• Happy National Shrimp Day! 🦐🍤

What are you reading?

I'm reading "Arundel" by Kenneth Roberts. It's a novel about Bennidect Arnolds amazing expedition up the Kennebec river to try to capture Quebec during the rev. war. I'm also rereading a factual account of the same thing by John Codman available free in archives. has anyone tried to re-do this canoe trip today?
Turtle

I just finished perusing two new (to me) books. Both by Edward Cave, published 100 years ago. The Boy Scout Hike Book, and the Boy Scout Camp Book. digital versions of the hike book are online, but I wanted my own paper copy for my collection.

The Old AuSable, by Hazen Miller.... an early history of the Grayling Mich. area and the AuSable River. I read it many years ago and finding it a good read again.

Just finished "Losing The Head Of Phillip K. Dick"...I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was going to be a farce, but it is a serious look at the development of AI and robotics between 1995 and 2005.

Roy MacGregor's book on the mystery of Tom Thomson's death (1917 in Algonquin park)... very readable page after page and there probably will be more MacGregor coming... Canoe Lake, A Life In The Bush, Canoe Country.

Years ago I picked up a battered old copy of Norman Mailer's The Naked And The Dead at a yard sale for 50 cents, a WW2 account of an American invasion of a Japanese island in the south Pacific... read first on a canoe trip and I've read it again several times since. So how's life in heck...

“Red had a deep loathing of the night before them. He had been through so much combat, had felt so many kinds of terror, and had seen so many men killed that he no longer had any illusions about the inviolability of his own flesh. He knew he could be killed; it was something he had accepted long ago, and he had grown a shell about that knowledge so that he rarely thought of anything further ahead than the next few minutes.”

“Everything was damp and rife and hot as though the jungle were an immense collection of oily rags growing hotter and hotter under the dark stifling vaults of a huge warehouse. Heat licked at everything, and the foliage, responding, grew to prodigious sizes. In the depths, in the heat and the moisture, it was never silent. The birds cawed, the small animals and occasional snakes rustled and squealed, and beneath it all was a hush, almost palpable, in which could be heard the rapt absorbed sounds of vegetation growing.”

Ever since the sad news of Stuart McLean's passing I've been scouring our bookshelves for the copies of Vinyl Cafe I've collected over the years. https://www.vinylcafe.com/
I first heard him on Morningside, a daily morning ritual for many CBC radio listeners for years, myself included. Stuart acted as a kind of roving reporter, tape recorder in hand, exploring the small stories of people, places and human interest regular journalists pass over. He carried on his humorous and keen insights into regular lives with his book Welcome Home, Travels in Smalltown Canada.
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1877618.Welcome_Home
The Vinyl Cafe series of books have been remarkable collections of short story episodes of a fictitious family loving life as best they can, with calamitous and awkward moments guaranteed every chapter. His writing brings both laughter and tears, but always ends in hope. We've had the pleasure of seeing his variety show Vinyl Cafe twice over the years. Americans might see a resemblance to A Prairie Home Companion; good humour, good music, good company. Before even leaving the drive we would plug in a Vinyl Cafe CD heading out on family vacations. It was comforting to hear of another family besides ours going through the same growing pains, and still arriving relatively unscathed at a final family destination.
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/8363.Stuart_McLean

I was lucky enough to do lights and sound for two of Stuart's shows in our little town. He would do things like that, tour every little armpit town in Canada. At the last show, he had a powerhouse of a blues singer with him, a little short girl who could kill dragons with her voice. As I was stringing cables, she was laying on her back in the middle of the stage, doing some complicated stretching. Just as I stepped over her, she ripped out the deadliest fart heard this side of Manitouwadge. I kind of froze mid step and Stuart caught my eye, and gave his head a little twitch, which I assumed meant keep going on with business as usual. I guess he was used to tiny blues singing, farting gals, me, not so much.

Maybe you just bring out the best in people mem.
It would've been interesting meeting Stuart McLean. There's all kinds of letters in the papers now about how he touched people's lives and made a difference. He was more than simply an entertainer, but never wishing to be a guru guide either. His show always opened with a monologue in which he spoke admiringly of the town or city the show was presently in. I liked that he dug deeply into the social fabric of the place, and would get to know a character or two in the short time he'd visit before the live show. A small town barber, school teacher, mill worker; a big city baker, librarian, shop owner. He'd use that personal encounter as a doorway into the character of the community, and share the sense of small wonders in a big wonderful world with the audience. It's a pity not all his shows were taped for the radio. I'd love to hear what he discovered about each and every one. Like Geraldton. Which locals did he have a morning coffee with, pencil and paper in hand, peeling back layers of the small talk history of the place?
Yesterday M and I went for a walk, and I mentioned how good it would be to have a food thermos of hot soup sometimes for these kinds of walks. She said we should stop off at Value Village ( a used clothing/goods discount store) on the way home. Apparently there's lots of everything there, including thermoses. Clever thinking on her part, because she perused the clothes aisles while I hunted for thermoses. But, I never made it past the books. I found two Stuart McLean titles, but I have just about everything he's written, including those two. I pondered buying them anyway and sending them to someone who might like them. But I didn't. I did pick up instead a collection of Neil Gaiman (sci-fi). Like Stuart, never stop looking, observing, discovering.

