• Happy International Mermaid Day! 🧜🏼‍♀️

What is your favorite go to DSLR lens for canoe trips?

Reaction score
I want a new something for night shots and close ups that give good bokeh. I am done with the kit lens for my Canon Rebel. 18-55. My complaint is that at low light levels the f 3.5 is insufficient for closeups. I do lots of shooting at about dark. And the lens generally has blurry optics.

Hi again,
I use a 50mm prime lens. The canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II. It's the inexpensive lens as some of the primes are too pricey for me. I'm clumsy so breaking lenses is a real possibility for me.
I also have a Meike AF Auto Focus Macro Extension Tube - three tubes with AF circuitry.
I want to buy that circular flash but don't have the available cash at this time.
cheers Ted

I might ask Santa for the 1.4 lens. Already I am wearing out the plastic screw on the kit lens. The 1.4 has a metal screw from what I understand. I expect my lenses to hang around after the camera body is dead. Or I upgrade the body.

My go to lens is my Nikon 18-200 VR...it's fast enough for me most of the time and can't be beat for sharpness and clarity.
Only drawback is the weight, lens and body weigh in at 3.7 lbs!!
But I never travel without it, whether back country skiing or whitewater paddling, it's always with me...

Last edited:
I find that the Nikon 18-200 VR is the lens I use 99 percent of the time. It's rated at f3.5 to f5.6 depending on the focal length used. The slowness is not a problem unless you are shooting action. Otherwise the vibration reduction feature allows you to shoot stills at very long exposures with no bluring. Price may be a problem because this lens sells for around $800. Sounds like a lot, but you won't need to invest in a whole family of lenses.

My most used paddlin' lens is the Nikon 16-85 VR. Combined with the 70-300 VR it gives me a nice portable kit and covers the bases quite well. With the VR and a good solid brace I can usually get low light shots without too much issue.

Back