• Happy Tear the Tags Off the Mattress Day! 🛏️✂️🏷️🚔🚨👮

Yet another tempting chair for the back country

I have my Equinox chair and love love love it. Saves my hips and back and tonne of pain. Proof is in the sitting here. $200USD is cheap if it's quality, lasts through camping abuses and makes your comfort while out and about priority.

Yoga has become a big part of our lives. My wife practises yoga every day, and I avoid it. One of these days she'll get it right, but in the meantime I vacate the basement rec room/yoga studio with it's smoking incense and freaky music and find solace and comfort in my living room reading chair. Or the kitchen reading chair. Or the back porch Adirondack chair. She keeps inviting me to join her but I tell her I'm already pretty good at slow controlled breathing and rolling around on a thin mat on the ground. We just got back from camping, remember? Which brings me to our camping situation.
We were happy with our MEC Senate Seats till this last trip. I don't know if the ground is getting harder or my arse is getting softer, but something has to change. She still does the yoga thing down near the shore with her pretty face in the sun, while I unfold my "chair" up next the fire, on a rocky promontory, or in a mossy spot, trying to get comfortable. Comfort doesn't come. I figure I've narrowed down my options to either a) buy a newer better chair with support and actual legs, or b) take up yoga...or c) stand up more and sit down less. All of a sudden the chair prices don't scare me so much.
I'm actually thinking of making one of these. http://www.core77.com/posts/35614/The-Worlds-Oldest-Simplest-Chair-Design

Brad. I have test sat in one of those. You'll need a massage therapist after your trip if you use one

Brad. I have test sat in one of those. You'll need a massage therapist after your trip if you use one

I was thin king the same, the only position is slouching, and that after a 10 day trip I don't think I would be able to get out of bed in the morning!!

To each their own, but:

$170 to $220? Not even with a Lifetime warranty against any and all failures.
I believe I would need assistance getting my bulk out of that deep pouch seat.
The little ball feet seem problematic is sand or soft soil.
No arm rests. I like armrests
At my weight I would likely destroy one of those in short order.

A smaller, lighter friend loves that style UL chair, enough to have purchased dang near every variation that has come out in the past few years. Each has had their own design flaw, and none have lasted beyond a season’s use. OK, a season for him is 200+ days use, including tough-on-gear clients. But he keeps trying for the perfect UL chair.

I’ll be shopping for a new chair soon. The famed wind chair suffered a catastrophic frame failure on a recent trip. I had early on replaced the typical failure point, the flimsy pop rivet that holds the front of the X frame together, with a ¼” SS bolt. That held over the course of 4 years, but the rest of the chair’s stitching and fabric reinforcements were getting pretty tattered when one plastic frame connector destructed on uneven ground.

There was some raucous activity going on and two other camp chairs suffered similar failures. On a positive note the other two were not mine, both were a friend’s. Or actually a friend’s wife’s; he was kind of sheepish about having snuck them out of the house.

No Title

This is my favorite chair. I can slouch all day in it. If the trees are too far apart, you can still prop your legs up on the ropes.

Attachments

• photo5438.jpg
    photo5438.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo5439.jpg
    photo5439.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 0
This is my favorite chair. I can slouch all day in it. If the trees are too far apart, you can still prop your legs up on the ropes.

I love our Enos and Travel-hammocks for day lounging, reading, napping or just watching the wind in the boughs, and set one up wherever there are trees. That's a lot of comfort for a ditty bag the size of a softball.

But I still want something for under the tarp, around the fire or conversing in a companion circle.

Does nobody use Crazy Creek chairs anymore? Cheap, versatile, and compact (and they don't sink into the dirt). And they add additional padding and insulation for sleeping.

You cannot have a canoe hull that spins on a dime, tracks as if on rails, withstands extreme rock bashing, and is extremely light weight. So also, I don't believe there is such a thing as an extremely light weight chair that is comfortable to sit in, easy to get out of, capacious for large people, and rugged.

At my age and poor condition, I want-need a chair that has a normal seat height and width, not a ground hugger or butt sagger. Arm rests are not only a necessity, but they must be solid arm rests that you can push down upon hard when lifting out of the chair. So it must be strong. I also like to recline. Therefore, while the rest of my kit is fairly Spartan and light -- especially compared to some of the moving van loads I see here -- I compromise on weight and bulk for my chair.

I have two earlier versions of the GCI Outdoor Recliner, which has all the features I like, including a drum-tight seat due to the patented tension bar.

To each their own, but:

$170 to $220? Not even with a Lifetime warranty against any and all failures.
I believe I would need assistance getting my bulk out of that deep pouch seat.
The little ball feet seem problematic is sand or soft soil.
No arm rests. I like armrests
At my weight I would likely destroy one of those in short order.

A smaller, lighter friend loves that style UL chair, enough to have purchased dang near every variation that has come out in the past few years. Each has had their own design flaw, and none have lasted beyond a season’s use. OK, a season for him is 200+ days use, including tough-on-gear clients. But he keeps trying for the perfect UL chair.

I’ll be shopping for a new chair soon. The famed wind chair suffered a catastrophic frame failure on a recent trip. I had early on replaced the typical failure point, the flimsy pop rivet that holds the front of the X frame together, with a ¼” SS bolt. That held over the course of 4 years, but the rest of the chair’s stitching and fabric reinforcements were getting pretty tattered when one plastic frame connector destructed on uneven ground.

