• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

​What have you forgotten on a trip?

G

Ha, nothing, I pack from a list!

Obviously not true. I (ummm, “We”) have forgotten things, including the kids clothes on one trip.

We were on a longish wandering road trip that included a week paddling the Adirondacks. The kid’s clothes were in stuff bags, ready to be dry bagged when we launched.

I was seriously not even out of my canoe at the campsite landing before my wife discovered our children would be naked more often than usual. Which, at that age, was saying something. I unloaded my boat, paddled back to the launch for the missing stuff bags and paddled back to camp, turning a 6 mile day into 18.

On the good side camp was neatly set up when I returned, so that was a win.

On the weird side we had chatted with the paddling Ranger at the far end of the lake just before making camp and he was perplexed when I encountered him once again later in the day as I began paddling back.

I have witnessed lots of companion’s memorable forgotten gear mishaps. Friend R borrowed a canvas wall tent and poles from his sister. Sadly, not the right poles for that tent. He, his girlfriend and eventually a helpful group of a dozen friends tried every dang which way to use those poles with that tent.

Nope, no way, no how, not gonna happen, so the tent was eventually tied and strung sort of upright with haul lines tossed over nearby branches. It was a sad, crumpled rumple of semi-erect canvas, the Salvador Dali of canvas wall tents.

It looked much worse the following morning when R and his girlfriend slept in, and his companions hatched a plan to release all the haul lines on a silent one-two-three NOW count.

I have a photo of R emerging rather disheveled from that pile of canvas. He looks hung over and unhappy.

He should have used a list, and checked it twice.

Tent poles! Slept under the stars that night and woke up more than a bit soggy from the morning dew. Hal once forgot his entire food bag. Good thing we had plenty between the rest of us! Bailer which doubles as...well a urinal while in the middle of the lake. Unfortunate for me it was a lake trip and adult beverages were in play. I increased my mileage that day from multiple trips to the shoreline, no way was I gonna try to relieve myself over the edge of the gunwale!

Not often, but once along time ago, I forgot tent poles... Once tente pegs, an easy fix though!! Ho and once on a big trip where every one cook one night we forgot the pork chop.... I sometime forget to bring enough clothing, i think I will be fine as I pack up and end up on the verge of enough!!

But nothing crazy like forgetting the kid at home, or the canoe on the rack or paddles.... Food box or kitchen!!

Christy realized she had forgotten the toilet paper when we got to our first campsite 5 hours from the truck. 10 day trip, moss works really well and is more bio-degradable.

I'm famous for giving the wife a goodbye kiss, then returning home a few minutes later to pack something I forgot. I have been known to do this 3-4 times before getting more than 10 miles out of town. Beyond that I will stop to buy replacement stuff on the way (assuming my canoe and most smaller expensive items are actually with me).

Stove and fire permit.. once.. This was on the Moose River Bow trip.. and tp multiple times. My raison d'etre for multiple lists.. One list has too many things and my eye can skip over a whole section..

TP was next to Marine Radio when I did a big blob list.. I don't take Marine Radio on all my trips.

Salt.
Cutlery.
Wine glasses.
Harmonicas.
Rain jackets.
Light jackets.
Maps.
Charger cable for our InReach.
Spare paddle.
Throw bag (!).
Recently we forgot our PFDs and realized it as we were driving up the 400. Called Swift Canoe and Kayak and rented a couple on our way north.

I make lists, too. Just a scatterbrain I guess.

Tent poles, cooking utensils, gun and bear spray, and paddles.

Paddles often.

I mean I bring them, but because they are in carpeted locked box built into the back of the truck I sometimes overlook them when packing the canoe and will be loaded and ready to launch before I notice “Uhhh, no paddles. . . . “

Fortunately so far no one has driven off with the truck to set shuttle before I’ve noticed. Jinx.

