• Happy Birthday, William Shakespeare (1564-1616)! 2️⃣🅱️, 🚫2️⃣🅱️

Weight Loss Program

Reaction score
I built a John Winters Kite a few years ago and decided a while ago that it needed a little more updating. Being my first build, I went a bit overboard and added an inch or so to the height of the hull and like most rookies, way overbuilt the gunwales. Here's a link to the original build thread:

Another Kite Build

IMG-2378.JPG

The Kite has a sharp knuckled tumblehome running the entire length of the boat, so it really doesn't require much in terms of gunwales to give the hull it's required stiffness.

IMG-2381.JPG

Since the gunwales are epoxied in place, I decided to cut off that extra height along with the ash gunwales. Here's the perfect saw for that job, and it cuts so easy!

IMG-2383.JPG

Halfway down the first side in no time.

IMG-2387.JPG

Off with the gunwales! The solid ash gunwales and extra height weigh an amazing 10.5 pounds. After I fill all the holes from the spray decks and float bag rigging that were under the old gunwales, I'll screw on new scuppered spruce gunwales. I think I'll easily take 5 pounds off the boat. I never weighed the boat before, but maybe I need to do that to document the before vs. the after.

Mark

You're certainly not wasting your winter! Snowpack is sort of scary out there!

Yes, on to the next thing. I don't feel so bad about not being able to get out in the backcountry with those conditions. I'll finally be ready to get out on skis in another week or so, maybe we'll get winter 2.0 like last year. I hope so.

That is cool ! I'd have to save those gunnels and make a picture frame, or something out of them !

That is one way to reduce the weight !

I glue my gunnels on also. I don't add shear height to my builds, but if I needed to take off the Outwhale, I would just use a router with a straight cut bit and bearing.

Cool !

Jim

That is cool ! I'd have to save those gunnels and make a picture frame, or something out of them !

Jim

I'd hang them, complete, on the wall of the shop as decoration. As a matter of fact I might just do that in my new shop. Been thinking of some way to decorate a wall with a canoe shape and this would be perfect.

Alan

Here's what one side of the garage already looks like. The MR explorer hull that goes along with this is the perfect cover for the royalex prospector. A good place to hang a broken paddle too.

IMG-2391.JPG

I don’t have any gunnels that need cutting off, but I could see making up a special one sized for the room.
oh great another project. Glad my wife doesn’t follow this forum.
Jim

Back