone got a toehold on this project and just took off. Epic is the only word that is adequate here. Honestly though I wouild have gone with twin 2.5s just to be that little bit over the top.

Ya know, it almost looks like you could have just done a wooden build with some varnish and skipped the glass. I would still do a keelson down the middle...just plane the angle onto the bottom side of it. If for nothing other than to support the seats with. This could almost have been made as a rib/plank like a peterborough boat.

Regardless...it looks really cool. I cant wait to see it on the water

My initial plan of trailering it upside down on my ski doo trailer will probably not work. My son and I moved it yesterday off the forms to flip over. Without any trim or inside glass, I'm guessing it is over 200 pounds already, so I'm speculating it will come in around 250 to 275. I'm gonna need a trailer. I didn't really comprehend the size until we flipped it over, and then I was somewhat freaked out, and wondered if I was entirely right in the head for building this thing.

Rob, two different friends have big freighters on trailers. Upright on trailers with rollers so they can just back the trailer up and slide/roll the canoe off. Neither have decent undercover storage, and both sometimes trailer their canoes considerable distances, so keeping it from filling up with rain in storage or transit was an issue.

One has a custom cover, which I am sure was pricey, but works very well, although it requires some attachment/detachment effort with a 22’ long cover.

The other had an idea which I abhorred when he first mentioned it. A drain plug set low in the transom. His desire was to be able to leave the motor in place and not have gas/oil detached motor transport leakage issues, and to have the motor freighter ready to go as soon as he backed the trailer into the water.

I was a lot less “egads no” when I saw what he had purchased and installed; a manufactured drain plug with two gasketed plates that bolt together through the transom and a plug that screw locks in place.

It mounts nearly flush with the transom, looks good and works well. If that is of interest I can ask him for the drain plug specifics.

Mike I was seriously considering a drain plug, but I just can't bring myself to do it. Fortunately, my son has an unused garage (except for the dozen canoes I have in it), so I will store it out of the elements, and while on the water carry a really big sponge.
3HDllae.jpg

Holy Gargantua and Brobdingnag!!! I'm glad someone is getting younger, stronger and richer. A 20' x 54" x 20" x 250 lb. paddlecraft. Good thing the Hulk survived Infinity Wars.

Now you need a 500 lb. trailer and 50 lb. motor. Oh, great fortune, you got a new 6 hp as present. Ah, c'mon, you need 25 horses for when you ditch the wife to go "solo paddling." Put a deck on that and you could race Sonny Crockett in the cigarette boat races off Miami Beach.

Seriously, it looks like it will be . . . fun fun fun now that daddy took the T-bird away.

I have always liked big canoes. My favorite so far have been an 18 1/2 foot Sawyer Charger in kevlar. It was deep and fast and very stable. A great downriver boat with a weeks supply of provisoins, two large paddles and a dog or two. Freighters are still common in the North. People lash them together and build a platform for a wall tent and go up and down the Yukon River.

I would not want to portage one. For the last 30 years I have been paddling an Old Town Guide 18 in wood and canvas. It weighs 92 pounds when it is dry. I use a trailer for it. Currently the canvas is off it and I may repair some ribs and fiberglass it.

Weather turned quite cold up here, and I have no heat in my garage. Today was supposed to get up to 17, so I had no choice but to fiberglass the interior. Problem was I had to work at 12:30, so I started at 7:AM and had to rush it. At 11:45 I was still not finished, but had to leave. Came back to several big outgas bubbles that were too far gone to fix, so will have to wait a day or two and sand them out and place patches over them. At this point, everything is a rush job as fall pushes in, temps are dropping, and I've had quite a few job offers. Plus my squeegie broke right away and I didn't have time to run to the store for a new one, so esthetics are out the door. The inside is as ugly as the ugliest thing I have ever built, but I don't even care anymore, I just want to get the dang thing on the water before ICE-UP! Saw me off and call me shorty if I ever build anything this big again!!!!!!!!!!!

Memaquay,
I hope you never have to portage it. In Maine they used to build Lakers for the big lakes. Same in the North Woods. What size outboard do thinnk will be right to push it? Staggering dimensions, 24 feet, 50 inch beam and 20 inches deep could be out in some major wavage.

I keep thinking about Roosevelt Lake behind Grand Collee Dam in Washington State. It is 182 miles long, the damed up Columbia River.
I am thinking about three canoes lashed together about 7 feet apart with a plywood deck, a mast, lawn chairs and an outboard to push it.

I an old family Johnson outboard 1.5 hp motor from 1929. It runs but is hard to start. It likes oil at 16:1.
Maybe a 5 hp. I have a Honda on my fising boat as a kicker motor but it probably too big at 8 hp.

Last edited:
You are not far off on my motor selection, Mr. Pine. I have a new six horse for it, although after looking at the boat again last night, I'm wondering if a 9.9 might not have been better. Hopefully I will find out in a week or so. We have a very long lake close to town, it's actually called Long Lake, lol, and is close to 50 miles long. Next summer I'm hoping to circumnavigate it with the freighter. My buddy wants me to take a run up the Albany river with him two, it would be about a five day round trip, but i would need to upgrade the motor, as it is all upstream for the first part. Portaging is out of the question, unless I can find a time machine for both me and my buddy. Twenty years ago, the two of us might have been able to do it. Now, I'm looking for a boat trailer, lol.

Well, rolled the canoe out of the garage today, it wasn't easy. First put come-along-straps attached to ceiling to raise it off the strong back.
hYcC3dk.jpg

Then dragged the strongback out and took it over to a friend who wanted it.
bY3F2Wv.jpg

Rolled my trailer in and under and dropped it on the newly carpeted supports, then drove it into the drive way.
xldgad9.jpg

Flipping it over was a struggle, but I did it myself. Attached a rope to the far side of the gunwale, pulled really hard and then slid it down. Probably feel it tomorrow..
2zFFiUL.jpg

Didn't have a single beer during the construction of this beast, it consumed all my time for four months. Having a celebratory beer now. Launch will be on Saturday. Stay tuned for pics.
EFa0Ir3.jpg

ha ha Robin, that gave me a chuckle. That's my wife's insane dog. Thinks it's a wolverine, so is constantly getting eaten by big dogs. Maybe one day a large dog wont choke on the foul taste and actually swallow it, making the world a better place.

Back