There was some raucous activity going on and two other camp chairs suffered similar failures. On a positive note the other two were not mine, both were a friend’s. Or actually a friend’s wife’s; he was kind of sheepish about having snuck them out of the house.

I'm 220 pounds now was 240 not that long ago and have been using one of these https://travelchair.com/products/joey-chair-7789 for over 3 years now and never had a problem, we have 2 of them, and same goes for BIL that is larger than me.... Almost unsinkable feet even in sand other than the most loose dry sand out there. Awesome service to top it up!! Good support for the back and easy in and out!! Relatively cheap and quite light also pack small!!

I have a pair of Crazy Creek's, and enjoy the back support in the canoe, but do not enjoy being on the ground in camp.
Also enjoy my diy hammock sling chair similar to the one Seeker showed, but I can't move it around a fire when the wind shifts, or move up to a fire to cook, or enjoy a group gathering circle around a fire.
Been looking at this chair. Won't sink into sand or mud. Rated at 350lb. capacity. Weight is 2.6 lb. with the terra-feet, in a small easily packed size.
Anyone have any experience with this specific chair?

https://www.amazon.com/WildHorn-Out...&keywords=terralite+portable+camp+chair&psc=1

do not enjoy being on the ground in camp.

I’m with you there. I really want my arse more than 6 inches off the ground, and would even if I could get out of a low slung mini-folder.

Been looking at this chair. Won't sink into sand or mud. Rated at 350lb. capacity. Weight is 2.6 lb. with the terra-feet, in a small easily packed size.
Anyone have any experience with this specific chair?

https://www.amazon.com/WildHorn-Out...&keywords=terralite+portable+camp+chair&psc=1

At $55 I might be interested, if only for use as a daypaddle/dayhike butt repository; the big windchair is overkill outside of stationary camp use. Maybe as a “have-a-seat-friend” chair, or as a spare.

In buggy areas I like to prop my legs and feet up ottoman style off the ground away from the ankle biters, and the lid of the 30L barrel is a bit higher than I’d like. A spare mini-chair would work for that as well, and give me a backup in case of catastrophic primary failure.

I would hate not to have a chair for days on end. By the time we had suffered three group-trip chair failures we were down to one of those silly triangular 3 legged milking stool ball crushers. Thanks, I’ll just stand.

I'm 220 pounds now was 240 not that long ago and have been using one of these https://travelchair.com/products/joey-chair-7789 for over 3 years now and never had a problem.
Awesome service to top it up!! Good support for the back and easy in and out!! Relatively cheap and quite light also pack small!!

I am kind of interested in something like those, and don’t mind paying once for a quality product. But $85 isn’t for a camp chair cheap to me. $55 isn’t really either.

The “awesome service” and guarantee/warranty would be an important factor; I am suspect of any lightweight folder’s long-term dependability when used as a primary camp chair on rough terrain, soft sand or uneven ground.

I really don’t care as much about weight as guaranteed durable construction in a more easily packable size.

Suggestions? Best/most rugged of the packable folding chairs?

I'm 220 pounds now was 240 not that long ago and have been using one of these https://travelchair.com/products/joey-chair-7789 for over 3 years now and never had a problem, we have 2 of them, and same goes for BIL that is larger than me.... Almost unsinkable feet even in sand other than the most loose dry sand out there. Awesome service to top it up!! Good support for the back and easy in and out!! Relatively cheap and quite light also pack small!!

I've been using an Alite Monarch 2 legged ultralight chair for quite a few years and it served me well. Now in my 60s and decided it was time to get a 4 leg chair that wasn't such a ground hugger. Picked up one of those Joey chairs this past spring and its been a treat to use. I believe it was about $70 on Amazon. Worth every penny for me.

On canoe trips we Canadians make every effort to confine our amorous activities to the floor of the canoe. Some of the softer of us insist on unrolling a closed-cell foam pad over the cedar ribs first. Some folks actually refer to the unrolling ritual as "foreplay". The softest of us use self-inflating Thermarests and "neo-air" pads. Of course those techniques are attracting criticism from the growing "bushcraft" school who insist, perhaps rightly so, on using nothing thicker than a #10 canvas tarp or old woollen blanket between wooden ribs and bare back. The most extreme (dare I say "zealots"?) go as far as to advocate lining the floor of the boat with freshly cut spruce and cedar saplings. I suspect, but obviously can't prove, that some, perhaps most, of the chair "failures" referred to in this thread were the result of overly liberal attitudes, probably American left-wing in origin, most surely urban rather than rural, regarding the appropriate canoe trip setting within which one might express one's affections. A "Stargazer", a "Helinox", a "Joey" were never created to withstand the active forces at work during amorous play. The label on the Helinox even carries a disclaimer on its warranty: "This chair is only to be used by one person at a time." In other words, the company will not re-imburse you in the event of chair failure, i.e. if there is even the slightest evidence of the chair having been subjected to wanton behaviour, whether spontaneous or pre-meditated. This effectively prohibits any and all dancing upon a loved one's lap while seated. But why are we even having this conversation? Whatever happened to good old-fashioned common sense?

Back