• Happy National Audubon Day! 🐣🐦🦅🕊️

Your credit card may cover car rental insurance to lower costs...

This is still a special place as Mem pointed out yesterday.
I found frozentripper's post very informative. I just came back from a trip in the midwest, I rented a car in Duluth Minnesota. I spent a month wondering what happens if I hit a deer or a wild turkey with this little Asian rocket? Will my policy cover a major ding, should I have paid for the additional fee to make sure I was covered.
Not all posts interest all of us, we can either read them or not. I read them all, comment on only the ones that are of interest me, of course that's just me.
..........BB

Thanks for your understanding words BB... I've enjoyed reading from the various posters here and I agree, Canoetripping.net's special and does have some really nice people. Like Grandpa Paddler's offer to show me places to overnight while in New York state... out of the blue in a thread on cross-border shopping IIRC, it may or may not have been canoe-related, but hey, something like that adds some real warmth to the day.

Hoping to return those good vibes one day whenever we do meet up canoeing, maybe in Florida, I'll be driving a high-mileage rental most likely... cheers, here's to running from the winter white stuff!

I write from the view that the virtual campfire has its bandwidth limits. I think we ought to respect that and confine our remarks to the more germane.
More chatter uses bandwidth and i for one don't have deep pockets .
I'll think about that next time donation time comes

You may also want to check with your car insurance guy to see ifthat policy covers you. I've never purchased the extra insurance and I don't pay to have my wife as a second driver because my ins. agent said she is covered too.

Iowangle, travel insurance might also cover rentals... since the loss/damage/collision expenses can get so high if something bad happens on a trip, it's best to check everything out to be sure.

Credit card coverage against rental loss/damage/collision can be primary or secondary... primary meaning that all costs are covered without involving your own vehicle insurance, secondary meaning the CC will cover what your own vehicle insurance won't, which might be the deductible. Primary CC coverage is probably best for those that don't own a vehicle, and don't already have insurance but check out all the possibilities.

Also some types of vehicles won't be covered by the credit card, like luxury cars, trucks, and business use only vehicles might not be either.

The rental car business has had some pretty bad stories in the news with staff overlooking dents and scratches during the pre-rental inspection and then noticing them when the rental's returned. In that case the credit card coverage against the scratch/dent could be a $1000-plus moneysaver... good luck out there.

Last edited:
We've rented vehicles over the years, usually because we either didn't own a car big enough or nice enough for the occasion. But it's been awhile since then. Speaking of occasion, I've been thinking about renting a 4x4 truck for a canoe trip for some access points but the price of driving a truck for 2 days just to park it for 7, and possibility of minor damage deters me. We'll see if I ever come to my senses or take leave of them.
IIRC our own car insurance additionally covered all car rental insurance. Always read the fine print and ask questions questions questions.

Well Robin has deemed this thread OK but in many cases canoe trips and rental vehicles do not mix.. First you can't usually put a canoe on the roof without risk of damaging the vehicle even if its s slight scrape.
Check the rental agreements. I know of very few good canoe trips that are only on paved road. Most prohibit the vehicle from being off paved roads. We ran into this time and time again when we were in Alaska and asking about the condition of dirt roads from other RV'ers.. Many of them rented and said they were bound to pavement via their rental contract.. We have our own little RV and went ahead and traveled those roads... In bliss and alone.
We rented a car long ago and after covering it totally in ash ( we were near Mount St Helens) we noticed the fine print.. Do not use off pavement.
We spent a lot of money pre return getting that sucker detailed.

Spam?

I believe we've had threads specifically about Spam. Probably by the Canadians, who also put gravy on french fries, which they probably buy with credit cards, if not wampum.

More seriously, I don't think the issue is whether a post or topic is informative, but whether it's relevant to the site's subject matter. It's not a big deal to me and I don't personally really care, but I don't see why books or winter camping are more relevant to canoe tripping than kayaking is. Those topics just seem to be personal hobbies of some posters here who like to talk about them. Maybe we should just have an OT forum.

I'll think about that next time donation time comes

Don't worry, I would close the site down before I ever take a dime from you.

.... but I don't see why books or winter camping are more relevant to canoe tripping than kayaking is. Those topics just seem to be personal hobbies of some posters here who like to talk about them. Maybe we should just have an OT forum.

There will never be kayaks or OT, if you so upset about the way the site is run that you have to mouth off about this stuff, don't come here anymore. I for one won't miss your attitude.

One more complaint from either of you and I shut you off.
And if you complaine about this I'll just delete it and shut you off.

Frozentripper-Last time I'm telling you, if you even think your next cut and paste could be off topic with nothing to do with the site, well, the same goes for you.

Back