• Happy National Blueberry Pie Day! 🫐🥧

​What have you forgotten on a trip?

I would have said a first trip or even a forced second trip back to the glories of the Trinity Alps was worth whatever the cost!

I agree with that sentiment. Just driving though "normal" stuff in the West is more spectacular than almost any of the natural tourist attractions in the East. To say nothing of the gorgeous year-round weather. I should have quit my job and stayed in northern California rather than accepting a transfer back East.

I ran the Trinity River with my novice tandem partner at the time back in '81. In those days, there was really wasn't much information on the river in print. I recall Ann Dwyer gave me the name of a guy familiar with the Trinity and called him from my home then in San Jose. I recall his most definitive message: Under no circumstance enter Burnt Ranch Gorge unless you want to die. We didn't enter, but a couple of years later Bob Foote became the first open canoeist to run that section.

I always wanted to re-run the Trinity as I became a much better whitewater paddler, but by then I had moved to Woodstock, NY.

My 2004 trip into the Trinity Alps, along the Trinity River, with my outrigger canoe triggered all those pleasant memories of my novice run 23 years earlier. I looked at our put-in and take-out and at Burnt Ranch Gorge from on high. I desperately wanted to re-run the Trinity, but could not possibly attempt it in a 22 foot outrigger canoe. So, I vowed I would return again with an appropriate canoe. That's one minor reason I purchased my Hemlock SRT, which can run class 2- 3 whitewater competently as well as being a great lake canoe.

But I've never returned since my three rides by the Trinity in 2004 with and without my iakos. It now seems impossible that I will ever return. John and I also did part of the Klamath River on the trip in '81. That's another beautiful creation of god that I'll never see again. The coastal rivers of northern California are beautiful. There's nothing like paddling through a redwood forest.

I agree with that sentiment. Just driving though "normal" stuff in the West is more spectacular than almost any of the natural tourist attractions in the East. To say nothing of the gorgeous year-round weather. I should have quit my job and stayed in northern California rather than accepting a transfer back East.

IThere's nothing like paddling through a redwood forest.

Having grown up at the gates of Yosemite NP, it was always a surprise when my outdoor adventure loving father took all of us anywhere else, but the northern coast and mountain areas were a wonderful alternative. We were rarely on the water in those days unless we were swimming or exploring the wonderful stream areas on foot. You are right on about the 'normal' stuff in the West- mountains, ocean, lakes, desert, high desert...it's all so different from back east. Thanks for tickling my memories on that.

My last driving trip out there I was surprised at all the changes, happy to see alot of the old towns character still in place, but heard a few stories about culture clashes as the new economies, people and money moved in.

No Title

Hmmm. The glorious weather.
Not th8s year
Southern BC full of smoke and fire
Can't breathe
Washington Idaho Montana
Full of fire
People fleeing
Backcountry travel prohibited
Finally when we got to SD we could breathe
We have not been in rain since Aug 15
Truck covered in ash