• Happy Star Wars Day! 🌇🚶🏼‍,👑👊🏼🔙

What are you reading?

As the Summer wound down, it seemed everywhere I turned I kept running into reviews about this book, starting with the NY Times bestseller list as well as local paper and radio.....I stopped off at the library on the way home from work one evening to pick up some books I had on order and this book was front and center on the libraries "Fast Read" shelf. I added it to my stack and went on home. To me, any book with the word Astrophysics in it is a little intimidating....Other than parent teacher conferences/open houses with the kids, I haven't seen the inside of a classroom in over 35 years.........How many times have we sat on the riverbank staring up into the night sky wondering.....? I decided to give it a shot and see if I could find some answers......I am glad I did! Of course for every answer I found, I also came up with 6 more questions......The author's passion for the sciences and nerdy sense of humor abound throughout the book. It is only a little over two hundred pages...the chapters are all short and build upon each other....There have been a lot of new discoveries in science/physics since I last studied it....some proven, some still theoretical.....The next time I am sitting on a riverbank staring at the night time sky, I will certainly have a greater appreciation for it!

Mike

Attachments

• photo8303.jpg
    photo8303.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Haven't been thinking much about canoeing the past few months but rummaging through boxes the other night came across two I hadn't read yet, both by Capt. Thierry Mallet who once worked for the Revillon Freres trading company. Plain Tales of the North and Glimpses of the Barren Lands. They're short books of short stories about his experiences in the north from just before and after WWI. I thought Glimpses of the Barren Lands was the better of the two books. The stories were a little longer and had more substance to them. Fascinating glimpse back in time with some incredible and also heartbreaking stories. Both books are worth searching out on the used market.

One thing I didn't like was his reluctance to use peoples full names or to always name the places he's writing about. But it also makes it a bit of a detective game as well. My favorite story of putting clues together was his story about spending the winter in a small remote cabin to trade with the natives. He described traveling 28 days by dogsled from the end of the rail line and then traveling another nearly 2 weeks north of that to his cabin situated along a river a little south of the tree line. He described the location of his cabin on a hill near the river just as it curved east and plunged down a wild set of falls. The cabin was at the head of a 2 mile portage around the falls. Everything he described made me think it was likely at Kasmere Falls, which I know had a Revillon Freres trading post at that time. He ends up meeting Kasmere himself that winter and travels multiple times to their encampment to trade. He describes this encampment as well and I'm nearly positive it's the large site where Kasmere Lake empties into Graves Lake on the Thlewiaza River.

Both of those places I came across pretty much by accident last year when canoeing through the area. It was a joy to hear him describe his small 10x15 cabin and as he did I could remember seeing two depressions in the ground from old cabins with the logs that made up the side walls rotted away to nearly nothing. He talks about the cold and how he had his small wood stove glowing red nearly all winter and I can remember seeing pieces of an old stove inside the cabin site. Not only that but when I stopped to cook bannock at that spot for lunch I used a piece of that stove as a base for my twig burner so I wouldn't burn the ground.

The site of the indian encampment I had came across by accident as well at the end of a long day. As I read his story I had a huge smile on my face as everything he described about its appearance fit perfectly with my recollections. Never have I felt such a connection with history.

Kind of hard to see but this is one of the old cabins. The rotting log walls are nothing more than berms surrounding the depression:
29912938751_8018bd20fe_c.jpg
20160827_354 by Alan, on Flickr

A piece of an old stove. Was it the same one Capt. Mallet used?
29961986586_98412c032d_c.jpg
20160827_355 by Alan, on Flickr

Me cooking bannock and making use of that stove 100 years later:
29702188120_262956cea4_c.jpg
20160827_352 by Alan, on Flickr

A look over the old indian encampment from the hill behind it:
29852050516_c8629659a1_c.jpg
20160815_248 by Alan, on Flickr

For the last week I've been daydreaming of the north again.

Alan

Haven't been thinking much about canoeing the past few months but rummaging through boxes the other night came across two I hadn't read yet, both by Capt. Thierry Mallet who once worked for the Revillon Freres trading company. Plain Tales of the North and Glimpses of the Barren Lands. They're short books of short stories about his experiences in the north from just before and after WWI. I thought Glimpses of the Barren Lands was the better of the two books. The stories were a little longer and had more substance to them. Fascinating glimpse back in time with some incredible and also heartbreaking stories. Both books are worth searching out on the used market.

One thing I didn't like was his reluctance to use peoples full names or to always name the places he's writing about. But it also makes it a bit of a detective game as well. My favorite story of putting clues together was his story about spending the winter in a small remote cabin to trade with the natives. He described traveling 28 days by dogsled from the end of the rail line and then traveling another nearly 2 weeks north of that to his cabin situated along a river a little south of the tree line. He described the location of his cabin on a hill near the river just as it curved east and plunged down a wild set of falls. The cabin was at the head of a 2 mile portage around the falls. Everything he described made me think it was likely at Kasmere Falls, which I know had a Revillon Freres trading post at that time. He ends up meeting Kasmere himself that winter and travels multiple times to their encampment to trade. He describes this encampment as well and I'm nearly positive it's the large site where Kasmere Lake empties into Graves Lake on the Thlewiaza River.

Both of those places I came across pretty much by accident last year when canoeing through the area. It was a joy to hear him describe his small 10x15 cabin and as he did I could remember seeing two depressions in the ground from old cabins with the logs that made up the side walls rotted away to nearly nothing. He talks about the cold and how he had his small wood stove glowing red nearly all winter and I can remember seeing pieces of an old stove inside the cabin site. Not only that but when I stopped to cook bannock at that spot for lunch I used a piece of that stove as a base for my twig burner so I wouldn't burn the ground.

