• Happy Midnight Ride of Paul Revere (1775)! ⛪🕯️🕛🏇🏼

Wcpp

Reaction score
Hello all,
I'm headed up to Woodland Caribou Provincial Park on the 22nd or 23rd of July for a solo trip and the annual gathering at Glenn Lake. If anyone would like to tandem up or into the park I've got room for another canoe and another person. I will be traveling from Hurley, Wisconsin to Red Lake along US-2 to US-53 in Duluth and on to International Falls, and then north to Red Lake. I would be happy to make a detour to pick you up if necessary.

Let me know ASAP. I know this is short notice but I just had some changes in my schedule so that I can go.

Hogan
eabessen@gmail.com
715-851-3846 or 715-476-3777

I've changed my plans slightly. There's a float plane going in to Walking Stick Lake to pick up some fishermen on the 27th, and because it's going in empty I got a good price. It's a great opportunity for me to get to start my trip on the west side of Woodland Caribou. The farthest west I've been is Hansen Lake, so I'm really pumped! I'll be in the park until August 9th.

I will post a report and pictures as soon as I get back and find a way to reduce the photos. 12.1 megapixel photos sometimes will not post on this site.

Nice Offer to share the ride

Nice Offer to share the ride

That's pretty nice of you to offer to share the ride to WCPP.

What with ST down for so long, I was wondering how the Gathering plans where going. I'm happy to hear it's still on and I hope you all have a good time. Think of us who will be there in spirit while you guys sit around the fire enjoying the view.

How did you hear about the cheaper flight? Harlan at Red Lake Outfitters? Or did you just call around? That's a great way to get a nice trip in, fly out, paddle back.

So enjoy Glenn Lake, I camped across the lake a couple of years back and enjoyed that bed of moss I slept on, and the view!
When I checked out my site on Glenn Lake, I found no one had been there for a while, grass was growing in the fire pit.

It wasn't long before I was cooking Glenn Lake walleys on my cold handle frying pan over a fire in that pit

And sleeping on a bed of moss out back that evening.....

I stuck around for pancakes the next morning I enjoyed that site so much!

Here's the bed of moss I slept on that night on Glenn Lake

Yes, I'm going through Harlan for the flight, and I believe that the gathering on Glenn Lake has been cancelled. I will, however be joining up with Bob B, Martin, and Farmer at Royd Lake on the first of August. That's four of the six who were at the gathering last year. Harlan and Jazzman will not be there.

I'll be starting out on Walking Stick Lake this time and will probably work my way over to arrive at Royd Lake on the first and then make a loop down to Glenn Lake on the way out. Where on Glenn Lake was your campsite?

I'll post a TR when I get back.

Last edited:
Where on Glenn Lake was your campsite?

I'll post a TR when I get back.

I came into Glenn Lake from the 100 meter portage from the south(out of Mexican Hat). I hugged the southern shore and I think it was on the S/W shore where I camped. It was a nice site, heard wolves at 4 in the afternoon across the lake, went out after dinner and caught/released a mess of walleyes, great memories.

I am looking forward to your TR, Thanks

My first post here but I can tell you that the 2012 gathering in WCPP went very well. Waleswalker flew into Royd on Aug. 1 with steaks, beer, cokes and ice. We consumed it all before the moon rose and headed east the next morning. Waleswalker was with me in 2009 when we found the final portages needed to travel in the bush through Constellation, Lightning, "Joey" a walleye lake not named on the map and out to Prairie Lake via 2km of creek. We followed that route and had a Gathering on the move with five paddlers, all in solos. There is much to share but Hogan can get the ball rolling on that with his great photography.
Martin Kehoe

I'm looking forward to hearing about the gathering, and seeing some pictures. I contacted Harlan and was planning a trip out to WCPP leaving CT on the 14th, but when the gas prices started climbing, I got cold feet and bailed out on the long drive out and back.
Anyway, Sounds like it was a good time.

Back