• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

What are you reading?

On a recent trip west to visit family I had the chance to wander through a museum; it was after-all a child friendly exhibit so the adults weren't the least bit bothered if I and the grandkids touched stuff. Perfect. While grandson was testing his pitching arm with foam blocks at a simulated stream granddad was reading all about clouds, rainfall and weather patterns; and there I spied a Robert Frost poem on a wall. We all love Robert Frost don't we? ( Stopping By The Woods On A Snowy Evening one of my favourites .)These few lines described my April days beautifully:
Dust Of Snow

The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree

Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.
Robert Frost​

Today I found in a used bookstore a copy of The Road Not Taken, A Selection Of Robert Frost Poems, and am now catching up on more works by this great American poet.

I rereading The Survival of the Bark Canoe... I like that book quite a bit!!
I also just got the book This old canoe...

Halfway through this book and really enjoying Birchbark Canoe, Life Among the Algonquin. Starting in 1978 the author David Gidmark intensively studied the language, culture and crafts of an Algonquin couple, William and Mary Commanda of Maniwaki Quebec, culminating in his learning the skills and patience of birchbark canoe building, also taught to him by Jocko Carle and Basil Smith.

Thank you, Forum Members for sharing your good recommendations of books to read. Today my wife brought me a book from the Fairbanks Borough Public Library. NORWEGIAN WOOD Chopping, Stacking, and Drying Wood The Scandinavian Way by Lars Mytting. I didn't think there wasn't much about firewood that I didn't know. My earliest memories are of making firewood on the farm, for both heating and cooking. I just love this book, my wood burning friends are getting this book for Christmas, that's how good this book is. Give it a read.

Plus one, on John Gierach, I don't think you even have to enjoy fly fishing with a bamboo fly rod to really like his writing. Each chapter is different, so good books to read in the the bed. Read a chapter and fall asleep, if you are like me you will dream of vermiculated backs and red spots with blue haloes of brook trout. John is kinda like a modern era Samuel Langhorne Clemens, a humorist/philosopher.

Zorba the Greek. It's kind of like reading my own biography and so far not in a good way. Can't wait to see how I end.

Alan

Just finished Barkskins by Annie Proulx. The book covers the lives and deaths of many generations of two families beginning in the 17th century in New France, later spanning the world, always tied to the timber industry. Good read.

Nick Karas' "Brook Trout."
Very comprehensive.
Just one thing bugged me...twice he mentions the Oliocene Epoch as being 100,000 years ago. 👎🏻

Houseboat Chronicles - Notes from a Life in Shield County, Jake MacDonald. Extremely well written and clever. This book is so wide-ranging, maybe the best way to describe it is to give two example of passages that I thought particularly good:

Talking about the wilderness code of keeping one's cool no matter what, MacDonald tells of one night on the Great Slave Lake when he heard the camp Norseman plane crash in the lake, and the comments of the crew as they were rescued from the frigid lake. "Maybe people felt obliged to keep their cool under these circumstances because they knew their performance was being observed and would be recounted in bars for years afterward." Pg. 196.

"But the building of the drum was a ritual the Catholics call 'transubstantiation,' that is, a process by which a material object (such as bread) is transformed into the body of Christ. To the Ojibway, the sound of the drum drifting across the lake on a quiet summer night was the thumping of the Creator's heart." Pg. 205

I found this book while browsing the nature/science section at 2nd and Charles used bookstore (36 locations in the U.S.). I like browsing large selections of used books because I find books like this one that I would probably never otherwise hear about, and I like to be able to inspect the size of the type, and quality of the printing (info which is not available online AFAIK). I am especially dismayed when a used hard cover book arrives in the mail and it has small-type, is poorly printed, or is ex-library.

I don’t recall who here recommended it, but the current read is David McCullough’s The Wright Brothers.

https://www.amazon.com/Wright-Broth...501524007&sr=1-1&keywords=The+Wright+Brothers

Another excellent non-fiction recommendation from the Canoe Tripping crowd.

The pick it up and read a snippet at a time book is Max Decharne’s Vulgar Tongues.

https://www.amazon.com/Vulgar-Tongu...qid=1501524171&sr=1-1&keywords=Vulgar+Tongues

A comprehensive and well documented history of slang. I wouldn’t want to sit and read the entire thing in one sitting, but as a bits & pieces, open it to any page book it is highly entertaining.

Probably a good bathroom book, if you are into that.

I always meant to recommend "The Sea Runners" by Ivan Doig even though I read it some years ago. Inspired by a real incident: Indentured servants escape from a Russian fort in Alaska in a canoe and make their way down the coast. In this book Doig employs a lyrical style of his own. Great read.

I always meant to recommend "The Sea Runners" by Ivan Doig even though I read it some years ago. Inspired by a real incident: Indentured servants escape from a Russian fort in Alaska in a canoe and make their way down the coast. In this book Doig employs a lyrical style of his own. Great read.

I agree on this one. Might be time to find it and add it to the collection. Anything by Doig really. His reality and take on it is engrossing. "This house of sky" "Winter Brothers", "Dancing at the Rascal Fair"... And guys like Rick Bass as well.

This book could also be posted on the "History book recommendations" thread, I suppose, but....

The Book on the Bookshelf/ Henry Petroski

"...as simple as the bookshelf might appear to be as an object of construction and utility,
the story of its development, which is intertwined with that of the book itself, is
curious, mysterious, and fascinating."

I enjoy discovering little esoteric books like this.

In fact, my next read is One Good Turn: A Natural History of the Screwdriver and the Screw/Witold Rybczynski!

The Book on the Bookshelf/ Henry Petroski

"...as simple as the bookshelf might appear to be as an object of construction and utility,
the story of its development, which is intertwined with that of the book itself, is
curious, mysterious, and fascinating."

Reminds me of Kramer's Coffee Table book. :D

Back