The site of the indian encampment I had came across by accident as well at the end of a long day. As I read his story I had a huge smile on my face as everything he described about its appearance fit perfectly with my recollections. Never have I felt such a connection with history.

Alan, that really blows my mind and gets me all the more interested in that incredible chunk of the world! Incredibly ironic that you posted here so recently and about that trip of all things because I finally got around to reading Downes's Sleeping Island.

For those who don't know, Sleeping Island is P.G. Downes's account of his 1939 trip to Nueltin Lake in Nunavut, Canada, the route of which Alan followed for his incredible trip last year.

I've had the book for about a week now but I'm only 120 pages or so in, not because it's a boring book (quite the opposite, it's absolutely thrilling) or because I'm a slow reader, but because with every page I stop to search a location on google maps, read some references to other historical trips through the area, dig into Alan's trip to find some similarities, or to do some quick research on the fate of whichever person or place may pop up. All in all it's become one of the most interesting and involved reads I've ever done.

The previous post was excellent!!!. I too follow maps and other references as I read (trip reports/books/old posts) I'm dreaming of a northern road trip and every trip report or related book recommendation gets me a little closer.

Alan my friend you have been bitten by the Northern bug. There is no known cure. Enjoy to the fullest.

Was at a yard sale and picked up an old book by Tapley, who wrote a lot for sporting magazines here in the US when I was young. He had a column called "Tapp's Tips". The book is a compendium of his articles and is really fascinating to read. Some of it is surprises you with how much maintenance old equipment needed and how much things have changed, while some is solid gold in "hacks" for field expedient repairs or methods that have been lost in our culture of "throw it out and buy a new one".

I finally got around to reading Downes's Sleeping Island.

I've had the book for about a week now but I'm only 120 pages or so in, not because it's a boring book (quite the opposite, it's absolutely thrilling) or because I'm a slow reader, but because with every page I stop to search a location on google maps, read some references to other historical trips through the area, dig into Alan's trip to find some similarities, or to do some quick research on the fate of whichever person or place may pop up. All in all it's become one of the most interesting and involved reads I've ever done.

See if you can find copies of Downes's journals from his northern travels. It's a two volume set called Distant Summers (volumes I and II). They're no longer in print. Last I looked volume I was still easy to find but Volume II was about non-existent. Someone else was looking for it and couldn't find it. I Googled the ISBN number and finally found one place that had it. If you can find a copy you better buy it as it might be your last chance unless it goes back into print.

They're as interesting to read as Sleeping Island with more references to local people, places, and events. One of the journals is from his trip to Nueltin which eventually became Sleeping Island. That's in volume II.

Alan

See if you can find copies of Downes's journals from his northern travels. It's a two volume set called Distant Summers (volumes I and II). They're no longer in print. Last I looked volume I was still easy to find but Volume II was about non-existent. Someone else was looking for it and couldn't find it. I Googled the ISBN number and finally found one place that had it. If you can find a copy you better buy it as it might be your last chance unless it goes back into print.

They're as interesting to read as Sleeping Island with more references to local people, places, and events. One of the journals is from his trip to Nueltin which eventually became Sleeping Island. That's in volume II.

Alan

Yeah, I've been looking all over for them, I did find a copy of Volume I, but it was going for about $150, which is more than a Sailor's salary can afford. I have been reading some journals of his posted in Arctic magazine in the 80s or so, To Great Slave and Great Bear, which have a lot of great tie-ins and references in Sleeping Island. They can be found in a few places in PDF format. A bit hard to reach on meager shipboard bandwidth, but I'll take whatever I can get.

Yeah, I've been looking all over for them, I did find a copy of Volume I, but it was going for about $150, which is more than a Sailor's salary can afford.

That's too bad. Abe books used to always have Volume I available for the normal price but that appears to have dried up now too and I can't find any other sources either. Hopefully someone reprints it.

Alan

Perhaps someone ( cough cough) should gather up all of these wonderful old books and acquire the rights to reprint them. If might be a good retirement hobby.

Regarding the Downes journals: The publisher, McGahern Stewart, on their website,

http://www.mcgahernbooks.ca/mcspublishing/index.htm

indicates that the first volume is out of print but available as an e-book on Amazon. The second volume is listed for sale.

Might be worth contacting them.

-wjmc

Here's the real champ! As much as I hate to admit it, I might actually have to buy an e-book. I hate to do it, I really need a physical copy of almost anything be it music, books, or anything else, but an electronic copy is better than no copy.

Just finished an off topic read that was most interesting: Feud: Hatfields, McCoys, and Social Change in Appalachia, 1860-1900, Altina L. Waller.

An in depth look at the cultural and socio-economic aspects of the region and people that disputes much of what has been written about the infamous events. A most interesting time in American history.

I just finished a nice little book "The Lady and The Trapper" It takes place in the late 1980's on the Kenamu River in Labrador. The author, Mary Walker spends time with a trapper in a tilt running a trap line and living the good life at 30 below. I bought it used on the cheap from Abe Books.

I got a couple of great gifts for my birthday. A real nice t-shirt with a bright red canoe on it. (Too bad it doesn't fit.) And a book I've been wanting to find. Crow Country, by Mark Cocker. The author is an English naturalist writer whose pastoral work I've come across before and enjoyed. He devotes this book to the most fascinating of birds, the family of corvidae - crows, ravens, jackdaws etc. I'm going to spend the next few weeks getting to know these intelligent and social birds a little better. And if at the same time I alter my diet a little (a lot) I just might fit into that cool t-shirt.

Last edited:
A couple recent recommendations.

Killers of the Flower Moon, The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI (David Grann)

The Fate of Rome, Climate, Disease and the End of an Empire (Kyle Harper)

Fading Shadows (William Chance)

Leonardo da Vinci (Walter Isaacson)

Back