Paddles, fishing tackle, utensils, and food. I left my house on long Island headed to lows lake once, turned onto sunrise hwy, only to realize the cooler holding 5 lbs of bacon along with some other things fell out of the back of the pickup. (Now i tripple check the tailgate) It was flattened by some semi traffic. Salvaged the cooler though. When I made it to my father's house near Watertown, ny and bought 5 more lbs of bacon and put it in the freezer for the night. When I stopped in Tupper to refill the ice, I realized that the 5 lbs of bacon was still in the freezer back at Dads. Had to buy 5 more lbs in Tupper! That was the most expensive trip I have ever had, that was the year of the pig shortage and bacon was well over 5 bucks a pound. Even more pricey than buying a new BB bent shaft at Raquette river outfitters when dad forgot his paddle. (I left it behind so he split the cost with me for his early birthday present)

Jason

At what point does it count as forgotten? En route to the put-in, I've made more than one stop at Ace, or Walmart, or the grocery store to pick up items like rope, shoes, or food. Driving along, and suddenly it pops in my head--forgot the rice!

I forgot the stove on a 10-day, St. Johns river trip. All our food was stuff that had to be cooked, and I'm talking about cooking, not just boiling water. Whole chicken, leg of lamb, that kind of thing. Bacon and eggs and biscuit for breakfast foods. Fortunately, fires are allowed on the St. John. It just meant meals took longer and more effort. Then one evening we had a heck of a storm with raging wind, pounding rain, and to then a layer of sopping wet snow. My camp mates' tent got blown down with the predictable result that most of their stuff got wet. We really struggled to get a fire going the next morning, taking until noon. We think we are good fire makers, but guess we lacked the "bushcraft" to get a fire going with nothing but wet kindling. Meanwhile there was a lot of teeth-rattling going on. Also, a lot of wishing I didn't forget the dang stove.

I've yet to forget the liquor.

I've yet to forget the liquor
and that is a good thing since its presence probably saved your hide. Nothing like a spring trip on the St John.. Done that but I was assigned day five of our outing.. I don't remember what I made but it was dehydrated and everyone loved it.

Yes we had wet and snow.. Nothing like running the rapid above NW Cabin in a snowstorm when 12 people wore glasses. They couldn't see the rapid without glasses and the snow stuck to the glasses so they couldn't see the rapid with glasses. We pulled out at the cabin. Overnight 14 inches.

The entertainment in the cabin came when the stove on makeshift legs got loose ( legs collapsed)and with a fire in it rolled across the quite unlevel floor.. We had 13 people packed in it and the door only took one at a time to exit.

Worst thing I've personally forgotten was a spoon, easily improvised. But my young teen daughter forgot her sleeping bag one year... We were just coming into the last town before the put-in when she looked over at me with a horrified look and told me. Kinda my fault for not checking, but she was 14... I briefly considered buying the cheapest bag at the outfitter there in town, but my cousin was coming up the next day to join us anyway, and I thought she'd learn a lesson in improvisation and responsibility if I just loaned her all my extra clothing for the night... So that's what we did. I pulled over and called my cousin and my mom to arrange pickup, then we just bundled her up well that night with every extra layer we had... she was fine.

Two years later, she packed for herself, and I rented her her own solo canoe to do the St Regis with... all I did that trip was cook for her... the rest she did on her own, and passed the "test" with flying colors. We still laugh about the bag.

On one trip I packed a couple different alcohol stoves to play with but forgot the fuel!! We typically cook over fire anyway so it wasn't a problem. I think on another trip I brought the fuel but no stove.

I dont really forget camping gear as I pack my gear in one Boundary Backpack! When I get to the launch I just slip the pack behind my seat under the rear deck and go! I did forget lures on last trip though! I only use 1/16 ounce or 1/8 ounce Little Cleos so I bought some on the way!

went on my first paddle trip after shoulder surgery, and brought a double blade paddle which was much easier on my shoulder. The problem was I have 2 double paddles and brought mis-matching halves! I had to greatly limit my "tripping" to short, easy jaunts with my single blade.
Turtle

Back