Just finished my second trip through Miracle at Philidelphia, by Catherine Drinker Bowen. Historical account of the Constitutional Convention of 1787. Really brings the time to life.

Mike McCrea - as a history buff, I think you would like it.

Just finished my second trip through Miracle at Philidelphia, by Catherine Drinker Bowen. Historical account of the Constitutional Convention of 1787. Really brings the time to life.

Mike McCrea - as a history buff, I think you would like it.

Steve, thanks, I will add it to the list.

Most recent really striking read was J.D Vance’s Hillbilly Elegy.

https://www.amazon.com/Hillbilly-El...id=1488750086&sr=1-1&keywords=hillbilly+elegy

I was 6 weeks on the library wait-list for it, and it was worth the wait. That book has been months on the Best Sellers non-fiction lists and deservedly so.

Vance is a gifted writer, especially for a first book, and his story and perceptions are topically important. And, although my Scot-Irish ancestors settled in upstate NY instead of Kentucky, his kinfolk in tone and tenor are my people too.

Good lord I bet he is sitting on a hefty advance for his next book.

Imagine if you will finding on the internet simple plans for building a box, comprising of easily acquired electronic components and a toggle switch, all powered by ...a potato. You build one, you try it and...you find yourself lurched into another earthly dimension, seemingly a reflection of this planet's past. With every push of the switch you "step" forward or backwards, depending whether you push the switch left or right, "east" or "west". Given that these plans were shown on the world wide web, you're not the only one with this dimension shifting ability. What are the consequences? What lies in store for you, and the world?
The obvious parallel with this sci-fi plot is the early American frontier. The quest for new lands, new resources and new freedoms. Except in The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter, there are no other cultures inhabiting these outlier worlds, only flora and fauna of our earth's past and future. Well, almost no other sentient beings. This is a sci-fi story after-all.

Last edited:
Just started to re-read A LAND GONE LONESOME by Dan O'Neall. A solo trip down the Yukon River, from Dawson to Circle in a 19 foot Grumman square stern, with a motor. One of the really nice things about getting older is, you can look in your own home library find a book that you know is good and reread it knowing that you don't have a recollection of having read it before. I do remember buying a half dozen copies of this book to send to my friends. O'Neall writes about the human history of this stretch of the big river in a very readable way. I know or knew a few of the folks he is writing about or have heard stories about them.

I read quite a bit this winter, but just finished up a book called 'White Cargo' and it had quite an effect on me. Not a cheery, fun read, actually rather depressing.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0814...6_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=white+cargo+book

My family is Scottish with genealogy done back to the Revolutionary War. We always understood that we came to the colonies as indentured servents, but more likely deported as part of the Brittish depopulation/genocide efforts in Scotland and Ireland.

I'm more convinced than ever that almost everything we think we know about history, even recent history, is a lie.

Suggested by a fellow forum member I recently finished and enjoyed listening to Barkskins.

"an epic, dazzling, violent, magnificently dramatic novel about taming the wilderness, set over two centuries." I might disagree or use another word than "taming" however....

619Lo3WmDpL._SL300_.jpg

Tales from Misery Ridge by Paul Fournier ($4.47 0n Abe Books with free shipping). Paul has had an interesting life in Northen Maine, lots of good short stories of the old days in the north woods.

I'm headed up to Moose River Bow near Jackman, Maine this May with a few guys from the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association (at least 4 Chestnuts will be on the water) and reading Pauls book has been a nice trip prep.

Bad week for Robbins, first Royal Robbins, now Chandler Robbins.

I spent some time in the ’70 at the mist nets and banding station with Chandler Robbins, and use his 1966 field guide to the birds of North America to this day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...27c98455440_story.html?utm_term=.11afd5229b55

I never did get around to telling him that the bird nest I “found” during a walk he led at Irish Grove, which he kept, and identified as a Marsh Wren’s, was actually the result of me wrapping dried grass around my fingers.

I am scratching two chronic itches at once: maps and books/bookstores.

On The Map: a Mind-Expanding Exploration of the Way the World Looks by Simon Garfield.
"More people use more maps than at any other time in human history, but we have not lost sight of their beauty, romance or inherent usefulness. And nor have we mislaid our stories....For when we gaze at a map - any map, in any format, from any era - we still find nothing so much as history and ourselves."

The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop: a memoir, a history by Lewis Buzbee
"November, a dark, rainy Tuesday, late afternoon. This is my ideal time to be in a bookstore. The shortened light of the afternoon and the idleness and hush of the hour gather everything close, the shelves and the books and the few other customers who graze head-bent in the narrow aisles."

Currently reading "Canoeist's Little Book of Wisdom" by Cliff Jacobson, a couple hundred suggestions, observations, and reminders for canoeists to read, remember and share. Some are just plain good common sense and a few are humorous. And then there are a small few that I have no idea what in the world he is talking about! I haven't always agreed with CJ but this is a quick and enjoyable little book.

Back